June 2013 Moms

Dream feeding

Okay major fail tonight. Got LO out of her crib and tried to feed her. She wouldn't latch. Finally after 20 minutes we got it. Went to switch boobs and she poops her pants. Then I had to change her. At least she was then awake enough to nurse. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Dream feeding

• I tried it a couple times when he was really little. The ideas is to feed them when you go to bed so if they've been sleeping awhile they eat a little and don't wake up as soon. You just pick them up quietly and put them to where they could latch on to feed. Sometimes LO would just open his mouth in his sleep and eat it was just reflex to suck and he would never wake up. Other times he wouldn't open his mouth to eat and I would just put him back down if you mess with them too much they will wake up. I did not dream feed more than a couple times successfully it never really kept him asleep much longer. And I wouldn't even try this anymore now that he's 12 weeks he much more aware and he would wake up if I picked him up. Hope this helps
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP. I did a week or so of dream feeds DD was like 4 or 5 weeks. It never made a difference and she is sleeping on average 8 hours a night now.

Plus I kinda started thinking dream feeding goes against feeding on demand and might just lead to an over feeding. Just my opinion.
              image image

• I just feed LO when she's hungry. I never feed her because a certain amount of time has passed or so she can be on a schedule. It's worker so far for us
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am not going to try again. Experiment failed!

• I work 7a-7p two days a week, and on those mornings I dream feed at 5am when I wake up. She latches easily at that time but she never could do it at night when I tried. This is possibly due to the fact that I'm usually spraying her in the face at 5am... :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have never tried this. I just feed on demand. My DD will wake up if moves most of the time anyway.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of my friends swears by dream feeding, she said it didn't go perfectly the first couple times. I tried and the actual dream feed went great, she didnt wake up, latched and ate well, but was then up at 3am when previously she slept until 5 or 6. I might give it another try in a week or two.

• My LO does this is the morning half of sleeping when I bring her into bed beside me to feed her. Sometimes I will let her fall to sleep side lying feeding and if I fall asleep as well, i wake multiple times throughout the rest of the morning from her latching or trying to latch on to snack in her sleep. Idk if it helps anything or not. If anything I think it would just encourage the breast as a pacifer to sleep with.

imageimage
  • My DH does the dream feed with a bottle of expressed breast milk at 10:30 pm. I can't get my kid to latch on the boob when he's sleeping, but he will take a bottle without waking up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"