3rd Trimester
Options

Glucose Test - 1 hour...twice?

I failed my first 1-hour test last Thursday - 144/140. I ate ice cream and grapes at like 9:30pm and then had the test at 8:30am, with nothing in between. Because the results were borderline, I requested to take the 1-hour again and they are allowing me to take it tomorrow morning.  

I'm unsure how to proceed. My original plan was to have something like eggs and toast for dinner tonight and then fast the rest of the time. But I have heard equal amounts of both advice - some people say to fast for 12 to 14 hours, and some people say to eat something with protein a couple hours before the test so that your blood sugar doesn't spike when drinking the juice. 

I know I can't trick my body into anything, but I passed with my son with flying colors (126/140) and my diet hasn't been too much different this time around, so I'm thinking it was maybe all the sugar the night before? I can't remember if I fasted the last time. 

Anyone have experience taking the 1-hour twice? Thanks! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Glucose Test - 1 hour...twice?

• Options
    Your body processes sugar at the same rate as anything - anything you ate the night before was long processed by the time you took the test.  And GD isn't about your diet so it's entirely possible to pass with one kid and fail with another.  It's about how your body is reacting to that pregnancy so it definitely can vary.  Don't main line soda or eat explicitly sugary items before the test so that you don't have more than the measured amount of glucose in your system at the time of the test and hope for the best.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Call me crazy but why not ask your OB what you should do?

It sounds like you're trying to cheat the test, which as you said you can't really do. Also, you do understand that your diet has very little to do with developing GD, right? It also makes no difference if you passed with your son or not. GD is all about how your placenta is processing things, you can have no history or precursors for diabetes and maintain a perfect diet and still get it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I failed my one hour twice, failed by 1 point, then failed it again by 9 points. I ended up asking the three hor and passing.
    You cant really cheat the test, eat a decent dinner and follow your doctor's suggestion about breakfast.
    BFP #1 11/27/11 EDD 08/08/12 M/C 01/27/12 12 wks 2 days
    BFP #2 04/25/12 EDD 01/04/13(?) confirmed ectopic 05/16/12 6 wks 5 days 2 doses of MTX-Lost left tube on 05/25/12 Back to TTC, earlier than originally expected.
    BFP #3 01/05/13 EDD 09/17/13 u/s 1/24/13-great appt, measuring 2 days ahead, NT scan 3/11/13-great scan measuring 4 days ahead, A/S 4/29/13-another great scan can't wait to meet my baby BOY!!!!!
    My Blog

My Sweet (and Spoiled) Furbaby Cali
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PgAL/PAL Welcome

• Options
    For the one hour test I was instructed to eat as I normally would. So I had eggs for breakfast and took the test an hour later. I doubt the sugar the night before would be the culprit. Your body processes sugar quickly, but you can slow blood sugar spikes by eating protein and complex carbs frequently, so its possible by eating some eggs and a piece of whole wheat toast for breakfast, then taking the test, that you may pass. But my guess is you have the 3-hour test to look forward to.

GL!
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You cannot cause or prevent GD by what you eat. It is completely due to the hormones and if/how they interfere with the pancreas' ability to produce insulin. So even if you passed with your son and your diet is the same, you could still develop GD with this or any future pregnancies. There are risk factors, but they are not causes.

Eat normally before the test. The night before and the morning off. If you weren't instructed to fast, don't. If you have GD, you want to know so you can manage it properly.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! 

I'm not trying to cheat anything, just hoping it was a fluke, but we'll see. I'm hoping to just get the most accurate results. I honestly didn't know that diet had nothing to do with it, because I read that if you fail the 3-hour test, your doctor may suggest you make changes to your diet...? 

And I did call my doctor, waiting on a call back from him. I figured I would post on here in the meantime. 
    Curious if anyone actually has experienced passing the second time around...

llybeck said:
    Call me crazy but why not ask your OB what you should do? It sounds like you're trying to cheat the test, which as you said you can't really do. Also, you do understand that your diet has very little to do with developing GD, right? It also makes no difference if you passed with your son or not. GD is all about how your placenta is processing things, you can have no history or precursors for diabetes and maintain a perfect diet and still get it.

memali26 said:
    You cannot cause or prevent GD by what you eat. It is completely due to the hormones and if/how they interfere with the pancreas' ability to produce insulin. So even if you passed with your son and your diet is the same, you could still develop GD with this or any future pregnancies. There are risk factors, but they are not causes.

Eat normally before the test. The night before and the morning off. If you weren't instructed to fast, don't. If you have GD, you want to know so you can manage it properly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine I had to fast for 3 hours before, so I had my test about 12 in the afternoon, ate normal (bagel and cheese) breakfast at about 9, and just drank water in between.  Probably you had super low blood sugar because you didn't eat in the morning, but who knows why you failed.

I ate healthy for the few days prior to the test because I'de heard that having a sugar/sweet binge even a day or two before can put an overload on your body but I really don't know if that's true!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"