Stay at Home Moms

3 day method potty training folks come in...

We are about to start potty training this month, and several of you seem to have had success with the 3 day method.  I get that you do cold turkey with diapers, but other than that - things to know?  Just frequently take them to the bathroom and then if (when!) they have accidents run them in the bathroom?  Anything else?
SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11

Re: 3 day method potty training folks come in...

• You are trying to potty train a boy that is not yet 2?
  • Constantly repeat "let me know when you have to pee" It puts the onus on them to eventually recognize the need and act on it rather than just going everytime you take them. Obviously there will be accidents until they figure it out. When they have an accident say "that's okay. Next time remember to tell me before you start peeing so we can run to the potty together". We made a big game out of running to the potty. We also did a crazy pee/poop dance everytime there was success. Lots of positive reinforcement is key!!! Have fun! ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Pedi said anytime after 21 months their bodies are ready to handle training. And that sometimes waiting too long can lead to defiance in training. I've had lots of friends be successful with boys before two, and he's definitely showing some interest.  So we're going to try pretty soon (without pressure - if it doesn't go well, we'll wait and try again).
  • He seems a little young to potty-train.  We tried at 27 months and again at 29 months and didn't have success until this month (31 months old.)  I'm a firm believer that it doesn't matter what method you use, they will do it when they are ready.  We did naked for a week and m&ms for pee in the potty.  He's still eating a lot of m&ms and still isn't pooping in the potty every time. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • According to the 3dpt method you are not supposed to run them to the bathroom according to a clock. You are supposed to let them let you know when they have to go. Thus, the need to keep a very close eye on them. Tips:

Get a portable potty and put it in the room the child is in.

Have the cleaning products readily at hand. Start the day with a lot of clean underwear.

Do it on a long weekend when DH is home and able to help. Also, don't go anywhere during that time.

Some kids do well starting with wearing underwear from day one, like DD. Some do better naked, like DS. Do what works best for your child.

Lots of encouragement. Don't show frustration. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks Cherryblossom!  Good tips!  

• My son is 37 months and not ready. I would think starting too early would lead to more problems than starting too late. My pedi said for boys, before 4 is good. I have girls also and followed their lead. One was 27 months and one was 37 months. No defiance and no accidents either.
  • 1) small portable potty in the living room with us vs running to the bathroom
    2) kept her naked bottom down.  
    3) timer - I started her off at every 10 min for the first 2 hours, then moved up to every 15 min for the next two hours, then 20 min for the rest of the day.
    4) i over-hydrated her.  I wanted her to feel her urine and poo run down her leg so she can really understand the icky factor. 
    6) I was ever ever vigilant for her signs. 
    7) I never got angry with mistakes and crazy praised her positive actions - from sitting on the potty and going to going to the potty by herself every single time. I thought my cheeks were going to burst with my fake smiling. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • No flames and no judgement here folks!  And I know there's totally nothing wrong with him training later if this doesn't work.  I just thought with him showing lots of interest it's worth a shot!  We shall see...
  • No one is judging but as moms of older kids we are giving you advice. I PT my daughter at 18 months it too 4 months before she went 3 days accident free. I wised up and PT my son at three it took five minutes and he went his first three days accident free. A your sons age it is more parent training if you wan to do it go for it, but more than likely you are causing more work for yourself.
  • No one is judging but as moms of older kids we are giving you advice. I PT my daughter at 18 months it too 4 months before she went 3 days accident free. I wised up and PT my son at three it took five minutes and he went his first three days accident free. A your sons age it is more parent training if you wan to do it go for it, but more than likely you are causing more work for yourself.
    I think that may "no flames or judgement here folks" comment came across the wrong way.  I meant that *I* wasn't trying to flame, or pass judgement or say "a kid SHOULD be potty trained at this age" etc.  I wasn't trying to imply that someone with a 3 yo in diapers was doing anything wrong...

And I totally appreciate the comments from moms of older kids - that's why I read this board!!

• Forget this attitude of "if it doesn't work, no big deal!" You have to be totally, 100% committed to this method for it to work. Or else it won't work. You will think for the first 2 days that it isn't working at all, and you have to power through, or it will all have been a waste. It will suck. It will suck for you and it will suck for your child. He will cry. You will cry. You will both be exhausted.

That said, yes, it works. I did it with my oldest when he was about two and some months. He was trained with pee in three days, poop took until about day 5. And then we were done. No  accidents except very occasional bedwetting, forever and ever, amen. But it sucked so badly that I didn't even attempt it with my second and just put up with pullups and accidents until he was 3.5 and figured it out on his own. Wasn't even worth it to me to go through that a second time.
  • I just did this with my LO at 19 months. I will PM you my blog link with how we did it :)

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • What Hizzo said. Especially with the sucking. It works, but...and seriously if it wasn't for preschool...I would be content to have left him in diapers. (And he's almost 3.5) it seems like 3-3.5 is when boys will most readily pick up what you're putting down.
  • There is a school of thought that you have a very small window of time, typically between 18 and 22 months or so- where you can successfully PT in a few days. Past a certain point, it will be more difficult and would be better to wait until closer to 3. My LO was showing signs of PTing, asking to have diaper changed etc. I was not going to encourage him to ignore what his body was telling him to make it easier on me now (but harder later). Yes, many children aren't ready until later, but some are. If her LO is showing signs of readiness, good for him! I agree with the naked from the waist down, lots of praise (we did a sticker and mini chocolate chip each potty success) and tiny potty in the area we were at. We had, I think 3 accidents the entire three days when he was 19 months. It was tiring (to keep such a close eye on him ALL the time), but not nearly as difficult as I'd heard. The only thing I wish I had listened to early on is keep him in underwear at night and nap. For the first few weeks, he was staying dry until the morning (or until after nap) and I figured it was fine to keep a diaper on him then just in case. Well, now he is wetting about 50% of the time and I missed that window. It will be an effort to night train later on, but lesson learned!

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • I didn't do the three day method with DS1, but I think we pushed him much more than he was ready for...potty training was horrible. with DS2, we did start the process, but he was just ready at that point, and it took about a week to go from diapers full-time to undies. It also depends on the kid - you know his personality, does it seem like 3DPT would be okay for him? I'm not understanding the defiance issue with potty training you keep mentioning. They're either ready or not. hth
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• We did 3 day method with #3 and it worked great.  I did not have a child in diapers over 2.5 (yes, I do only have girls though).  It was so much easier than with #1 and #2.  We also started introducing the toilet at 12-18 months with all of them and that I know my kids are not scarred from that.  We've also never done a potty chair, only a ring on the toilet - but that is another debate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"