Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Intro and question - If you took Cytotec...

Hi ladies!

Officially introducing myself - I have two DDs and found out July 17 that I was expecting again.  About a week ago we went in for our 1st U/S and learned that the fetus was measuring a week behind and the hr was only 43 bpm.  Ugh.  So yesterday we did a repeat U/S.  Unsurprisingly, no growth since last week and no heartbeat.  So... here I am.  *sigh*

After a bunch of research during our week of waiting for the second U/S, I opted for the cytotec because we wanted to get things moving and I'm not a fan of anesthesia.  I know there's a risk of needing a D&C anyway, but at least we'll give a shot at doing it medically.  

So here's my question - If you took cytotec, how long did it take for it to start working?  I took 800 mg at about 9 AM this morning, had a teeny bit of spotting almost immediately, and then since then I've had cramps and terrible diarrhea (oy) but no more bleeding, no clots, etc.  Did it take a while for you to start actually passing anything, or should I call my midwife about taking another dose? 

Re: Intro and question - If you took Cytotec...

• I will be interested to see what other say about this.  We found out two weeks ago that our little one had no heartbeat either.  We met with my doctor just this morning and I took my prescribed dose of Cytotec just awhile ago and am already cramping a bit.  Could be in my head....but it sure feels like something is already taking effect.

My doctor says that it works for most people over the next 24-48 hours and to give it a few days before we would even consider a second dose.

Good luck to you and I am so sorry you have to go through this.  I have two little boys myself and was so excited to add a baby to our family.  God bless!

• ksukelli, how are you doing?  I've finally started bleeding (as of about 90 minutes ago) but the cramping is mostly gone and the bleeding isn't too heavy.  My Cytotec experience has definitely not been as dramatic so far as all the experiences I was reading about!  The cramps weren't too bad at their worst, so I'm hoping maybe now I just need to wait out the bleeding.  I actually took some tylenol w/codeine when I started bleeding thinking the cramps would get worse, but instead they seem to have gotten much lighter (even accounting for the codeine!).

I took 800 mg orally this morning and my midwife has told me to take another 800 mg tomorrow morning, then we'll follow my betas down to zero.

Good luck - hope it works for both of us and we can move on to bigger and better things soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • LuckyFrgg...finally just now able to get back on and check.. Saw that you are going to have to have the D & C anyway...so sorry!

The medicine definitely worked for me.  I took it Friday afternoon and started spotting within 2 hours.  Had LOTS of bleeding and clots from about 8 to midnight that night and then again from 2-5am...it was a LONG night.  The cramping was horrible...pretty close to contractions during labor as my body tried to vacate my uterus.  I had to have my husband hold my hand through a lot of it but I was so glad he was there.

I'm so sorry that you have to wait all this out.  I'm still cramping/bleeding quite a bit today but feel like the worst is behind me.  I'm hoping that I can move on after this but know it may take some time.  You'll be in my thoughts this week as your pregnancy comes to an end as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"