May 2013 Moms
Options

Baby gifts for others

One of my good friends is TTC and I have been thinking about what kinds of baby gifts I most enjoyed getting so I can pay it forward. Before LO I usually shopped off the registry and/or sent books and small toys. Those are still good but now I'm thinking Aden+Anais organic swaddle blanket (larger and softer than the regular ones), a pack of diapers and the largest burp cloths I can find.

Now that you're a parent, what would/wouldn't you give as baby gifts?
Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)

Re: Baby gifts for others

• Options
    I definitely wouldn't buy clothes. Tastes differ so much.

I'd get something from a registry if they have one. Failing that I'd get things like nice blankets, toys for a pushchair or a gift voucher.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am in love with all of the baby Mustella products so would probably get those. Would also consider blooming bath, rock n play, or kick n play.
  • Options
    My SIL is due like now but when she had her shower DS was 3 weeks. I just looked around and wrote down everything we found we needed with a NB. Soothie passies, swaddle me, thermometer passy, feetie pjs, a ridiculous amount of burp cloths, the good Aveno lotion, the super soft Carter's blankets, baby wash clothes and probably other things. I sent DH out the list and to buy a nice diaper bag. I loaded it up and that was her gift. Everyone got both of us the big stuff but very few little things like a nose sucker!
  • Options
    These are awesome. I second gift cards. Our BRU ones were fantastic when we needed more bottles, newborn clothes, etc. I'm also intrigued by the Sassy floor mirror because so many ladies on this board recommend it.

I forgot gifts for the new parents too -- friends gave me a couple magazine subscriptions and a Starbucks gift card, which were lovely.
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • Options
    I always buy something that is on the registry, and supplement with things I find useful. I always buy bigger clothes like 12 months +, I wish I got more of those, and less NB onesies. I agree gift cards are not the most exciting thing to give, but they are so useful for new parents.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• Options
    The best gift I got when i was pg with DD1 (and what I always give now) is all sorts of medicines ( infant fever reducer, gas drops, gripe water, baby Vicks) diaper cream and lotions..etc..
    All the little things you don't really think about until you need them and it was so nice to have them right there instead of going out, maybe in the middle of the night with a sick baby to get them!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A friend of mine just had a baby. Her registries consisted mostly of clothes, all the way up to size 3T! So I bought her stuff she would need but apparently didnt know to register for: towels, washcloths, bibs, small sizes of a few shampoos and lotions, pacifiers. I resisted the urge to include other necessities like waterproof mattress pads and changing pad covers.

Generally speaking, for weddings and babies, I go off the registry but also include a small personal touch if possible. Something I will never give is newborn or 3 month clothes. We got waaaay too many.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My tops pics (depending on how much you want to spend) would be the Snugabunny Swing, Swaddle Me blankets (in the regular size and large size for that one day you suddenly realize your LO can't straighten her legs at night anymore, but you really don't care because she's still STTN- guilty), bibs, a variety of pacifiers so you can figure out which works best, Childrens Tylenol (just in case), diaper genie with diapers. 
    She is here! 5-29-13

• Options
    Like @b&e888, I like to give larger sized clothes. I generally registry shop, but tend to pick something I think of as essential (monitor, diaper pail, diaper bag, etc) rather than a "want".
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I too would buy the a+a swaddle blankets. I have like 10 of them and are using them constantly! And possibly a pack of the cloth diapers, they make fantastic burp clothes and have multiple other uses as well.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wjvwjv member
    My husbands cousin gave us the rock n play when I was pregnant with my older son, even though it was not on my registry.  I give that as a gift now since I loved it for both babies!
    Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with the a+a swaddle blankets. I also like to get something small and unique from Etsy (I recently got my pg SIL a cute little monster knitted hat for our nephew due in October). I will never buy a new mom 0-3 month size clothes again!
  • Options
    Diapers and wipes I didn't realize how many of those dang wipes you used until I had a baby of my own. You an get a huge box at target for about $13.00. Also diapers I barely got any of so I will always get friends those as well.
  • Options
    I normally buy off the registry, but a friend did this for me and I plan to do the same for my SIL who is pregnant. It's basically a gift basket, but with all of your "favorite baby things." She printed labels, and then wrote on the back of the label why she liked the item so much. 
    Here's a link to the website to print the labels if anyone wants to check it out. I think it's super cute. 

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"