3rd Trimester

Braxton Hicks - is this it??

Hey guys!

I'm not a usual discussion starter, though I do post replies every once in a while.  Anyways, DH and I were at pre-natal class on Saturday and the nurse was talking about BH contractions when discussing false labor.   Sidenote - Up to this point (29w) I hadn't felt like I'de had any BHicks, but the nurse mentioned that lots of girls say that they are feeling the baby moving, but in actuality it's BH.

So my question is this - I often times do get rock hard belly on one side for a good 30 seconds to a minute, and I thought it was baby hanging out on that side.  It is occassionally REALLY strong/hard but it doesn't seem to me that it's ever rock hard on my full belly, and it never really hurts..so is this BH or am I right thinking baby is just hanging out on one side or the other?  My understanding is BH don't usually hurt, but I thought it was full tummy contraction.

Not that it really matters, but I was counting these instances which have been happenning alot lately as "movement" and if it's not movement I would like to know, so I can just pay attention to just kicks, bumps and know when/if activity is really low so I can talk to my DR about it.

Sorry if this is a silly question!

Re: Braxton Hicks - is this it??

• The thing about this is that everyone feels BH as well as real contractions differently and sometimes people don't feel them at all. No one will actually be able to tell you if what you are feeling are movements or BH because it can be so completely different.

For me, BH feel like menstrual cramps that radiate to my low back, it's symmetrical and not just on one side. I was being monitored at the time in L&D so they were for sure BH. If it was only on one side, I guess I would think that's just LO but again, your BH may be completely different than mine.
  • I battled BH for a couple months. Yes, it can feel like the baby balling upon one side or another. My BH varied. Some were just tightening. Some were stronger. Some hurt. It's highly possible those are BH. Just be aware of them. Check for timing, and let your DR know. He or she will need to check you periodically for any sign of progression.
  • Loading the player...
  • OK good info,  Thanks! I'm going to assume it's not BH then because mine definitely just feels lopsided like baby's pushing against one side of my tummy with his back

One girl in Pre-natal described it as menstrual cramps, and another described as whole belly becoming rock hard, so I'm sure there are many forms.

• Ok I'll keep closer track, since Mom38673 has them on one side too, I'll mention it to my DR and see what she thinks!

Thanks again ladies!

• Definitely a slight tightening of the stomach area that kind of makes you stop for a second to make you aware :)  They don't hurt, just make you slow down for a few seconds.

If you notice the movement to one side or the other, then chances are, this is just the baby moving/kicking.
  • Someone posted last week that if you put two fingers in your forehead and push, and your stomach feels like that, it's BH contraction. I haven't had any, but that seemed like a great indicator to me.

• Someone posted last week that if you put two fingers in your forehead and push, and your stomach feels like that, it's BH contraction. I haven't had any, but that seemed like a great indicator to me.

Lol..I just did this at my desk..my coworker was like..are you ok??

But yes, my stomach gets probably that hard, but it's so weird it's only on one side or the other, so I'm still pretty sure it's baby just pushing hard against one side with head, butt or back!!

• To me BH feel more like my abs are flexing, but even tighter than that. It's mostly lower stomach that feels tight, like belly button and lower, and sometimes I get really mild crampiness like menstrual cramps. I usually feel like my stomach is a bit tight, then push on my stomach and its really solid.

When LO puts his butt against my stomach, its only a palm sized area thats solid, but at night when I lie on one side half my stomach may be hard, but I never get cramps with this. 

Don't know if this helps at all. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really don't know, I could be having BH based on some descriptions and I could not be based on others.  I'm seeing my Doc next week so I'm going to keep note of when/how long these things happen and try and describe to her and see what she thinks.

Though I'm not too worried about it, I know it's normal, I'de just like to know if that's what it is or not!

• I read somewhere that you might only have them on half or part if your uterus. Which I thought was strange. However, having never had them, I have no idea. You can also put a call in to the nurse at your OBs office "just out of curiosity".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"