Baby Showers

What do you think about this

I am unsure about all this but wanted to get your thoughts....

My brother and his fiance are having a baby.  The other day his fiance's mom called my mom.  All she wanted was for my mother to pay half the bill for the baby shower.  My mom agreed of course, but when she got off the phone felt a little upset.  She is not going to get to see anything her mom is buying, have any opinion on anything, they don't even want her to come early to help set up or decorate.....basically they just want the check.  She is feeling left out and understands this is a big time for the mother of mother to be.....but shouldn't my mother get to be involved a tiny bit if she is paying half the bill.  She doesn't even need to get to be involved in desicions.....she just wants to feel apart of this (even help decorate). 

Re: What do you think about this

• If she is paying, then she gets to be involved.  All she has to do it very nicely say to MIL that she is so excited about the little one that she wants to help out in any way she can. Then "When would you like to go shopping for decorations?" and "What time are we setting up for the party?" "Let's do the invitiations on Sunday."

Not, "Would you like me to help set up?"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Asking someone to pay for half of a party - or anything, really - and have no say is extremely rude.  If I were your mother I'd decline.  She shouldn't just be handed a bill!
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you mom call back and say that she "feels bad" that all she is doing is paying for half and wants to help out more - when are they setting up, what can she pick up/make to bring etc. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Your mom needs to find her voice and not just shell out the cash. This is a important moment for her as well and I dont see why she wouldnt be helping out. However, if she is not willing to stand up for her self then people will just walk all over her.?
    Photobucket
  • She should be allowed to help. I would tell my mom to call her back and say something non-negotiable like, "You know Claire, I was thinking, it's really too much to make you do all the decorating yourself. I'll be up at 11am to help with the decorations. Can I pick up the cake on the way?"
  • SO rude. If you can't afford the party you're hosting, you scale it back. You do not call someone else up and demand money to pay for YOUR party.
    "I
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"