June 2013 Moms

Breastfeeding and Period

Has anyone who is EBF started their period? I'm pretty sure I'm ovulating so I guess I have that to look forward to in a couple weeks... I heard it can affect your milk supply so I'm just wondering if anyone has experience. Ughh...

Re: Breastfeeding and Period

• TheTamedShrewTheTamedShrew member
    edited August 2013
    I am 10 weeks PP and EBFing and I just got mine this week. It's totally normal for some and it hasn't affected my supply at all. I think the hormones can affect the taste, but DD hasn't complained :)

ETA: I would consider yourself fertile though, and use some form of BC if you aren't already because babies conceived earlier than 6 months PP have a higher risk of preterm birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary       

• I EBF too, and I got my period a few weeks ago- around my 6 week PP checkup. I have been pretty moody lately- I am prob PMS'ing. Doesn't mean I will start my period though. 

I always had my period when I EBF'ed my other kids, I am sure it will be this same this time around. 

**knock on wood...I will probably get it tomorrow now**

• Loading the player...
  • I am EBF and got my period at 10 weeks pp.  It is now 12 weeks and i'm spotting so maybe it is ovulation, even though I have never spotted during ovulation before?
    TTC since 2/2009
    11/2010 - Surprise BFP - m/c @ 16 weeks - dx Lupus Anticoagulant
    1/2012 - Clomid & IUI #4= BFP twins! On Lovenox - m/c @ 16 weeks

9/2012 - Clomid & IUI #5= BFP! EDD 6/6/13

I may have to wait....I'll never give up.
    I guess it's half timing and the other half's luck. - Buble
  • I'm EBF and just started my period a few days ago at 12 weeks pp. I haven't noticed any problems with my milk supply and DS still seems content during feedings.
    image         image

• I got my period with my son at around 6 months post partum and it did affect my supply. I noticed because I pumped and my output was less. According to my lactation consultant, it is common for your supply to decrease around ovulation and return to normal after you start your period. She said that taking a calcium magnesium supplement would help.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think I just ovulated. Those lovely mid cycle cramps I've missed for almost a year! I was really hoping I'd be one of those lucky ladies who didn't get their period back for the whole time they EBF. We will find out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"