Baby Names

Opinion on Boy Name

Finian Robert. Fin for short.

Finian is an Irish name, although not common in the US.  DH and I both have Irish heritage on one side of each of our respective families, although we both also belong to another ethnic group which seems confused by this choice.

DH and I both really love this name - however, we have been getting some flack about it from family ... thoughts?

Re: Opinion on Boy Name

• If you and your husband both agree and like the name then go for it!  And dismiss the nay saying family opinions....they'll love him once he's here regardless of what his name is.  I like the name!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like it but I'd spell it Finnian. One N looks like a typo to me.
    Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • Loading the player...
  • i don't care for it, but if you love the name, don't let what your families say change your minds.

this is why we didn't reveal the bean's name to ANYONE until after she was born.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son's name is Finlay, and we call him Finn. I think Finnian is the more common spelling, not Finian, but it is your child and your choice! Just so you know people will probably spell it Finn, not Fin, since I think 2 n's are also more common.
  • It sounds off to me.  Like it's missing the G in Finnegan.
  • I like it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love it! In fact if we were having a girl we were going to name her Finlay. I do agree with PPs that the two N's would probably make his life a lot easier in terms of not constantly having to correct people on the spelling of his name.

Very handsome name though. Good choice.

• This one is becoming more popular all the time.  I really don't like the nickname Fin (reminds me of fish), but it's up to you.  It does sound really trendy.
  • DH and I like Finn for #2, but we are considering not using it because it is actually really growing in popularity.
  • I love it. I'm a huge fan of Irish names.
  • I love Finnian spelled with two ns as well, and Finn as a nickname. Pick whatever you want for your kid and don't let anyone else give you flack for it :)
  • I really like Fin, but for some reason Finian looks misspelled to me.
  • imagesmismar:
    It sounds off to me.? Like it's missing the G in Finnegan.

I agree. ?I'm not a fan of naming a baby to just use a nickname. ?Name him Fin if you want to call him Fin. ?They'll always be correcting people about what they should be called.?

However, if you like it then go for it. ?You aren't going to be able to please everyone.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love it. Although our little boy will probably be Max, if DD was a boy, she would have been Griffin, or Finn. Max's middle name may be Finn.

However, I would spell it with two ns Finnian.

BTW, no one else gets a say in what you name your child. (It's hard enough to have two people agree on a name.)

Samantha Skye - Aug 30, 2006 AND Maxwell Griffin - April 14, 2009
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for the input!  We have been going back and forth on the spelling with one 'n' or two, so those comments were very helpful. 

Believe me, if there's ever a second baby for us, there is no way I am telling anyone in either of our families what name we're planning on.  I have learned my lesson - and shared that lesson with all my other expecting friends :-). 

Re: use of nickname - my feelings are that if he wants to go by a full name as an adult, he should have the option to do so.  And I don't want anyone to think we're big Mark Twain fans or something by just naming him "Finn". 

• imageBuffalogal:

Thanks for the input!  We have been going back and forth on the spelling with one 'n' or two, so those comments were very helpful. 

Believe me, if there's ever a second baby for us, there is no way I am telling anyone in either of our families what name we're planning on.  I have learned my lesson - and shared that lesson with all my other expecting friends :-). 

Re: use of nickname - my feelings are that if he wants to go by a full name as an adult, he should have the option to do so.  And I don't want anyone to think we're big Mark Twain fans or something by just naming him "Finn". 

ITA.  I actually don't like truncated names because they can sound good for a child and immature for an adult.

Personally, I like Finn.  I married into an Irish family and love Irish names.  My DS has one that is far less common and frankly a bit weird to anyone not familiar with Gaelic names, but it's a family name so it has meaning.  As a result, I don't really care what anyone thinks of it. Wink

• I like the name, but I think everyone and their brother is trying to have a Finn right now.
  • I'm not a fan of it... BUT - I think that it is a cute name! :)

• imageis_it_over_yet?:
    imageBuffalogal:

Thanks for the input!  We have been going back and forth on the spelling with one 'n' or two, so those comments were very helpful. 

ITA.  I actually don't like truncated names because they can sound good for a child and immature for an adult.

Personally, I like Finn.  I married into an Irish family and love Irish names.  My DS has one that is far less common and frankly a bit weird to anyone not familiar with Gaelic names, but it's a family name so it has meaning.  As a result, I don't really care what anyone thinks of it. Wink

Thanks!  I should also add that we arrived at this name because DH was doing family tree research and found the name Phineas, which we both liked but because of our last name didn't want to use a first name ending in "S".  So DH found the variant Finian and here we are. 

I didn't realize anyone would think of this as a "trendy" name though ... I don't know any babies/children with any variation of this name.  So the responses here have been really interesting for me to read. 

• Finian is an incorrect spelling of the name. Finnian nn Finn would be great.
  • imageMrsTeague:
    Finian is an incorrect spelling of the name. Finnian nn Finn would be great.

Actually, it's not at all incorrect.  It can be spelled either way.  I.E. the Irish Saint Finian, only 1 "n" (and probably the one of the first "famous" people with this name - since he's from the Middle Ages); and the film "Finian's Rainbow" - also only one "n".  I'm kind of a research nerd - I check these things out :-). 

• imageBuffalogal:

imageMrsTeague:
    Finian is an incorrect spelling of the name. Finnian nn Finn would be great.

Actually, it's not at all incorrect.  It can be spelled either way.  I.E. the Irish Saint Finian, only 1 "n" (and probably the one of the first "famous" people with this name - since he's from the Middle Ages); and the film "Finian's Rainbow" - also only one "n".  I'm kind of a research nerd - I check these things out :-). 

I think it should be that it is more common to have it with 2 n's and not 1. As for everyone saying how popular Finn is, I can say that I know 2 other people with Finn's besides us and one is Finnegan, one is Finch and ours is Finlay. It is not as popular as people think.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"