3rd Trimester

Big case of poison oak right before due date

Seriously?! ...at 1st I thought just a lot of mosquito bites, but no...it's is dry August poison oak.
Hoping to clear it up before I go into labor. It is on my arms/hands, left side of my big pregnant belly, and I see more bumps emerging on my legs. 

Anyone have useful tips for getting rid of poison oak while pregnant? I've done the Tecnu shower and I'm starting to use the topical hydro-cortisone (OB says that is OK). I'd like to avoid oral benadryl while pregnant, but maybe I should just bite the bullet and take the benadryl to keep it from spreading. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Big case of poison oak right before due date

• If at all possible, immediately after contact shower/rinse with dish washing detergent/soap (ie: Joy, Palmolive etc) using cold water to prevent the oil from seaping into your pores and to help dispurse the oil by washing it away... do this within 15min., 3min preferably.

Do not touch your genitals OR your face AT ALL!! If you have to, use a safe cloth.

GET INTO A ROUTINE ASAP!!

Shower 4 times daily using dishwashing soap (to get rid of plant oil) and don't wear the same clothing after shower, wash bed sheets once per day. Wear like colours to prevent too many washings per day (ie: white on day, colours the next if possible).

Use your hands to rinse if your skin is too raw. Try not to use a washcloth as you may spread it the oil. You should be safe in the shower with the dishwashing soap. Always get those finger nails! Use dishwashing detergent (not regular soap) relentlessly as it will help prevent the spread. If you're going to wash your hands before dinner, do it with dishwashing soap to help remove any oil...

When you get out of the shower use deep clean pads for achne (Clearasil) to further help get the plant oil out of your skin.

If necessary, use a very strong mixture of salt water (dissolve as much course rock salt in hot water as the water will hold). Wait until warm and then dab onto affected areas to help dry it up... do not do this on face.

Load up on vit. C, about 6000-10000mg per day to help dry system out and kill bacteria. Eat yogurt to help replenish the good bacteria in your intestinal tract. (Check with your doc to make sure that amount is ok to take for several days)

Wash all clothing, shoes and especially laces in warm to hot water daily.

Disinfect (using alcohol etc) steering wheel, car keys, door handle, keyboard, mouse, chair, light switches etc.

Use a hair dryer on high, to heat up your skin where it itches, when it gets too hot pull it away. You'll feel a euphoric sensation and you may get 2-4 hours of itch relief.

Load up on the Calamine lotion to further reduce the itch and further dry it out.

Soak in a salt water tub (2kg bag coarse salt) or hot tub OR swim in a clorinated pool... to help dry it out. 20-30 min twice per day. (Soak or Swim). If you live on the coast, you are blessed (salt water). Try not to bandage up your skin too tightly, it needs to breath to heal.

And Benadryl is perfectly safe to take, don't suffer.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much HFrizzle - I will try it! 
    Really want this gone before baby is born!
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't blame you. That would suck!

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep! Left side of my neck, breast, and belly, plus my hands. Looks like I'll be doing extra laundry for a while. I'm quite careful about the poison oak, but DH is not even allergic. I may have picked it up off of him.  
  • Swimming in a chlorinated pool has always helped the most for me. If you have large itchy areas you can always call the doctor and ask for a prescription cortisone. But no matter what, its gonna take a few days to go away. Sorry you had to get it right before your due date!
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"