LGBT Parenting
Options

Federal Tax Benefits!

My wife just sent me this story, and I think it impacts many families on this board:

https://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/all-legal-same-sex-marriages-will-be-recognized-for-federal-tax-purposes

So, if I am reading this correctly, I can file a joint tax return with my wife next year? And I will no longer have to pay taxes on her health benefits through my employer (not as sure about this one)?

I want to be excited, but I am hesitant. Anyone else have insight on what this means for a legally married same sex couple NOT living in a marriage equality state?

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********

Re: Federal Tax Benefits!

• Options
    I have also read that we should also be able to file amendments for the last three years to reclaim as married (if you were actually married at the time). I am on the turbotax gay email blast, I guess the IRS is still trying to get their act together. 

I had not seen anything about the legal marriage in a "non-legal" state. Good to know! 
  • Options
    Ladies, this is GREAT news!!!  This means our marriages will be honored as long as they were performed legally in a state with marriage equality.  So yes, KH826, that's correct - you'll be able to file your taxes jointly :) I think this will extend all the way through to our health benefits.  DP and I have separate tax-saver accounts and I can't tap her funds because we're not married.  But that's gonna change soon!  She just sent me an e-mail asking me to marry her - I'm so happy!  Now our TTC efforts won't completely bankrupt us!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The Treasury said that the ruling applies to “all federal tax provisions where marriage is a factor, including filing status, claiming personal and dependency exemptions, taking the standard deduction, employee benefits, contributing to an I.R.A., and claiming the earned income tax credit or child tax credit.”  - Should apply to your employee benefits too, @KJ826
  • Options
    This is great great great news! Thank you for sharing!
    My name is A, I am wife to J.  After 7 months of ttc and one MC, we are expecting two baby girls in 2014!

• Options
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We've filed out federal taxes essentially as married for the past two years. Our CPA did the research, and since we were registered domestic partners there was some requirement. I dunno. We just do what he says. Worked out great the first year, not as great the second.
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    DP and I did the math yesterday... we'd have a $2500 penalty for being married :( is it that terrible for everyone else, too?
  • Options
    I got a letter in the mail from my employer so I will now stop seeing the additional taxes for helath care coverage. My wife is an accountant she is going to look a little deeper in to amending our taxes for past 3 years to see if its a benefit to do so or not.

Married in September 2010, started TTC journey November 2012

Me-

7 IUI- 2 CP- 2 BFN

RPL blood work 12/27, showed a balance translocation in chromosome 11;22  

Spouse-

PCOS 4 IUI-4 BFN

New Plan: Reciprocal IVF, me as carrier wife's eggs. Just went through insurance and received partial approval, so my part will go through my IVF benefits and wife's part will be out of pocket. Now just finalizing finance plans to cover the oop costs. Doctors office is in process of moving to a new building so there are no IVF start ups until March/April 2015. 

• Options
    lbugher said:
    DP and I did the math yesterday... we'd have a $2500 penalty for being married :( is it that terrible for everyone else, too?

Yes, the first year it worked out well for us, but the second year we essentially paid a penalty for being married. :( I know a lot of people in Washington waiting for the 'forced' marriage conversion of their domestic partnership due to the tax implications. For us, since I was pregnant at the time, it was more important for us to be married when the baby was born then the moola...but it can be a HUGE hit depending on your income level.
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• Options

Ugh, bummer... I want us to be married but I also love the sweet refund we get after doing our taxes.  Our incomes are nearly identical because we do similar work.  I could see how it would benefit us if only one of us worked or one of us had a much higher paying job but alas... My friend is an accountant.  I'm going to ask her to figure it out for us next winter.

• Options
    yay equal rights! thanks for sharing :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"