Baby Showers

Possibly Jumping the Gun....

I know that second showers are frowned upon, and especially since I have a 20mo DD (and don't know what LO is yet), I don't need anything. So, I guess I would simply decline any offer.....

But when I was pregnant with DD, my ILs lived OOT, and towards the end of pregnancy, I was not on good terms with the females in my IL family. This was because I said that only DH would be in the delivery room with me (MIL thought that EVERYONE should be allowed in, or at least she should), and that I didn't want guests staying in our house the first week we bring home baby (MIL, FIL and SIL's feelings were hurt because we were "keeping the baby from them.") 

Because of all this, MIL, SIL neither AILs came to my shower. MIL said that if I wanted her at my shower, I had to let her in the deliver room....so no shower for her. 

Well, now we are all on good terms (no mention of barging in my delivery room, or trying to stay with me after LO is born), and SIL lives in town. Since they missed the baby shower for DD, a co-worker mentioned that DH's family might want to throw a shower for this LO since they missed out on the first one. (My co-worker threw a shower for her son when he came in town since he missed his wife's first baby shower).

LO is due in March, so I don't know about having a meet the baby (didn't have one with DD---she was born in Dec). 

Thoughts?  

Re: Possibly Jumping the Gun....

• Darbie914 said:
    While I can understand wanting them to be more involved this go-around, their prior immaturity does not mean another shower is an appropriate event.  

I'd say no.

This. I personally wouldn't want anything from them since they were such a-holes with your first baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • If they offered, I would say yes. (if they really sincerely seemed to want to have one)

I would just keep it to ONLY the ILs and only those who didn't come last time. Maybe 10 ladies or so, very modest.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't see at all why this means a 2nd shower.  I don't understand why showers have taken on this "aura" that they are these EVENTS that OMG!!!!!, they just can't be missed and if someone did miss a shower- it needs to somehow be made up to them...???

That makes no sense to me. 

IF your MIL suggests a shower, the only thing I'd agree to is a SMALL shower for her side of the family.  That's it. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I meant to add on my last post that I would say yes to keep the peace with the ILs.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Meery82 said:
    Darbie914 said:
    While I can understand wanting them to be more involved this go-around, their prior immaturity does not mean another shower is an appropriate event.  

I'd say no.

This. I personally wouldn't want anything from them since they were such a-holes with your first baby.
    Exactly!
     BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby GIRL due 12/26
  • I have to say I don't think its worth getting in a fight about something else this time. I'd say yes but just say you don't want anyone invited who was there last time. Maybe it could be a book shower or something, since you don't need anything else? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My only question is how do you know it won't play out like last time? Also, they haven't offered, and I'd be hesitant to take anything they offered because "we threw you a shower so that means we should get to be in the room" seems like a possibility.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wasn't "worried" about it, I just wondered what others thought. Yes, it was brought up by a co worker, not by an IL, so at this point it really is a non-issue. But before it became an issue, I wanted to have some perspective.

I appreciate the feedback !
  • Definitely jumping the gun. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"