Cloth Diapering

Prefolds vs AIOs

I have enough GMD newborn and small's with Thirsties Duo Wraps and BB, but I was wondering about those late night or quick changes when many parents reach for an AIO, especially during the newborn stage. Should I invest in some newborn fitteds or AIOs, or just trifold in a cover when we feel lazy? Trifolding I know will probably result in a dirty cover, but for about the same price I feel like I would get more use out of a cover.

Re: Prefolds vs AIOs

• Even late night/early morning diaper changes we used prefolds and covers.  We almost always trifolded which is super easy.  But we did not always end up with a soiled cover.  We had 8 covers to get us through the newborn stage and I washed EOD.  I think you are fine to use just the prefolds and covers.  I actually find prefolds to be easier than a fitted but that is just me.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• You may want a couple just to try. I had a bit of everything for newborn stage, and tended to like fitteds at night for being easy and bulletproof. DH felt most comfortable with lil joeys, and we only had 4, so i left them for him. If nothing else it gives you insight before buying the next size or one-size. I loved the easy changeover AIOs, hated the dry time, so we went with pockets for OS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Fitteds were nice during the early weeks when I was still trying to master different folds and figure out what would work on DS. They're great for holding in runny NB poo, especially when you're just learning how to fold and snappi a prefold.
  • I highly recommend the newborn GMD workhorse fitteds. They are much cheaper than AIOs and very daddy and middle of the night friendly.  They also dry faster than AIOs.  Of all the pockets I have, my DH will grab a fitted and cover instead.  You wouldn't need too many fitteds (6?) to get you through two nights.  I got the workhorses with snaps, but a lot of people like to snappy the snapless workhorses for a better fit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I was planning on getting a little bit of everything to try, but in OS. Wasn't sure if it was worth it in the newborn stage, but I like the idea of a few workhorses to round out my newborn stash since everyone seems to like them and they also aren't very expensive. My Thirsties will work on newborn right? The BB seem to have mixed reviews with newborns.
  • I'd get a handful of workhorses. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • If your using prefolds the rest of the time. They will be easy in the middle of the night.

The true benefit of AIOs for me was the trimness. Which is no big deal in the MOTN.
  • I used to tri-fold. I didn't mind the covers getting dirty. Honestly, when he was pooping almost constantly, he wouldn't poop enough for it to get on the cover. Now that he poop's once or twice a day, it gets in the cover, but it is only two covers a day that would get poopy. So if you have 6 covers, you are fine.

Now I am loving my covers with a bamboo insert in them. Super trim and really easy!
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"