March 2013 Moms
Options

Cio

For those that have done it or are trying it, how long do you let them cry total? I know you go in at different intervals, but how long until you ditch.

I tried about a month or so ago. He cries for A LONG TIME. His time never got any shorter so I quit. He's a persistent little thing. I'm at a loss with getting him to sleep. He has such a hard time getting to sleep. :/
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Cio

• Options
    This is what I've read about CIO - you can't "ditch it" and save them. Then you're teaching them that if they cry for x amount of minutes, that you'll come in and get them. Sucks, but I've read that in many books. This applies to night time - naps are different. If he cries for 30 minutes for nap, I get him out and we play some more then try again.
    DS cried about an hour the first night and he cries now about 15 minutes or less. He always cries less when DH puts him down. For naps, the same thing - if you get him at the right time before he's over tired, he won't cry at all. 
    I also started with checking at intervals, but that made him more worked up, so we did extinction instead of checking. If you're consistent with it, they'll learn quicker. 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    For us, it all depends on his cries. If it has been a half hour, but his cries are starting to slow down (with long pauses in between), it means he's starting to fall asleep so we leave him. It is has been 45-60 minutes and its frantic, extremely upset crying, we'll get him and feed him or rock him for like 5 minutes and then put him back (awake). We've never had to repeat this.

Every baby is different, so I think you just need to try a couple different things and see what works for you. It may not be what the CIO books say, but we've found it works for us.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh it's so tough. For three nights he cried for 2 hours until I called it quits. That seems so long. :( I know he is not hungry and is clean. He just wants the boob in his mouth all night. And he barely naps about an hour a day (for real). He absolute does not want to go to sleep. He's happy unless you lay him in a bed. I guess I will grit my teeth and be consistent with CIO. I don't like it but neither of us are getting sleep. He's GOT to learn how to go to sleep.
  • Options
    shellmh said:

For us, it all depends on his cries. If it has been a half hour, but his cries are starting to slow down (with long pauses in between), it means he's starting to fall asleep so we leave him. It is has been 45-60 minutes and its frantic, extremely upset crying, we'll get him and feed him or rock him for like 5 minutes and then put him back (awake). We've never had to repeat this.

Every baby is different, so I think you just need to try a couple different things and see what works for you. It may not be what the CIO books say, but we've found it works for us.

Yes, mine seems to get more mad when I check on him. Maybe I'll just do greater intervals...
  • Options

shellmh said:

Yes, mine seems to get more mad when I check on him. Maybe I'll just do greater intervals...
    Our trick is that only DH goes in to check on/comfort him. That way he doesn't see or smell me. It works perfectly.
  • Options
    I am on night 13 and he usually cries about an hour still! I've had two miracle nights (tonight being one) where he cried one minute then was asleep in 12 more quiet minutes. It gives me hope! The 4 a.m. Wakings are very different. The cry is way more frantic and of course I'm less patient. I usually go in after 30 minutes then and he sleeps on me because I can't calm him otherwise. His naps are literally 10 minutes in the crib. So we have to nap him in the ergo. I'm not doing CIO for naps yet. Probably should I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"