Ohio Babies

Newark mommies

aeskins740aeskins740 member
edited July 2021 in Ohio Babies

Anyone else live in the Newark area? I've been trying to decide if I want to continue at Licking Memorial or go over to Riverside. Everyone seems nice in Newark but this is my first little one and I want to make sure it's a perfect experience.

Also where can I find used maternity clothes. I don't see any sense in spending a lot of clothes I will be growing out of so quickly.

Lastly, when should I have pregnancy pictures taken? Any suggestions on photographers?

Re: Newark mommies

• Correction: I meant to say I don't see any sense in spending a lot on clothes I will be growing out of so quickly. Sorry lady's my pregnancy brain is muddled. :-)
  • I'm originally from Newark, so I can give some input. My sister had my nephew while living in Newark. She decided to give birth at St. Ann's. She wasn't happy with the midwife she found in Newark and the people she dealt with at the hospital just weren't doing it for her. In the end she was happy to have gone with St. Ann's. I've known people who are happy with Riverside, but according to my sister's bf (he's a NICU nurse at Riverside), the Riverside experience is a little more traditional. My sister likes to have a lot of input with her birth experiences, so St. Ann's is a better fit for her. I've also known people who were happy with Licking Memorial, but I've also heard more complaints about them than other hospitals in regards to birth. (They were awesome with my dad's heart attack).
    As far as maternity clothes, a lot of the consignment shops aren't priced much differently than the retail stores. You might be able to find stuff at thrift stores. A coworker of mine was able to find some really great options at garage sales (I just don't have the patience for it). I went maternity clothes shopping with my mom in Newark a month or so ago and I found some pretty nice options at Target and Kohls. Columbus Kohls stores don't typically have big maternity sections, but the Newark one is decent since there aren't too many other options. My sister was pretty into Old Navy. There are a couple of their stores in Columbus that have small maternity sections, but there are way more options online and they offer free shipping for order over $50. I think they also have free returns. My sister also said to watch for sales at places like Destination Maternity. The front of their stores display all their expensive stuff, but if you head toward the back you'll find more reasonably priced options.
  • Loading the player...
  • Licking Memorial has really amped up their maternity program over the last 5 years or so. They now have a labor/delivery unit, a post partum unit for after baby is born and for your actual hospital stay, and a breastfeeding clinic on site. They also do a sit down dinner (think steak) for the new mom and dad the evening after baby is born. They have top of the line drs and equipment now, but also are very quick to transport to another hospital (ie OSU) if they foresee any issues.

I would say do maternity tours at the hospitals you are considering and see which one seems to be the right fit for you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"