June 2013 Moms

Low milk supply and growth spurt

My LO is currently going through the dreaded 3 month growth spurt and is EBF. I have never had a problem with my supply and have always pumped after his morning feed. The last couple days I wake up feeling empty and can barely get anything out in the pump I usually get 6-8oz. He seems fine all day and I can see milk and hear him swallowing but by night at his last feed he will just nurse for so long and I can tell he is not getting anything so I have been digging into my freezer stash. He normally doesn't prefer bottles but he's been sucking them down at night like he starving. Anyway I never had this problem during other growth spurts is this normal ?

Re: Low milk supply and growth spurt

• I think it is normal but if i were you i would try not to give him too many bottles. If he doesn't nurse from you, then your supply will drop because you are telling your body he isn't hungry by giving him the bottle. If you let him nurse instead, even if he is not getting much at first, your body will react to his sucking and increase milk supply if you let it, and he will not starve. :)

image image

• Thanks stephmill26 glad to hear this sounds notmal. I have only been giving him bottles at night because he has been crying after nursing forever and won't sleep until I do. But then after the bottle I use the pump for ten min to hopefully increase my supply. I hope were almost through the spurt this is a rough one !
  • Loading the player...
  • edited August 2013
    Oh good idea to pump after the bottle! I forget about tht sometimes. :) yeah k is going through hers still a little, the first few days were really tough but she is settling down now... She is sleeping a TON! Is your guy sleeping more?

image image

• Last night he woke up a lot but tonight's been much better. But yes he's been sleeping more during the day. Glad your LO is almost done :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"