Trying to Get Pregnant

Prenatals and Implanon

I have a few questions for you ladies that lurking and google haven't answered (to my satisfaction lol)

First, if you read this and you haven't read my intro I will say I am not TTC right now, my husband is deployed but we have decided to start TTC once he is home next year so I decided it would be best for me to learn as much as I can and get in the best "baby making shape" possible because I have seen so many of my friends having a hard time TTC!

I have started taking prenatals, I got a store brand one from the PX, it has Folic Acid and Iron, which I was reading many didn't have both?  I did read that it's easy to OD on Iron.  I am anemic and actually need Iron so I don't think that is going to be an issue but I wanted to know if that is very common.  There is only 200 mg of calcium, is that enough?  Also would it be beneficial to start taking DHA supplements already, too?

Now for my birth control, I have Implanon/Nexplanon and I was going to get it removed.  I figure the sooner the better (even though I am scared, this is my second time and its implanted deep this time!)  Has anyone had Implanon, how long after removal did AF become "normal", did it effect your fertility at all?

And I almost forgot, I drink a ton of coffee, should I start cutting back now or does it really matter that much?

Thank you!!

Re: Prenatals and Implanon

• Here is a LINK to Mayo Clinic's recommendations on PNVs.  But I'm sure you could find more with a simple google search it you're looking for more specifics.

DHA is one of those things that some are for and some don't see the point of until you get a BFP.  I take them now.

I drink a lot of coffee.  It's up to you.  That's more a personal choice than anything else. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.

• I only had Implanon in for 6 months but I didn't have a period the entire time I was on it, and it took 3 months to get a period after removing it. I would definitely recommend removing it as soon as possible, if you want to start tracking your cycle

Wow! Glad I asked, definitely removing it asap.  I rarely get a period and I have had it for 3+ years now.  Its convenient not having a period right now, but if it might take months I need to get it out and just deal with AF!
  • Loading the player...
  • EllyD14 said:
    Here is a LINK to Mayo Clinic's recommendations on PNVs.  But I'm sure you could find more with a simple google search it you're looking for more specifics.

DHA is one of those things that some are for and some don't see the point of until you get a BFP.  I take them now.

I drink a lot of coffee.  It's up to you.  That's more a personal choice than anything else. 
    I did read that page before, I guess I skipped over that part that said "If you don't drink milk or eat calcium-rich foods, talk to your health care provider about calcium and vitamin D supplements."
    The Omega-3's are the DHA, correct?
    I am vegan and I feel I get an adequate amount of calcium, but I would imagine it isn't going to hurt to be more on the high side.  Especially since I believe I am low in Vit D and that is required to properly absorb the calcium.  So maybe I should take the DHA lol,
  • How much coffee do you drink?  I think 200-300mg of caffeine is OK when you are pregnant, which is about a cup, not quite sure (depends on the type).  IMO, No need to cut back for an entire year.  I love my caffeine and tried to cut back and have gotten serious headaches which forces me to take pain killers.  Maybe once your husband gets back you can cut back a little if it is a concern.  For me, I'd rather drink a cup of coffee and curb my caffeine craving than have headaches.
    Wellllll I would say I drink on average 4-8 cups of coffee a day lmao.  My husband will be back in about 7-9 months, would you think it would be best for me to slowly start cutting back?  I've never tried to cut back but I would imagine I would definitely get headaches from the caffeine withdrawals as well and we happen to conceive quickly I wouldn't want to deal with that while pregnant.
  • How much coffee do you drink?  I think 200-300mg of caffeine is OK when you are pregnant, which is about a cup, not quite sure (depends on the type).  IMO, No need to cut back for an entire year.  I love my caffeine and tried to cut back and have gotten serious headaches which forces me to take pain killers.  Maybe once your husband gets back you can cut back a little if it is a concern.  For me, I'd rather drink a cup of coffee and curb my caffeine craving than have headaches.
    Wellllll I would say I drink on average 4-8 cups of coffee a day lmao.  My husband will be back in about 7-9 months, would you think it would be best for me to slowly start cutting back?  I've never tried to cut back but I would imagine I would definitely get headaches from the caffeine withdrawals as well and we happen to conceive quickly I wouldn't want to deal with that while pregnant.
    4 isn't so bad, 8 may be a lot, lol.  Maybe talk with your Dr. about the best ways to cut back? Or maybe make a schedule for yourself about when you should start cutting back?  I would say switch to decaf, but that would be blasphemy, lol. 
    So glad someone is on the same page as me when it comes to decaf ;)
    I think a schedule would be a good idea, and I will mention it to my OBGYN when I go in to get my BC removed.  I'm sure she will be able to give some information on it lol.
    I would imagine 8 cups a day is unhealthy, pregnant or not lmfao.  Seeing it typed out makes me think I may have a coffee addiction XD
  • edited August 2013
  • I believe most PNVs don't have a lot of calcium if they have iron because the calcium can interfere with iron absorption. So if you need extra calcium beyond what's in your diet, I would take it at a different time of day.

If you're vegan I would definitely recommend DHA- I think there are some versions that are seaweed derived if you'd rather avoid fish oil. DHA is the most important omega-3 fat.

Good luck cutting back on coffee! That was difficult for me but I drank way too much in grad school so I cut back a while ago. :) As PPs have said, 3-4 cups a day is not so bad but 8 is really quite a bit.

Emma Noelle, 5/8/14
  • Wellllll I would say I drink on average 4-8 cups of coffee a day lmao.  My husband will be back in about 7-9 months, would you think it would be best for me to slowly start cutting back?  I've never tried to cut back but I would imagine I would definitely get headaches from the caffeine withdrawals as well and we happen to conceive quickly I wouldn't want to deal with that while pregnant.
    4 isn't so bad, 8 may be a lot, lol.  Maybe talk with your Dr. about the best ways to cut back? Or maybe make a schedule for yourself about when you should start cutting back?  I would say switch to decaf, but that would be blasphemy, lol. 
    So glad someone is on the same page as me when it comes to decaf ;)
    I think a schedule would be a good idea, and I will mention it to my OBGYN when I go in to get my BC removed.  I'm sure she will be able to give some information on it lol.
    I would imagine 8 cups a day is unhealthy, pregnant or not lmfao.  Seeing it typed out makes me think I may have a coffee addiction XD
    I just had my first cup of decaf today. I'm not a fan. At. All. It tastes like crap and leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. I was however, up until about 2 months ago, a Diet Dew addict. 52 oz every single day. Since I kicked the habit, I feel better physically. For yourself though, maybe slowly decrease your consumption? That way you're not going cold turkey, but you're still reducing the amount of coffee you drink?

Good luck when your husband gets home!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • When I cut back on my coffee I mixed decaffeinated beans with regular. I did it slowly to where I didn't really notice. Now I don't drink as much as you do but it may be worth a try.

Over the years I've managed to cut out almost all my caffeine by using that method. I'm down to about one cup of caffeine a day in any form and I don't get headache if I don't have it.
    Fucking bump!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"