March 2014 Moms
Options

Gentamicin (antibiotic for eyes) while pregnant?

I had to go to urgent care last night due to a corneal abrasion and was prescribed an antibiotic called Gentamicin to put in my eye 2x a day for 1 week.  I told the doctor I was 13 weeks pregnant, and he assured me this was safe to take during pregnancy. Of course, I'm going to call my OB in the morning, but I was just wondering if anyone has had to take this during pregnancy. 
BabyFruit Ticker  image

Re: Gentamicin (antibiotic for eyes) while pregnant?

• Options
    I haven't had to take it, but wanted to offer some advice. The eyes don't share much blood with the rest of the body, they get oxygen through their surface. So medicine in or on your eye generally doesn't get into your blood system to where it could affect baby.
  • Options
    Did you ever get a response? I work with an optician and I can ask him on Tuesday if youstillneed an answer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrsdahammmrsdahamm member
    edited August 2013
    This is for systemic aminoglycosides and may not fully apply to the eye ointment

ETA: here is some information I found on ophthalmic drops which should be closer to the ointment.

"Pregnancy:
    Pregnancy Category C: Gentamicin has been shown to depress body weights, kidney weights and median glomerular counts in newborn rats when administered systemically to pregnant rats in daily doses approximately 500 times the maximum recommended ophthalmic human dose. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Gentamicin should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus."

Note that (1) the dose was 500x the ophthalmic dose and (2) it was administered systemically.

• Options
    Opthalamic gent is fine while pregnant (pharmacist here). Use it (as directed) now, don't make it worse by waiting until morning to talk to your OB! IMHO, stay away from google for any medical questions. It's only going to scare and confuse most people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"