February 2014 Moms
Options

Weight Gain

I'm 15 weeks and have gained 10 pounds. I feel like this is a lot considering that throughout the whole pregnancy you should gain around 25-35 pounds. Am I gaining too much? How many pounds did you guys gain and how fast did you gain them?

Re: Weight Gain

• Options
    This is really a question for your doctor. They're the only one who can tell you if you're on track or not.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Ditto Ziggy. There are tons of factors that go into weight gain that are really individual, including what weight you started at, how much fluid you're retaining, ect. Your doc will let you know if it's a concern.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh okay thanks you guys I was just curious :)
  • Options

I have gained 9 lbs and I'm 15 weeks. 

I read that the first trimester you should gain 3 - 5 lbs. and then 1/2 a lb. to a 1 lb. a week until delivery.  That being said if you were underweight (BMI) than you'll gain more weight than say someone who is overweight and should gain less.

I am in the normal BMI range (lower end) and gained 48 lbs. with DS.  I would love to only gain 35 lbs. with this baby.  With my calculations if baby is a week late (DS was 10 days late) I will hopefully weigh 35 lbs. at delivery if I gain a lb. a week at this point.  Also some people gain more in the beginning and some gaine more at the end or middle.  Everyone's different.

Don't stress about it, cause honestly you're going to have to lose it either way (whether it be 5 lbs. or 15 lbs.) and it's hard work (at least for me) either way.

• Options
    No problem @giovannafrnc143! It's an understandable question, we just can't answer it for you :)

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Tally06Tally06 member
    edited August 2013
    I just asked for my records from my pregnancy with DS yesterday so that I can compare. I gained 47 pounds with him and I was at the top of normal weight range (BMI: 24.6) when I got pregnant. I really should have stuck to 25 pounds max.

Here is what my chart shows:

7W: First appointment
    11 W: +1 lb
    15 W: +9 lb (+10 net gain)
    19W: +7 lb (+17 net gain)
    24 W: +9 lb (+26 net gain)
    27 W: +1 lb (+27 net gain)
    31 W: +7 lb (+34 net gain)
    33 W: - 4 lb (+30 net gain)
    35 W: +10 lb (+40 net gain)
    36 W: -1 lb (+39 net gain)
    37 W: +4 lb (+43 net gain)
    38 W: +4 lb (+47 net gain)
    39 W: 0       (+47 net gain)
    40 W: 0       (+47 net gain)

This time, I didn't totally lose all of the baby weight and started 10 pounds heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight with DS, so I want to be much more careful with my weight gain. I didn't pay attention to my weight AT ALL with DS and never even looked at the scale at my appointments - big mistake. This is the first time that I am seeing my weight gain.

I am eating really well with lots of fruits and veggies and protein and unlike last time, I have continued working out. I lost 9 pounds in first tri I think due to my healthier eating habits and increased metabolism due to pregnancy. I have gained one pound in second tri so far. I discussed my weight with my doctor yesterday and the plan is to gain 1/2 pound per week for the rest of my pregnancy - so I plan on gaining about 15-20 pounds between now and when I deliver.

My advice is to not stress over weight gain but to not do what I did and totally ignore it. Instead be mindful of food choices and know when to pull back if the scale jumps up too much too fast (at one point, I gained 10 pounds in little over 2 weeks with DS!). That's my plan at least!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my first I gained 50lbs. 20lbs was by 17 weeks. So far I haven't gained any and I'll be 15 weeks on Thursday. I retained 22lbs from my last pregnancy so if I gain normally from here I'll break even, although I'd rather work towards only gained 15-20.
  • Options
    I have gained maybe a few lbs depending on the day and I am 16w2d.  I am already a bigger girl, so my doctor wasn't concerned that I haven't gained much weight.  He said I could still deliver a decent size baby with only gaining 15lbs.
    imageimage

• Options
    During my last pregnancy, I gained 55 lbs.  I am towards the top of the normal BMI range.  I gained 18 lbs with DD by week 20.  I did lose all the baby weight and started this pregnancy at about the same weight as the last one.  So far, at 15 weeks I have gained 6 lbs. I have been eating much better this time around.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    At 15 weeks, I have gained a whopping one lb.  I'm actually nervous that maybe baby isn't growing enough.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    giovannafrnc143 I actually posted something similar not too long ago as I'm also concerned about weight gain. Quick background, this is my 1st pregnancy & I was a healthy weight (BMI) so should "ideally" gain 25-35 lbs. Over 14wks now and up approx. 7 lbs. I was told weight gain of 10 lbs by 20 wks is an average but everyone is different.

I didn't have morning sickness and instead was starving 24/7 in early pregnancy + extremely fatigued. My doctor says the best thing to do is listen to your body, try to eat healthy, work out and it should all balance out. Some women don't gain much (if anything) in 1st trimester then pack on the lbs in 2nd/3rd trimester. Others spike up front then taper off - really hoping that's the case with me. Try not to stress about it. Easier said than done, I know. 

Baby GIRL K is on the way! <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

It just seems like everyone gains (or doesn't gain) SO differently. I'm 14 weeks and have gained almost five pounds...and I had lost several pounds initially. It seemed to come on crazy fast--like a growth spurt of sorts.

I figure as long as our doctors are happy and we're being healthy, no worries. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    At 10 weeks I was up 6 pounds. I'm at 15 weeks 2 days and according to my home scale I gained 5 pounds since my last appointment 5 weeks ago. I'm sure I'll get a lecture today at my appointment.
    Our baby boy passed to SIDS on 12/6/12http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vaebew.jpg
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    A gift from Heaven...Our Little RAINBOW arrived 1/31/14!

• Options
    I gained 5 and then lost 7 so I actually weigh 2 lbs less now than before I got my BFP. I don't know how because I'm still eating but my dr wasn't too happy. but I agree, check with your dr.
  • Options
    Ditto others that said you should find out from your doc if they are concerned.

However, I gained exactly 35 with DS- my doc said I was underweight to begin with (according to my BMI I am not underweight so I don't agree) and that I should gain 35-40 so I was right where he wanted my weight gain.

This time I had hella morning sickness.  It has gotten much better and by my 16 week appointment I was up 2 pounds which my doctor was happy with.  If I gain a pound a week I will be at 26 pounds overall which is in the healthy range.

HOWEVER, last time I gained a big chunk of the weight in late third tri due to water retention.  So keep that in mind if you see the scale going up in huge increments toward the end.
  • Options
    I gained 77 lbs with DS. I was slim but not active to start with, and it packed on quickly. I was never sick. FWIW, I didn't have a tough time losing it. I didn't really get back to the gym until DS was 2, but I was below my pre-pregnancy weight by the time he was 8 months. I didn't diet, just breastfed and kept busy. I'm trying very hard to maintain the healthier activity level I had prior to this pregnancy, but I fell off the exercise wagon in first tri due to sickness and fatigue. I was one doing a lot of small meals and snacking to combat nausea, and now I"m so hungry I could chew a table leg. I've gained between 5-7 lbs so far, at 14 weeks. It looks like a LOT more.
    I'm convinced that TheBump is having a posthumous feud with Steve Jobs and you can't post siggys from Macs. 

Cue Hormonal Rage.

• Options
    I had only gained 1 pound up until about a week and a half. I think I'm up 4 pounds now.
    I was worried about LO. But the midwife assured me that LO was just fine especially since he/she is measuring 2 days ahead.

Like PP mentioned your OB will be able to let you know if you're on track or if you may need to adjust weight gain.
    October Siggy Challenge "Scared People"
    BFP#1: 10-20-12 Missed M/C: 11-30-12
    BFP#2: 5-26-13 Due Date 2-2-14 
    COUNTDOWN BEGINS
    COMING 2-2-14
    BABY K

• Options
    Weighted myself yesterday morning at 14 weeks and have gained a whopping half a pound. If I gain a pound a week from here on out I'll be in the "normal" target range of 25-35 lbs overall. Yesterday was the first day I'd felt truly hungry since mid-June, so I have no doubt I'll be able to eat the extra calories I need to gain that weight. (; Have some food, half hour later, hungry again. Snack. Still hungry. ALL DAY. F. Good thing I plan to eat mostly fruits, veggies, and whole grains, no?
  • Options
    I have gained 1 lb total.

With DS, I gained 22 lbs total. He was 8 lbs! I actually lost 10 lbs in 1st tri with him. I didn't lose any this time.
    #rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"