Baby Showers

Not sure what to think..

My mother is throwing me a baby shower and I gave her the list o the people I would like to come well she has recently informed me she is inviting some of her friends and co workers..some I know and some I've never met...I'm kinda uneasy about this why do I want people I don't know at my shower but my mom just says I'm throwing the shower and paying for it and besides it more gifts...am I wrong for not wanting these people there?

Re: Not sure what to think..

• my mom and MIL both did this. it is their friends, they are hosting, it is up to them.

the friend will either come or not. just be friendly and thank them. it will be fine. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • My MIL's friends hosted a shower for me, with about 30 folks. My MIL, mom, and friend of my husband's wife were the only three there that I knew. It felt awkward, but I smiled, was gracious, and survived! The hosts can invite whom they want. It's nice when they ask for your guest list, but its not required of them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok thanks I know there isn't really much I could do about it
  • You aren't wrong for feeling that way, but ya just gotta suck it up and deal. My mother did this with my wedding. She "had" to invite several people she worked with that I had literally never met. In the end, if she's paying and there is space and its not making it so someone you want to be there unable to be invited you just have to let it be.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Anniversary
  • Trust me - I 100% know where you're coming from.  I find showers odd events to invite people who don't acutally know theguest of honor.

But here's the thing- while you haven't met them, in a sense, they probably do kind of "know" you.  Your mom probably talks about you, they are excited for HER to become a grandmother, and in turn are excited for you. 

I totally get where you're coming from, but this IS her event, and it's really not a hill I'd die on.

ITA agree. Also, as long as they are true friends of hers and not just semi-casual acquaintances she is inviting *just* to get you more gifts, I see nothing wrong with this. Besides, like PP said, while you don't know them personally, they probably feel like they know you on some level through your mother talking about you and want to share in with her becoming a grandmother. i remember some of my mother's coworkers sent me wedding gifts when I got married, and another one of her work friends sent DH and me a *very* generous gift card to one of our baby registry stores before Jake was born. People live vicariously through one another, and they probably feel like you're sort of a niece to them due to their relationship with your mother.

• ITA agree. Also, as long as they are true friends of hers and not just semi-casual acquaintances she is inviting *just* to get you more gifts, I see nothing wrong with this. Besides, like PP said, while you don't know them personally, they probably feel like they know you on some level through your mother talking about you and want to share in with her becoming a grandmother. i remember some of my mother's coworkers sent me wedding gifts when I got married, and another one of her work friends sent DH and me a *very* generous gift card to one of our baby registry stores before Jake was born. People live vicariously through one another, and they probably feel like you're sort of a niece to them due to their relationship with your mother.
    Aw, this is so sweet! 

• ITA agree. Also, as long as they are true friends of hers and not just semi-casual acquaintances she is inviting *just* to get you more gifts, I see nothing wrong with this. Besides, like PP said, while you don't know them personally, they probably feel like they know you on some level through your mother talking about you and want to share in with her becoming a grandmother. i remember some of my mother's coworkers sent me wedding gifts when I got married, and another one of her work friends sent DH and me a *very* generous gift card to one of our baby registry stores before Jake was born. People live vicariously through one another, and they probably feel like you're sort of a niece to them due to their relationship with your mother.
    Aw, this is so sweet! 

Absolutely; I was very touched. To this day, I have not met any of those co-workers, except for one. It was such a sweet gesture and I'm glad my wonderful mother has people like them in her life

• I don't get the whole "hostess" control thing. A shower is thrown on behalf of the MTB the guest of honor, so why don't we get any say in the matter?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"