May 2013 Moms
Options

My HUGE Parenting Fail This Weekend (AW and really long)

AllieAGameAllieAGame member
edited August 2013 in May 2013 Moms
Anyone interested in hearing about how I sucked at being a mom this weekend?

This is one of our last weekends in Germany, so we wanted to visit our favorite town, Heidelberg, with LO (and our good friend). I get everything packed up- diaper bag fully loaded, my purse, baby, PISA pump with all the necessary equipment and LO's empty bottles for feeding when it's time (I was planning to pump in the car right before we got there), and the cooler bag with 3 freshly pumped bottles of milk. 

So we load up the car with only one trip back to the house to get the Baby Bjorn that I forgot and we are about an hour in to our hour and a half drive when LO gets just a little fussy. Time to eat! So I get one of the cold BM bottles out and start warming it in between my boobs. We keep rolling down the autobahn and after about 10 minutes I reach for my PISA backpack that has ALL the bottle stuff in it (nipples, rings, Playtex bottles that we use), sans the actual breastmilk.

OMG. I forgot the pump with all the bottle stuff. We are an hour from home. LO is crying.

We quickly find the nearest town and after several tense wrong turns and a sobbing Mommy (thankfully Husband was driving), we find a CVS type store. LO is not too fussy- she took a binkey and was even smiling as I changed her diaper while Husband runs in to buy a bottle. After all, we have the milk- we can buy a bottle even if it's not what LO is used to, right? 

Wrong. Turns out she HATES the Nuk. She's gagging and sputtering and there is more milk going down her onsie than in her mouth. She becomes hysterical. I run in and buy the newborn Advent bottle (thank God for a brand I recognized). H is trying to shush her to calm her down to even try the new bottle and I notice her legs have turned PURPLE AND ORANGE. I'm not exaggerating when I say her legs looked like someone took purple and orange marker to them- I would have thought they were leggings if it wasn't my baby. Thankfully I don't lose my sh*t and take her from Husband and lay her out on the diaper mat in the back seat of the car to try to examine her closely while our friend runs in and asks where the nearest hospital is (just in case) and after about 45 seconds her coloring became normal again. The best we can figure is that her circulation was being cut off from the way H was holding her and her screaming fit- which we now realize probably had nothing to do with hunger. 

Finally LO calms down enough to try the Advent bottle, and she doesn't love it, but at least she's not choking. After a few minutes she seems to get the hang of it and takes most of the bottle. After that she is happy and smiling and totally fine. I, however, am a wreck. Who goes on a road trip without bottles for their baby?!?!? If this had been a Sunday we would have been SOL because literally all the stores are closed. 

So we feed her and get back in the car (we decide just to go home since our nerves are shot at this point) and now I notice she has a sock-shaped rash on her feet! So obviously there was also something wrong with her socks (they were clean and washed with all her other things- no idea what happened there). I didn't put her socks back on her, and after 30 minutes or so the rash went away. Ugh.

She's been fine the rest of the day and I've watched her like a hawk. Feeling really frazzled but so relieved she seems alright. 
She is here! 5-29-13

Re: My HUGE Parenting Fail This Weekend (AW and really long)

• Options
    Yeah, don't be too hard on yourself! With all the baby stuff to lug around, forgetting a bag is easy to do.  I'm sorry for the nerve-wracking day you've had though! Glad she's OK!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That doesn't sound fun at all, but I'm glad everything was alright in the end.  Hope you got to enjoy the trip after your bump in the road was ironed out!
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Holy smokes, what a day!! I'm sorry that happened to you and glad LO is ok now :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh wow, you poor thing I can't imagine what your level of stress must have been! One of those "fun" parenting moments....ugh.
  • Options
    Thanks for letting me get all that out! Man, I'm still a little jittery. The bottle thing was stressful enough, but what really worried me was the discoloration on her legs. I keep checking under her blanket to make sure it's not happening again. I'm sure I'll stop doing that in at least six or seven years. :) 
    She is here! 5-29-13

• Options
    This sounds a little like me last weekend! Went up north for a long weekend with another couple and their toddler and I forgot my nipple shield! We were frantically calling everywhere on the way up and finally found a Walgreens that had one, we barely made it in the store before they closed. I was an absolute wreck! But - we got it and all was well.

It happens'!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Options
    Aww. Don't be so hard on yourself. I've packed the diaper bag up and forgotten it. Twice. The purple orange leg happened to LO when husband was holding her at a party last weekend. She didn't even complain but think she got pins and needles when the blood started flowing again. It was FREAKY. And now I'm worried its happening when she's wearing pants/jammies.
    I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • Options
    That's rough! When something goes wrong, it's always one thing after another!

Also, I wish my boobs were big enough to warm up bottles! How convenient! :)

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hugs, Mama! You're doing a great job even if there are a few hiccups along the way! Glad you're all feeling better.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Aww. Sorry you had such abad day! You are doing great though! I'm sure LO doesn't remember any of it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Options
    CNJ4EVACNJ4EVA member
    edited August 2013
    CNJ4EVA said:

That doesn't sound fun at all, but I'm glad everything was alright in the end.  Hope you got to enjoy the trip after your bump in the road was ironed out!

Nevemind, I see now that you went straight home. Comment fail.

Edited to fix SECOND comment fail.....
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
  • Options
    What a day and a half! I'm glad everything was fine in the end.  My nerves would have been shattered as well. Hugs.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Aww. Sorry you had such a bad day! You are doing great though! I'm sure LO doesn't remember any of it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Options
    It's ok mamma! I've done the same thing - out shopping and had BM, but no bottle! Had to make a target stop ASAP for a bottle! Ugh.
    Me: 32
    DH: 35
    DD #1: 6/1/2013
    EDD #2: 6/7/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm hoping you got all the bad luck out of the way, and this means your travels to the states will be easy-peezy! Sorry you had such a scare. It is so not fun. I'm really glad you're all ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"