Working Moms

NWMR: Hair...WWWMD?

I have a random question. I figured I'd ask here, since this board has lots of useful opinions on pretty much everything. Have you ever requested a do over at your hair salon? I went in over the weekend to get my hair colored and I asked for an auburn/reddish color and ended up with something more like this: image

This is the closest photo I could find, but it's almost like a black/plummy color. THIS is what I was hoping for: (or at least something similar)

I don't know if it's worth it to ask for a redo (I wouldn't expect a freebie), and also, I don't want to fry my hair by processing it too much. My other thought is just to let the color they gave me fade for a month -ish or like 6 weeks and then go back. So...help me decide. What would you do? For reference, my natural color is dark brown. Feel free to suggest alternate colors! TIA

photo 9de7615e-e1c7-4dc7-be37-5cc4c9e4e703_zpse37bbba7.jpg AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: NWMR: Hair...WWWMD?

• With a color like that, I'd wait a week and see what it looked like because it'll definitely fade and it *might* be a bit closer to what you were hoping for. However, if it isn't what you want, I'd definitely go back and just let the stylist know that you were looking for a warmer auburn rather than the cooler plum tones. Did you bring in a photo the first time? If you didn't, I definitely would when you go back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'd go back with pictures.  I don't know if you had them the first time, but a stylist wants you to be happy with your hair (and come back to them because of it).  My stylist worked with me to get the color I wanted one day, which included coming back after she took care of her next client, because it wasn't right (we both agreed it wasn't what I was after, though.  I didn't have to ask).
  • Loading the player...
  • Give your stylist a call at bare minimum. Let him/her know you're not happy with it, but give it a week or so - reds are REALLY prone to fading quickly, so at the end of the day, it may not matter. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, I have asked for a redo and received it. I do tip again tho. Also any shade with reds are really hard to take and do fade quickly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would call and let her know it wasn't what you were looking for and ask her if its something that will fad with a couple of washes or something that needs to be fixed.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I go back and forth between having lighter brown hair with blond highlights and all over chestnut brown color.  Every time I color my hair brown, I hate it for the first week or two.  It's always too dark and always seems darker than what I asked my stylist to do (and I always bring pictures), but it does fade to the shade I was hoping for. 

So, maybe give it a week or so, but in the meantime, you could call your stylist and let her know your concerns and then she can tell you if you should come back in to get it corrected right away or if maybe waiting is worth it.  If you aren't happy, I would definitely call. My salon is very open about saying they'd rather have to correct something than lose a client's business.

• I've been going red for 13 years - the color that first 5-7 days is never the color it ends up being.  I've been shocked a few times, but it's always faded.  Give it a week and if you're still not happy, then call.
  • Total lurker here but I agree with others that you should give it some time before deciding, especially if this is a drastic change for you. I often find that I like my hair better after I've had a little time to get used to it. Andplusalso it will definitely fade. But if you live with it for a couple of weeks and still don't like it you should definitely let the stylist know and ask him/her to fix it. FTR I like the color in big pictures. I know it depends on your skin tone etc. but I think both colors are really pretty!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hairdresser here!

That color wil fade to what you want it to be, I can with a 98% guarantee, guarantee it. Especially with your natural being so dark, the color will take darker at first. 

You can call your hairdresser, but most likely s/he will say the same. 

And if you're wanting to not damage it, but wanting it to fade faster to get to the lighter color, you could shampoo twice in hotter water, then definitely condition. 

Don't fret!
  • I just had mine touched up last week and yes, I look like the first picture and after about a month I will look like the second. It's still always a bit of a shock though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"