Stay at Home Moms

Dementia

I posted not too long ago about some memory trouble my dad was having and got a lot of great feedback so I I thought I would update. Today he was diagnose with early stage dementia. I haven't had a chance to sit down with my parents yet and find out what the game plan is. :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dementia

• My grandmother has it. I'm sorry your family is going to have to go through this. It's really hard, because, as I noticed when recently visiting my gma, it's not only confusion, it's fear. I could see it in her eyes that she was scared she didn't know who I was or where she was or whatever. That was an aspect I was not expecting, so prepare yourself for that aspect. Also, elderly with dementia seem to do much better in the morning and decline as the day goes by- it's called Sunsetting, I believe, but knowing that made it easier to schdule vists, doc appts, ect. Good luck!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm so sorry. My Grandmother and Grandfather-in-Law have both been diagnosed. I hope you are all able to work out a game plan.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • Loading the player...
  • M0ONM0ON member
    I'm so sorry youre going through this. I took care of my grandmother at the end of her life and she got to a point where she didnt know who I was.

One thing I always tell people is dont feel like you need correct them when they dont make sense- like if your dad says "Bob stopped by yesterday" but Bob actually died years ago, just say "Oh, how nice!" and change the subject.

My family was constantly correcting my grandma and it didnt help her at all, it just made her sad and feel defeated. I took the opposite approach and while I had to hold back a lot of tears through some very sad conversations, it was absolutely the right choice.

I wish you and your family lots of peace and clarity in this difficult time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm very sorry to hear this news. My grandmother is in an extremely advanced stage and DH's grandmother has it too. It's not an easy road for anyone. If you need a sounding board or any advice you know we are all here.

• I'm so sorry. :( No advice, but T&P's for your family.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • Oh, Hugs. I remember your first post. I was the one with the Mom with Alzheimer's. She hasn't known me in probably 6 years. It is a hard road to watch. Have someone bring up anti-depressents for your Dad to his doc. I remember how hard it was on my Mom when she was first diagnosed but still had enough memory to know what was coming. It was so sad and I wish we had put her on mood meds faster. Again, hugs to you and your family.

Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage
  • I am so sorry. My grandfather had Alzheimer's. it was horrible I won't go into out story because everyone's is different. I hope you can all come up with a plan. Truly heartbreaking.
  • Oh, Hugs. I remember your first post. I was the one with the Mom with Alzheimer's. She hasn't known me in probably 6 years. It is a hard road to watch. Have someone bring up anti-depressents for your Dad to his doc. I remember how hard it was on my Mom when she was first diagnosed but still had enough memory to know what was coming. It was so sad and I wish we had put her on mood meds faster. Again, hugs to you and your family.

My dad's doctor is very concerned about depression. My dad is young (71) and his dr. doesn't want him to feel defeated and get depressed. My mom is in poor health and my dad is her daily caretaker so I'm worried she won't recognize that he's getting depressed. Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's been a tough morning

• I am so sorry. My grandfather had Alzheimer's. it was horrible I won't go into out story because everyone's is different. I hope you can all come up with a plan. Truly heartbreaking.
    Mine too, it was a really sad time and I miss him. OP - I remember your first post about it.  I hope everything will be ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • chickaboo1974chickaboo1974 member
    edited August 2013
    I am sorry- my dad also has early onset dementia, he is 64.  I am in denial still- and it has been oh 8 months since he got the diagnosis. 
  • {{{{}}}} I'm so sorry hun. Y'all are in my thoughts.
  • herohero member
    I remember your post. I am so sorry. I was kind of hoping it was a medication problem that could be reversed.
    I hope your dad is able to take medications that help slow the progression and help
    your dad think more clearly. I am not sure if how dementia is treated but my dad was diagnosed 10 years ago at 50 with Alzheimer's. He takes a cocktail of supplements, vitamins, Razadyn, Namenda, Lexapro, and Dextroamphetamine. It really has helped maintain his quality of life. He still walks, talks, remembers people and events. We have a rare AD gene in our family, those who inherit it usually die from the disease before the age of 60.
    <Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers>
  • edited August 2013
    I am sorry- my dad also has early onset dementia, he is 64.  I am in denial still- and it has been oh 8 months since he got the diagnosis. 

How is your dad doing? They are going to start my dad on donepezil

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"