Cloth Diapering
Options

How many NB do I need?

I was give 20 BG 4.0's with liners from my SIL but they are OS. 

I currently only have 2 NB grovia AIO's and I am going shopping on Monday.  I am only going to buy NB right now and then grow my OS stash when babe gets bigger.  Probably go with a few thirsties AIO's and some flips. 

But, I'm going to get a few simplex NB AIO's.  How many do you think I need?

Re: How many NB do I need?

• Options
    KLXVIKLXVI member
    edited August 2013
    I love the newborn simplex.  They still fit my DS at 15 weeks (~14 lbs), but are getting a little small.  They do take forever to dry, so I would only get a few and get other faster drying diapers.  I highly recommend Kawaii pure & naturals for their price.  Prefolds are a great way to bulk up your stash for a small amount of investment.  Also, GMD workhorse fitteds are cheap and great at containing newborn poo.

ETA People usually recommend 24 or more newborn changes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    We had prefolds for back ups. But we ended up loving our BG aio. (I made tiny doublers that I laid in to help with absorbency around 2.5 weeks). Also my 4.0s and BG Elementals fit by 3.5 to 4 weeks. Apparently this is rare but it can happen! He was only 9ish pounds but chunky legs. :)

We had 13 aio, 3 pockets that we washed daily to day in a half since we had prefolds to tide us over.

I'm super obsessive about washing diapers constantly now. It's hard for me to go 2 days even though we have enough diapers now!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you plan to line dry your diapers and live in a humid climate, I would err towards getting more diapers, perhaps 30-36.

I remember early on we were doing something like 19 diaper changes a day, and I had to do laundry every 1.5 days because my machine couldn't hold more than that. Previously we had a larger machine that allowed me to get 24-26 diapers in a load for EOD laundry, but with the pace we were going through diapers, I wanted to have another dozen changes while the laundry was in.
  • Options
    I had about 30 diaper changes.  LO was a champion pooper when he was little though, so there were some times when that only lasted us 1.5 days, not the full 2 days between washes I wanted (it wasn't a big deal though).

I agree with PPs - I love the newborn simplex, and they fit for a good while (LO has outgrown all his other NB diapers, but the simplex still fit), but they do take a while to dry.

I really liked having prefolds - so maybe get a dozen of those like some have said as backup.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options
    My suggestion would be to have enough for 30 diaper changes.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    My ideal NB stash would have 30 changes and be made up like 10 AIOs 10 fitteds, 6-9 covers, and a dozen prefolds. 

I'm into trying different brands, right now I have 4 bum genius NB AIOs, I just a Grovia, I have 2 Imagine NB AIOs on the way, and I plan of getting a couple THX and a couple RaRs. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"