Special Needs

Club Feet ?

Anyone have a diagnosis of Club Feet and possible contractures prior to delivery?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Club Feet ?

• My DS was born with a clubfoot. We found out at his anatomy scan at 20 weeks. Do you have any specific questions? DS is currently 4 and doing well after treatment.
  • Our son will be born on Monday (5 days). It shoes club feet in both and it appears there are contractures in his legs. Everything else has appeared normal and on track, heart, brain, etc.

With the US what did they say? Did they say there was potential of other issues because of the club feet?

What type of treatment did they do for your son!

Thanks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • With the ultrasound they just told us that his right foot showed a clubfoot. He didn't have any contractures. Since we had previously done genetic testing there wasn't concern for anything else. We used the Ponseti treatment protocol. It is the most common and preferred method by doctors. Surgery isn't recommended and if it is initially, that is a red flag and I would find a new doctor. Basically, the Ponseti protocol is serial casting. DS started when he was 3 weeks old (the sooner the better). The doctor put a full leg cast on his leg to gradually stretch/straighten his foot to the normal position. It took 5 casts (each on for one week). Then after the casting, some kids need their Achilles tendon released and the child is then put in another leg cast for 3 weeks so the tendon can heal. Once healed, the child goes into the boots/bar (ponseti bar) for 23 hours per day for about 3-4 months. After that, the time of wear decreases every month or two until they are eventually just in the brace for 14 hours per day (usually nights and naps).

Here is a great website all about clubfoot and treatment method: https://www.ponseti.info/parents/ 

It can seem very overwhelming at first. DS did ok with the casting and bracing. Milestones shouldn't be affected by having the clubfoot. You'll be surprised how well they adjust to it. You can still nurse (if that's what your choose) and baby can still be worn in a carrier. I recommend having a receiving blanket that you can roll up into a log to place under your sons legs when in the car seat. It just makes it more comfortable for them.

Where are you located? Have you found an Orthopedist who is familiar with clubfoot correction?

Good luck with everything and congrats on your little boy!!

• aclobalboaclobalbo member
    edited September 2013
    Spockles- do you have an orthopedist you recommend?  thanks for your advice. 

ETA: page Spockles
  • aclobalbo- we go to the clubfoot clinic at the University of Iowa. I don't know where you live, but if you can get there, I'd highly recommend it. We travel there from MN.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"