Trouble TTC
Options

Question for those of you who have had a Lap done

Hey Ladies,

I know many of you are going through some really tough stuff right now so first off all want to start out by saying I hope things get better. I have my lap scheduled for 9/18 and now I am getting a bit nervous. Add to the fact that the birth control pills are making me soo nauseous. I see my RE on 9/3 to go over blood work results then 9/17 for the pre-op appt. For those of you who have had the lap done, any advice/suggestions? I really hate dealing with Unexplained IF, so I am hoping maybe to find an answer. Thanks.
Me 29 DH 30 Unexplained IF TTC since wedding May 2012. IUI #1 11/5/13-BFN.  IUI #2 12/5/13-BFN. IUI #3-12/30/14. All three with Femara CD 3-7 and Ovidrel trigger. +HPT 1/13/14 First +ever!!! Beta #1 195 Beta #2 1/15-533. Ultrasound on 2/4 showed one bean. EDD 9/22/14. Team Green turned Team Blue-Baby Conner arrived on 9/19/14.

Re: Question for those of you who have had a Lap done

• Options
    Hmm I don't really have very much advice because, overall, my surgery and recovery went pretty well. The surgery wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. I had a lot of endo removed, but the pain was still easily managed with pain killers. The worst parts were not being comfortable enough to sleep (I can't sleep on my back) and the constipation. It helped to sleep with a big pillow at my side and I also ended up taking a mild laxative which really helped. I was feeling really good in 3 or 4 days and almost 100% normal after about one week.

I'm also dealing with a surgical site infection, but there really wasn't anything I could do to prevent that. Just make sure you keep your wounds clean and dry and call your doctor immediately if you have an increase or pain or notice signs of infection. They'll give you instructions to follow and tell you what to look for.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Options
    I had one last nov that confirmed I have endo and a lot of it was removed. My recovery was okay I had a lot of gas pains but didn't have much pelvic pain (I also had a d&c th same time) after the first couple of days. I did however have an alergic reaction to the tape they used so be sure to tell them if your sensitive to the tape. Also get really soft panties and wear dresses or loose sweats so your sites dont get irritated I think I went like over a week without wearing pants lol
    Hope everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The recovery and pain or discomfort you'll have after will depend on what they find and where. Some people take a while to recover (I took a week off work), but other are good to go after 2 days. 

My DH took the day of surgery and the day after off, and then my friend came the following day to help me.  I wasn't that drugged up and immobile after the first 24 hours or so, but it still helped having someone there to help me up and to grab certain things for me.  Some people get gas pains from the air moving around, and they say walking around helps, but I really just had a lot of swelling - probably b/c they took a lot of endo out from some concentrated areas.  I couldn't wear jeans for 3 weeks! 

I'd heard someone on the board suggest to keep a pillow in the car for the ride home - having it over your lap and/or under the seatbelt helped with the stiches and pain. 

But otherwise, nothing to be too worried about.  Prep ahead of time for where you'll sit at home, what you'll want around you, and a backup plan in case you need someone around to help you drive or do chores (or just grab some comfort food from high up in the pantry :) ).  And have plenty of clean and comfortable loose clothes while the swelling goes down.  And get stuff to help you poop after...that anesthesia doesn't help things move down there!

Good luck!

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Options

Are you having it done because you have unexplained IF or are you having problems?  My RE suggested I have it done today & I was actually going to post a question about it tonight.  He gave me two plans to think about over the next day or so--try another IUI w/injectables (been doing Clomid) OR have lap to check for endo & go from there.  We talked about lap months ago during my first appointment but I haven't really thought about it since. 

Are you having any symptons?  I have lived with intestinal issues for years (had a colonoscopy back in April & it was clean) but as far as the "textbook" symptons I read about, I do not have any of those.

How long did your RE say you have to wait to start TTC again after the lap?

Me (36) - LOR, DH (34) - MFI (low count & poor motility)

TTC since 01/2012

11/2012-04/2013 Unmonitored Clomid cycles through OB/GYN; Referred to RE

05/2013-Benched due to cyst

06/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + TI = BFN

07/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN

08/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + IUI #2 = BFN

09/2013 - Benched for lap & hysteroscopy (Stage II Endo Removed)

10/2013 - Menopur + HCG Trigger + IUI #3 = BFN

11/2013 - Menopur + HCG Trigger + IUI #4 = BFN

12/2013 - Clomid + HCG Trigger + IUI #5 = BFN

2/2014 - IVF #1 - Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 5R/4M/4F w/ICSI; 2 embies transferred on day 3 (none to freeze)

2/27/14 - First BFP Ever!!!  EDD 11/3/14

• Options

jlr96 said:

Are you having any symptons?  I have lived with intestinal issues for years (had a colonoscopy back in April & it was clean) but as far as the "textbook" symptons I read about, I do not have any of those.

How long did your RE say you have to wait to start TTC again after the lap?

It's always a personal decision when to have it - a lot of the time it's frustrating b/c there's no clear answer!  I think it depends on symptoms, how much it would cost you, if you have family history, etc.

But I did want to pipe in that I didn't have a ton of symptoms other than bad cramps, but I did have a lot of digestive issues, too.  And a few people in my family had a long history with it, which is why I decided to have the lap.  It turned out that most of my endo was in a concentrated area and was attaching my uterus to my large intestine.  Not to say that is your case by any means!  But it's just crazy to think I had no idea that was causing my issues.  Now both my cramps and my digestive tract are much happier :)

The following cycle I was already back to normal and we did TI (RE just wanted to wait and see one more month), and the next one we did IUI.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Options
    I am having it done because my mom had it (she's since had a hysterectomy) and I've always had heavy, painful periods. I tend to take after my mom in most medical conditions (though she didn't deal with IF). I've decided to go forward with it because I don't want to be left wondering what if. My insurance covers 3 iUI attempts and my fear is I go through with those and have no luck then I'll be wondering if having the lap could have helped us. I haven't seen my RE since the first appointment in which I said I wasn't sure, then made the decision to do the lap. So I have no clue about how long until we can try again but I do know she mentioned her course of treatment is the same either way (Letrazole + Ovridel/IUI).

I am realistic in knowing she could go in and find nothing but after thinking about it for about a week I just need to know. Thanks ladies for the advice. It helps hearing it from you guys instead of google.
    Me 29 DH 30 Unexplained IF TTC since wedding May 2012. IUI #1 11/5/13-BFN.  IUI #2 12/5/13-BFN. IUI #3-12/30/14. All three with Femara CD 3-7 and Ovidrel trigger. +HPT 1/13/14 First +ever!!! Beta #1 195 Beta #2 1/15-533. Ultrasound on 2/4 showed one bean. EDD 9/22/14. Team Green turned Team Blue-Baby Conner arrived on 9/19/14.

• Options
    I had one last December and it went fine. I had to wait a long time to leave the hospital because they wanted me to use the bathroom before I went home (#1) and I was a sick for a short time during recovery so that delayed me. I was back at work in 2 days though. Definitely make sure someone is home with you so they can take care of you! And it won't hurt to take a few days off or work from home if you are able...the more rest you get right after surgery the easier the recovery will be.

I had my surgery primarily to reduce monthly pain and secondarily for IF, and my first cycle after the surgery was a nightmare but since then my symptoms have been manageable. Good luck!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    Walking truly helps get rid of the bloat and gas. My husband would just take short walks with me up the block. Agree with wearing baggy pants or stretchy ones. I had my mom go buy me granny panties too. It did take me a few weeks to feel normal but I also had a hysteroscopy. If I was you I'd consider both- you're already under. Good luck!
    Started ttc may 2012 Me:32. Dh:31 SA- 4% morphology Fsh:9.1 possibly not always ovulating Hysteroscopy/lLap 7/13 resulted in polyp removal, uterine septum, and mild endo stage 1 removed 10/13 IVF #1 successful 
    BabyFruit Ticker}

• Options
    Definitely bring a pillow with you to hold against your stomach for the car ride home. Those bumps in the road suck! As PP's said, walking is the best way to get rid of gas/bloat. I also recommend popsicles. Your throat is going to be sore from when they intubate you during the surgery. Wear loose clothing and bring shoes you can easily slip on. Pushing your feet into shoes will probably hurt. It did for me, my procedure was in February and I had to put my boots on. It. Was. Awful. Bring a light pad also. I bled a little after mine and the pad that the hospital gives you feels like an oversized diaper. 

Have you ever been under general anestheic? If you haven't, I would mention that to your anesthesiologist when they come to talk to you before surgery. They can make an anti-nausea concoction so you don't get sick afterwards. That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck! 
    ***************SIGGY WARNING***************
    DX: PCOS and Endometriosis 
    TTC since May 2011
    HSG normal
    Hubs SA- Normal June 2012
    Aug. 2012: 50mg Clomid: No Response
    March 2013: 100mg Clomid: No Response
    July 2013: 5mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    August 2013: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Natural cycles Sept & Oct.--BFN
    Nov/Dec: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Jan 2014: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Feb: Benched due to cysts.
    March: Benched w/cysts.
    April: Femara+Follistim+Ovidrel+Prometrium
    BFP on Mother's Day 2014!! 
    EDD: January 20, 2015
    6week scan: TWINS!!!!!
    16w: Baby A is Stubborn, Baby B is a GIRL!
    20 week scan: TEAM PURPLE!
    The babies were born on December 16, 2014 at 35 weeks! They are home and doing well!

• Options
    Looks like you already got a lot of great advice above :) I'll reiterate & add mine:

I'm also unexplained and had hopes that the lap would... explain me. It didn't. The doc found a few spots of minimal endo which he was able to clear out and said could very well explain my painful periods. I was kind of hoping for more answers, but in the end I'm glad we did it. At least now I know all is well in my ute :)

Biggest recommendations for recovery: take a stool softener as soon as you can after surgery. Trust me. I was crazy constipated after mine. I wish I took it sooner (they take 12-72 hours to take effect). Use a pillow to get up & down. Squeeze it to your belly. It helps. Don't push yourself too much too soon. I stupidly tried to go for a run 5 days after surgery. It didn't feel good. Have plenty of loose fitting clothing for the two weeks after. I was so bloated and literally fit in none of my clothes. Leggings and loose tops are your friend.

Good luck!
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • Options
    A soft dress that does not touch your abdomen or pelvis and soft new panties on the day of the surgery are a good idea. If you are nervous, you might get teary on the day of the surgery. I did. I was constipated for days afterward. That was very uncomfortable. Your pain meds should help you relax and take it easy. After a few days of feeling pretty good, it's a good idea to resume normal activities for short durations. It helped to have my husband with me on the day of the surgery. My parents also came by with food the first few days. I agree that Popsicles help your throat. I took 10 days off work to recover. You should go into the OR, lay down on the table, answer a few questions of the doctors like name and what surgery you are there for and then be out like a light in seconds. Then you should wake up in recovery with your husband by your side. You may feel groggy and nauseas. The ride home may feel extra bumpy. You will probably go back to sleep when you get home and wake with no more nausea ready to watch a good movie and eat dinner. Getting your Netflix Queue or dvr stocked is good planning for recovery. One thing did go wrong in my surgery. The RE said it was healed within a few days though. During the surgery one of my blood vessels punctured my ovary which caused some bleeding and my ovary had to be stitched. I am so glad to know my reproductive organs are as good as they can be.
    Me: 37; DH: 35, SA normal ttc 1st since 11/2011 1/2013: HSG 2/2013-4/2013: acupuncture 3/2013: SHG 4/9/13: lap removed stage 2 endo & ovarian cyst 9/2013-11/2013: Clomid 3x 12/2013: IUI/superO 2013: spent $4,900 on treatment Waiting until 1/2015 for IVF insurance
  • Options
    I had a lap done earlier this summer and we found endo, which they zapped away.

Still no miracle pregnancy in the meantime, but I will say that it completely helped with my period pain. The procedure itself isn't bad, but recovery was pretty rough. You'll be pretty bloated and uncomfortable afterwards (and the air that they blow your tummy up with is crazy!) but it will pass in a few days. Good luck to you :)

• Options

Lots and lots of good advice here. I just had my lap back in July and overall my recovery was awesome (I only ended up taking 1 day off work and worked from home for 2). So, advice that I would reiterate or newly give:

1) Do bring that pillow for the ride home. I did not do that and wish I had. It didnt occur to me that I would not be able to place the seatbelt properly across my stomach, and the bumps did hurt.

2)Take your meds!! My doc told me not to be a hero, I believed him, and I'm greatful for it. Because I took my meds on schedule, I was able to move around much more, which helped in healing, causing me to need less meds. You get the deal. I was off all meds completely in 5 days.

3)Take a stool softener right when you get home and drink your body weight in H20. I didn't take the softener until the day after my surgery and wasn't drinking like I should have. What a mistake. I was in SO much pain by Day 3 because I hadn't had a BM, I cried. And I cried again once I finally did have that BM, from relief.

4)Take all our advice, but you know you best. Listen to what your body is telling you. I was so worried about the "gas pain" that everyone talks about, that I didn't worry enough about the constipation (see point 3). Now I know how my body handles anesthesia and will be prepared accordingly during my next procedure.

Good Luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"