1st Trimester
Options

9 wks 3 days Couldnt find heartbeat

Doctor tried with a fetal doppler and we didnt hear a heartbeat, She isnt concerned at all. She said its totally normal, since im still early and the baby hasnt moved outside the pelvic bone yet. But its stressing me out. Im upset she tried and didnt pursue an in office ultrasound to make me feel better. Im a big worrier and i know that doesnt help. Im sure everything is fine but why cant they go out of there way to reassure me. I havent had any cramping bleeding or anything and she said my uterus measures perfect with how far along I am. Thoughts? Positive encouragement please?? :( 

Re: 9 wks 3 days Couldnt find heartbeat

• Options
    It's not unusual to not find it with doppler that early. She should't have tried without knowing whether you'd be ok with not finding it or not. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I know the worry well! But she is right, it doesnt mean anything is wrong, those dopplers weren't meant to pick up heart beat until 12-14 weeks. Longer if you are on the fluffy side. There is nothing good to come from worrying, just pray! A couple more weeks and the heartbeat will be heard. If you are not bleeding or having pain , you are right, there really is no sign to worry. God bless you and get you throw the next few weeks til you hear that beautiful sound! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm trying to keep positive. Our baby is so loved. As much as were enjoying having a family of two before we get really busy. We are so ready for our LO to be here. I'm sorta frustrated with the doctor. Because when its your very first pregnancy its scary. You are worried about everything. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I'm trying be calm, to trust God and my body. I havent had anything to show me otherwise, so I'm focusing that the baby is perfectly healthy. Its what my hubby keeps saying.
  • Options
    for what it's worth, my doctor couldn't find the heartbeat externally at 10 weeks either - when i came back at 12 weeks, it was able to be heard.  i was given an opportunity to choose or decline the doppler at the 10w visit, though - and i elected to try it anyway, even though it was early and she was VERY clear that it was entirely possible we wouldn't hear anything.

take heart!  they'll try again in a few weeks and you should hopefully be fine.  if the uterus is measuring on track, that's a great sign!
  • Options
    Nothing to worry about. My OB won't even try to listen via the Doppler until after 10 weeks for this very reason. I even got an ultrasound at 8w2d and they couldn't hear the heartbeat then.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    This happened to me at around 10 weeks.  They had me get an u/s just to double check and everything was fine.  It is scary but just try to relax.

• Options
    Yeah, The resident Ob that Im seeing said it wasn't nessecary. Not trying to be mean to her, but Im pretty sure she hasnt had kids. This is terrifying. I have tried to give this office a chance but Im just done. I will not stay there. I want to be heard. I know it is to early to hear it but she should have done an ultrasound like she first said she would, and listened to my feelings. I think the biggest problems us mothers face is not being heard. Hopefully once I explain this problem to the new doctors office they will do something about it soon. I just want to know baby is growing and normal. This is my very first pregnancy, I was told I would never get pregnant, so this baby is our miracle and I need to know everything is okay.
  • Options
    I'm surprised the doctor tried that early...I had a dating U/S at 8 weeks 3 days and could only see the heartbeat on the monitor.  My doctor never tried the doppler until I was way after 12 weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo octoberowls_zps78dd2214.png

May Siggy: Baby in disguise

photo photo1-1.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think there's harm in asking for an US if you are nervous.
  • Options
    But what you are demanding is NOT the norm. And what do her not having children have ANYTHING to deal with being a good Dr. The normal is listening to HB after 12 weeks, and then at every appt and 1 U/S  at 18-22 weeks. Anything more than that is not normal. 
    So you will not be going back because you are demanding extra attention for a normal low-risk pregnancy? Why do you think your pregnancy is different or special? 
    I had some complications early, and had to go to the hospital, I have several health problems that have contributed to this, When a doctor makes you that nervous she should do an ultrasound to ease your fears when its her actions that caused you to be weary. I have already had two done to make sure there was a heart beat and everything seemed fine. Im sorry you feel like im being unreasonable, but I like to know that the baby is alright. Otherwise, I worry. I have had other factors contribute to why im finally deciding not to stick with the doctors office, they are a residency clinic. So therefore I would have no clue who would even deliver my baby, it could be up to twenty different doctors depending on who is on call. I have experienced rudeness there and not settling my worry after she said she would, and the fact that she has never delivered a baby yet, makes me uncomfortable. I wouldn't feel another ultrasound was necessary if they hasn't told me, they were going to keep an eye on me because I have had a rocky medical history in the past. They have already done two ultrasounds which is more than the norm. I'm looking for support as most of us are not a little rudeness. Im not insisting my pregnancy or baby is SPECIAL, cause all babies and mothers are. But when I have had things happen, I feel I have a right to know my needs are heard. Thank you to everyone who gave positive and encouraging responses. It eased my mind alot, and made me feel like its okay to feel scared. I appreciate you. 
  • Options
    Im not judging women who have not had kids, cause until 9 weeks and 4 days ago I was one of those women, But all the mothers I know, worry. They are overly concerned sometimes, and as a soon to be  mother I see nothing wrong with that. When you go through hormonal treatments or surgeries to have a child, I feel it is normal to be more worried. When you are told it just might never happen and then it does, you feel like there is a glass ball inside you that could break at any moment. Complications on top of that, warrant worrying and wanting someone to ease your fears. 
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm with @Irachelle80 thats crazy early. I'd be pissed if dr did that and no follow up u/s
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• Options

Yeah, The resident Ob that Im seeing said it wasn't nessecary. Not trying to be mean to her, but Im pretty sure she hasnt had kids. This is terrifying. I have tried to give this office a chance but Im just done. I will not stay there. I want to be heard. I know it is to early to hear it but she should have done an ultrasound like she first said she would, and listened to my feelings. I think the biggest problems us mothers face is not being heard. Hopefully once I explain this problem to the new doctors office they will do something about it soon. I just want to know baby is growing and normal. This is my very first pregnancy, I was told I would never get pregnant, so this baby is our miracle and I need to know everything is okay.
    But what you are demanding is NOT the norm. And what do her not having children have ANYTHING to deal with being a good Dr.
     The normal is listening to HB after 12 weeks, and then at every appt and 1 U/S  at 18-22 weeks. Anything more than that is not normal. 

So you will not be going back because you are demanding extra attention for a normal low-risk pregnancy? Why do you think your pregnancy is different or special? 
    Where I live and among my friends an ultrasound to date the pregnancy and see the heartbeat at 8 weeks is absolutely the norm. 

If you don't like your doctor, get a new one.  I would be upset too if I did not get an ultrasound at my first visit, and I would get a new doctor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"