Food Allergy

Milk allergy, Nutramigen, and skin...

This is my first time posting on the FA board.

My DD2 is seven weeks old. About two weeks ago she started being extremely colic-y, vomiting after bottles, screaming while she pooped, and her baby acne turned more into rough red patches on her cheeks. I switched her from Gerber Gentle to Gerber Soothe, and a day or so later I started mixing the Soothe with AR to help with the spit up. It didn't help. The vomit continued and became more projectile. She continued to scream while pooping and started screaming any time she was awake. I called her Dr. who put her on ProSoBee. DD2 then started screaming through her bottles and would barely drink more than an ounce or two at a time. I was able to get her to drink the whole 4 oz bottle in the middle of the night while she was asleep, but otherwise she didn't take well to the soy either. 

She was on the soy for three days and today I just couldn't take any more screaming. I called her Dr. back and she put DD on Nutramigen. When I got home, DD finished an entire 4 oz bottle without crying and didn't spit up or vomit afterwards. I started googling and discovered that Atopic Dermatitis is a symptom of a CMPA. It also looks very much like the "baby acne"/rough red patches on DD's face. 

I have no experience with this sort of allergy. My older DD was on soy formula for what I guess was a milk intolerance. But it was no where near this severe. She was also fine once she turned a year old and was able to drink cow's milk just fine.

So I guess I'm here to ask for advice, or support, or whatever you want to give me. Will she outgrow this? Will she be able to drink milk one day? Her pedi really didn't give my any information other than just telling me to change her formula. I'm doing the research myself. 

Thanks 

Re: Milk allergy, Nutramigen, and skin...

• My DD was put on Alimentum for a milk allergy, but she wouldn't take it. She also had severe acid reflux. Because of the combination she wasn't getting enough milk daily and we were worried about dehydration. Plus, the vomiting and her refusal to eat had lasted so long we couldn't wait for her to get used to the Alimentum. Soooo.. I ended up on a dairy free diet, DD was put on Prevacid, and we add Saff flower oil to her BM for calories. When I stopped eating dairy, after about 24-36 hours you could begin to see a difference. The screaming stopped, the projectile vomiting got lesser and lesser. Now DD is eating more and is a happy girl unless mommy accidentally gets some unknown dairy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"