Baby Names
Options

List the top 5 girl and boy names you hear in your city!

I think names are more popular depending on the region.  I live in Portland, OR and am around a lot of children.

Names I have been hearing more of lately:
Eloise
Calliope
Juniper
Ruby
Lillian

Boys:
Hudson
Rowan
Silas
Wyatt
Arlo

All great names, IMO!

Re: List the top 5 girl and boy names you hear in your city!

• Options
    *and tell us what city you live in so we can compare!
  • Options
    Southern Alberta: Girls: Olivia Sophia Emma Ella Peyton Boy: Jackson/Jax/Jack Braden Aiden Liam Jacob

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Orange County, CA. I can't think of 5 for each but Charlotte, Ella, Emma, Liam and Jackson seem popular.
    <3 Delaney. 4.5.12. <3 <br> Photobucket
  • Options
    That is funny! I used to teach in a Montessori school and I attend a lot of community events with kids (I have a DD). I have heard or met a child each of the names I have listed at least twice. I guess I wouldn't say they are the most popular but that they are the names I am starting to hear more of or that are fresh and catching on, if that makes sense? :)
  • Options
    I'm in the Philly area:

Names I have heard around and at DD's daycare most often are:
    Olivia
    Ava
    Mason
    Avery (all girls)
    Liam

Nothing too surprising on this list!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    BKau said:

Makes sense :) This makes me wonder if certain areas within Portland have different name trends... hmm, now I'm really curious!

I think it was in Super Freakonomics where I read about a study of names that showed they follow socio economic trends. That is, the book said, names that are pop within the highest socioeconomic level become popular in a lower socioeconomic level a few years later as they fall out of use among the highest SE level. So, if this is valid, there would be differences among neighborhoods of the same city. I think in this "global" world where people move so much and know the same cultural references thanks to movies, tv, and music, I think regional differences for something like names are much less prevalent than they once were. But some stand - for ex, I believe the double name thing is most used in the south. But being in the south, I look around my friends and their kids, and I only can think of 3 double names, so it's not *that* common here - or at least not in my neighborhood...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Olivia, and anything with the nickname madi or Ellie for girls. Jackson, Mason, Aiden for boys.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Wow-- I like the names that are in and around your city, OP!

In a very unofficial study-- I would say the names I am hearing are:

Girls:

Olivia

Avery

Emma

Sofia/ Sophia

Lily

Boys:

Jack

Aidan

Michael

Jackson

Liam

I am in LI.  Not a lot of creativity here.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    Girls:
    Sophia/Sophie
    Annabel
    Emma
    Audrey/Aubrey
    Fiona

Boys:
    Jackson/Jaxon/Jaxson
    Liam/William
    Miles
    Grayson
    Owen

I'm in the Chicago suburbs.
  • Options

Boys:
    Gavin
    Liam
    Jack
    Tyler

Girls:
    Ava
    Amelia
    Sophia

This is in the Boston area.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Yeah, its almost hard to name your kid in Portland because so many of the names I like are starting to be really popular!
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    I'm in the piedmont of NC

Girls:
    Riley
    Cadence
    Ella
    Lily
    Anna Grace

Boys:
    Jackson
    Joshua
    Justin
    Matthe
    Andrew
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    Bookelly said:
    Girls: Sophia/Sophie Annabel Emma Audrey/Aubrey Fiona Boys: Jackson/Jaxon/Jaxson Liam/William Miles Grayson Owen I'm in the Chicago suburbs.
    Me too.  I was just thinking in my mom's group alone, there are 4-5 Sophia/Sophie's, and 2 Elizabeth's and for boys 3-ish Liam's.  I'm not sure of a top 5.  There are a lot of people that like names that "aren't too popular" or "out of the Top 50".
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• Options

Eastern Tennessee here:

I personally know:

3 girls named Lily/Lill,ie Grace

4 girls named Madeline/Madelyn Grace

4 girls named Addison

The rest are more You-neek.  Nothing repetitive...just names that make you want to claw your eyes out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Girls:

Isabella

Olivia

Chloe

Grace

Aubrey

Boys:

Aiden

Kayden

Brayden

Jackson

Brody

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage

Natural M/C at 7 weeks 9.17.08 Natural M/C at 7 weeks 2.1.13

• Options
    When we lived in the Sacramento,CA area, there were tons of Maddie's and my son's grade alone had every Aiden version out there (and more than one of each) - Aiden, Brayden, jaden, Caden, Hayden.. It was ridiculous!! My DD is Adelaide and she was the only one and there were no Addie's either. Now we live in central Iowa and their school is chock full of Addie's (mostly Addison). And holy cow do the Iowans LOVE ewe-kneek spellings of common names!!
  • Options
    Honestly, I am in VA, and maybe it's just my circle of friends, but "repeats" are kind of rare. Here just a few that have shown up more than once (but not usually more than twice):

1. Genevieve
    2. Elizabeth
    3. Liam
    4. Seamus
    5. Variations on Claire

A lot of the moms in my circles love long, almost ancient/historical/religious names for both boys and girls. Many are international. If I were to look at a school roster or a hospital list, the names might be more mainstream and there might be more repeats.
  • Options
    I live in the middle of Missouri. I have never met an Addie. I know three boys named Carter, two boys named Xander, two girls named Eloise/Eloize, and two Peyton/Payton (first one boy, second girl). Other than that I haven't had any repetitions in my class. I work as a toddler teacher.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 (my birthday!) MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

TTC #1 (Round 2): May 16, 2014 

Names | Blog | Chart

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    I'm outside of NYC.

The names I hear most on the playground and read in local newspaper's birth announcements:

Sophia/Sofia
    Isabella
    Abigail
    Madeline
    Olivia

Mason
    Jack
    Ethan
    Noah
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• Options
    edited August 2013
    In Seattle, not sure if I can come up with a top five...
    Boys:
    Ben/Benjamin
    Jack
    Henry
    Jacob

Girls:
    Lily/Lillian
    Sophia
    Stella
    Violet
    I feel like I'm hearing Hazel and Evelyn more on the playground lately, although I don't actually know anyone with these names
    ETA: forgot about Alice
  • Options
    Also, my 6 year old's circle of friends were chock full of Carter, Cooper and Parker.
  • Options
    Tyler, TX

Girls- Lilly/Lillian/Lileath all nn Lily
    Adalynn/Addyson
    Sophia 
    Madelyn/Madalynn
    Bryleigh ×2 /Braylee
    Kinsleigh
    Paisley/Paislee
    Riley

Apparently the lee thing is trending big time around here.

Boys.
    Jaxon
    Konner/Cooper
    Aiden/Hayden
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I'd also like to mention some standouts in my area- 

The good:

A baby girl named Laura (It's my name, so I'm biased, but I was so surprised to hear it!)

The bad:

A baby girl named Valen. So odd to me.

The ugly:

Another girl- Named Bos.tyn.  I can't tell you how much I hate this one.
    Is bos.tyn a half of an email address? Gahh, that's really unfortunate.

Ps. I am happy that Laura is still making the rounds. I like it better than Lauren. But I think that's because I always felt like I stood out in a positive and traditional way amongst the Laurens I grew up with.

imageimage

• Options
    I'm in northern Va...

Boys: Aiden and Jack are the most common repeats I've heard

Girls: nothing really jumps out, but friends in other parts of VA have Sophia, Eleanor, Irene, Kaelyn, and Raegan
  • Options

Orange County, CA. I can't think of 5 for each but Charlotte, Ella, Emma, Liam and Jackson seem popular.

I'm in OC as well and second this.
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

nj

Isabella

Sophia

Olivia

ava

emma

joseph

Anthony

Michael