Nurseries and Baby Gear

Bike Seat

MamaInMNMamaInMN member
edited August 2013 in Nurseries and Baby Gear
Our registry is pretty much empty and I've been asked by my ILs to add a few items for family.  It feels like we're pretty much set, at least for the newborn stage (and we have a TINY house so I'm really trying to limit stuff!).  Trying to think of things we may need later down the road (we do have basement room to store) and I thought of a bike attachment.  DH and I LOVE riding our bikes around in the summer.

I'm wondering if anyone has one they love?  Or is this something that is so dependent on the bike?  I will do some research on my own but thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has tips, too!

Thanks!

Re: Bike Seat

• I would strongly consider a bike trailer over a seat.  We ride with our daughter regularly and really everyone we talked to at local bike shops and even here suggested staying away from the seat that attaches.  Imagine stopping at a stoplight with a 15 lb seat and 25 lb kid (so 40lbs total) on your backside... it's just not going to be very easy and it also messes up the weight distribution that the bike is meant to have which makes falls more likely.  

I really wanted the bike seat at first til we looked more into it and got a trailer instead.  I got an Allen bike trailer and we like it but the Chariot, Burley and Baby Jogger bike trailers are the nicest.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I think a trailer is more dangerous than a seat for riding on streets, and most people in Seattle use seats over trailers. A lot of cargo bikes around here. Anyway, I would suggest you look at the Yepp maxi seat. It attaches to the seatpost of most bicycles and is sold at REI.

I am slowly getting my bicycle ready for riding with my LO, and I am going to do the Yepp seat.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Loading the player...
  • I think a trailer is more dangerous than a seat for riding on streets, and most people in Seattle use seats over trailers. A lot of cargo bikes around here. Anyway, I would suggest you look at the Yepp maxi seat. It attaches to the seatpost of most bicycles and is sold at REI.

I am slowly getting my bicycle ready for riding with my LO, and I am going to do the Yepp seat.
    I agree that it might depend on where you live.  I am just saying that of the 5 bike shops I visited while looking for my own bike, not one of them sold the attached carriers and all sold bike trailers.  I really like the Britax seat when I was looking until we decided on the trailer.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Bike trailers are really popular here.  We just bought a Chariot Cougar..  I would probably skip it on the registry though.  I got mine at a significant discount on craigslist used and it looks like new. Have you put toddler items on your registry yet?  Spoons, forks, plates, bowls, a variety of sippys, portable potty, small stool for washing hands?  Those things would be small to store, but still helpful to have. Personally, I would add some toddler stuff and then return it all and keep the giftcard for when you need it for diapers or other stuff.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• ebp913 said:

I think a trailer is more dangerous than a seat for riding on streets, and most people in Seattle use seats over trailers. A lot of cargo bikes around here. Anyway, I would suggest you look at the Yepp maxi seat. It attaches to the seatpost of most bicycles and is sold at REI.

I agree that it might depend on where you live.  I am just saying that of the 5 bike shops I visited while looking for my own bike, not one of them sold the attached carriers and all sold bike trailers.  I really like the Britax seat when I was looking until we decided on the trailer.  

Even here where people cycle with kids a fair bit, most shops are clueless on how to help people do it. Trailers are easier to sell and set up for people, so I can see why you might find more of those in shops.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• MrsJetSet said:
    Bike trailers are really popular here.  We just bought a Chariot Cougar..  I would probably skip it on the registry though.  I got mine at a significant discount on craigslist used and it looks like new. Have you put toddler items on your registry yet?  Spoons, forks, plates, bowls, a variety of sippys, portable potty, small stool for washing hands?  Those things would be small to store, but still helpful to have. Personally, I would add some toddler stuff and then return it all and keep the giftcard for when you need it for diapers or other stuff.
    Thanks - good ideas!

Even here where people cycle with kids a fair bit, most shops are clueless on how to help people do it. Trailers are easier to sell and set up for people, so I can see why you might find more of those in shops.
    Perhaps I'll do some poking around and see if I can't find any info on safety of one versus the other.  I have ridden a bike with a seat on it before - it is definitely strange at first but you get used to it pretty fast!

For the trailers - how old does LO have to be before they can go in?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"