October 2013 Moms

Old fashioned beliefs maybe?

Ycu2013Ycu2013 member
edited August 2013 in October 2013 Moms
So with both of my pregnancies, as soon as I know I'm pregnant or trying to conceive...I don't dye my hair, use any kind of chemicals or get acrylics on my nails. The last couple of weeks before the baby is due, I do get acrylics (very very short and smooth) just because my nails look like ass and I see it as a maybe treat? and I don't want my hands looking terrible in baby pics. I have several close up shots of DS and our hands as a newborn. I never scratched my baby and plan to do it again. What have you ladies done? Gave you restricted your selves from all cosmetic chemicals or have you kept on with your normal stuff??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Old fashioned beliefs maybe?

• I got my hair highlighted last week.  Not with bleach, just a lighter color.. My salon is not small so I feel like air flow is fine...  I also get pedicures, a lot.  How did you do with your baby and acrylics?  Just curious, I feel like I would totally scratch by accident.
  • Loading the player...
  • I still paint my nails too and we were hoping for a baby sloth, but that didn't happen...SMH
  • I've never been one to treat myself girly, but I love that you want your nails done for the pictures lol.  My BF wants to video tape the birth ha ha so for me, it will be my hair.  I will be packing my straightener :)

• @carawasa- I actually did very well with them, no scratches on babe. I get them super short and a rounded square look. I just get enough length so that it doesn't look like I have nubs! :-P
  • Oh yea.. I drink coffee too.
  • Never died my hair so that doesn't pertain to me, but do get mani/pedi's on a pretty regular basis. I also have not changed my makeup, and still use my face wash since I've been dealing with acne.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • shelley1002shelley1002 member
    edited August 2013
    I cut back on caffeine (not eliminated, just don't go to Starbucks and get a venti every morning.  If I get caffeine I get a grande or I order decaf).  I also stopped eating gorgonzola, feta, brie, and bleu cheese.  I know most of it is pasteurized but my OB said to avoid them anyway so I do.  I do not eat those cheese often so that is not a big deal.

For cosmetics, I did not change a thing.

ETA:  I stopped drinking alcohol too.  Again not a big deal to do.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• HFrizzle said:
    Nope! I've dyed my hair, had my nails done, drink caffeine when I feel like it, had sushi, indulge in what ever sounds good, take hot baths, etc.

This exactly! lol  

Lilypie - (x1UE)                                               

photo f5b87909-fb54-49d9-91f2-1c11ca11c6c6_zpsb539db06.jpg 

• If I go to Starbucks, I ask for half-caff.  That's about all I've changed.   

• I've painted my nails and got highlights. I plan on dying it, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also got a spray tan when I was around 4 weeks, but I didn't know I was pregnant yet. Clearly it worked out okay, although I probably wouldn't do that now. I do use the gradual tanning lotion on my legs though.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't really do all of that stuff anyway so it's never been a big deal for me. I did get a shellac manicure earlier this pregnancy, and I treated myself and my BFF to pedicures before she PCSd to GA. I do still get my hair relaxed maybe every 4-6 weeks, but that's only because my mom makes a fuss about keeping my hair up (she's a cosmetologist).

imageLilypie - (jv05)
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • i don't dye my hair or get my nails done regularly, don't drink coffee and never drank alcohol much. i don't generally eat raw sushi. i bf my daughter still, who has a cow's milk allergy, and i can't (and couldn't have) soft cheese.

the only changes i really make are no raw-oysters, and i get my sandwich toasted at subway. other than that, life hasn't changed for me. i'll still eat raw sushi on occasion, or sandwich meat if presented in a safe manner.

• Amjoy25 said:

The only thing I've given up is booze...in large amounts; I still have a glass of wine here and there. Too many restrictions is never a good idea IMO. (And I don't dye my hair, so I haven't done that.)

Women have been having babies for billions of years...

F-man! And here I thought having a baby was the new 2013 thaaang! Hehehe ;-)

• @Weljadraak- I may or may not have done my makeup and straightened my hair before I headed to the hospital. I was in labor for 26 hours, but was still TRYING to look gooood! :-|
  • HFrizzle said:

Nope! I've dyed my hair, had my nails done, drink caffeine when I feel like it, had sushi, indulge in what ever sounds good, take hot baths, etc.

All of this except I haven't had my nails done yet

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • I switched to ammonia free hair dye (and it was wonderful because it actually is better on my hair - thanks baby!).  I limited caffeine in the first trimester - but was also sick as a dog so I didn't want it anyway, now I indulge if I want.  

Other than that everything is pretty much the same.  I have painted while preggers too, I just use low or zero VOC paint and keep the area ventilated.  I probably get exposed to more crap at work than at home (hospital RN) so I don't worry too much!

• Haha acrylics

• I don't do nails. I never have. My autistic child is to obsessed with my hands when I have painted my nails.

As far as hair, I am waiting on a family picture before I color my hair. I am thinking green streaks for amusement and because I like green.
    DS1 - 6/07
    DS2 - 8/08
    DS3- 9/09
    DD1 - 11/11
    DD2 - 10/13
    DD3 - Csection Scheduled November 29th
  • I avoid many chemicals anyway, but I have had sushi.once and lunch meat a.few times (not even reheated, shocker). I try to adhere to the recommendations but wont make myself crazy over it.
  • I pretty much think that if something is not good for you when you're pregnant it's not really great to do anytime so the things I do don't change tremendously when I'm pregnant. Getting my nails done is a great pregnancy treat. I love that my nails look pretty even when I feel totally gross.

But, I don't wear high heels when I'm pregnant. I wore them in 1st tri and really only made it a few weeks. I was in too much RLP pain and at this point I'd just topple over. I'm honestly amazed when I see pregnant women who are able to.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • I get monthly manicures and pedicures in a well vented salon. I skip the polish just get shaping and buffing on my natural nail, I live for the hand and foot massages. I have one cup of coffee on most days. On Fridays I have a glass of champagne with cheese, strawberries and peaches. I love champagne Friday and it gives me a weekly celebration to look forward to. 
    November: Doing my own thing

• I still paint my nails at home. Never been one for manis and pedis very often anyway. I haven't dyed my hair but haven't done that in over a year anyway. Probably will after baby gets here for the holidays:). I cut out alcohol. I never had much caffeine anyways so that wasn't a big deal to cut out and I just get my sandwiches heated up at subway. Don't like sushi so that's not a problem. Other than that not much has changed
  • RedZee said:
    I pretty much think that if something is not good for you when you're pregnant it's not really great to do anytime so the things I do don't change tremendously when I'm pregnant. Getting my nails done is a great pregnancy treat. I love that my nails look pretty even when I feel totally gross.

But, I don't wear high heels when I'm pregnant. I wore them in 1st tri and really only made it a few weeks. I was in too much RLP pain and at this point I'd just topple over. I'm honestly amazed when I see pregnant women who are able to.

I agree. How do those women wear heals? I wear my kitten heals sometimes and still feel like I'll fall over! As for restrictions? Not much has changed. I don't do most of this stuff normally, so it's no big deal. I've been "bad" a few times and had a cold sandwich or soft cheese. And I'm planning on coloring my hair in a few weeks. I think as long as it's not crazy amounts of "breaking the rules" it will be fine. But that could be me justifying my actions too.
  • I gave up lunch meat, hot dogs, and large amounts of caffeine. I still have an unsweetened iced tea from McDonalds 1-2x a week. I don't ever really get a mani/pedi but I will probably be getting both in September for my brothers wedding. I don't like sushi and I wasn't much of an alcohol drinker to begin with so that hasn't changed for me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    photo ae9d6512-aa3f-4ee3-9605-e9c1b685f0eb_zps385c8147.jpg
  • RedZee said:

I agree. How do those women wear heals? I wear my kitten heals sometimes and still feel like I'll fall over!
    I can't really wear heels when I'm not pregnant so there's no way in hell I'd attempt them while pregnant.

imageLilypie - (jv05)
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • RedZee said:

I agree. How do those women wear heals? I wear my kitten heals sometimes and still feel like I'll fall over!
    I can't really wear heels when I'm not pregnant so there's no way in hell I'd attempt them while pregnant.
    It's funny too 'cause I feel like for almost every restriction, there's evidence that it's not really a big deal. (American women are told not to eat sushi but Japanese women do all the time.) Not wearing heels was my one hard and fast pregnancy restriction and that doesn't even apply.

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • I gave up pretty much everything. There is really nothing that is so important to me that it negatively effects my life to go without for nine months.  Caffeine was hard to kick, but I don't really mind anymore.
  • I have a couple pairs of wedge sandals that are pretty high & I'm still wearing them. With my maxi dresses, I have to because I'm too short to wear them with flats. I'd probably wear heels too if my foot wasn't swollen all the time. I used to wear them pretty much daily, so they don't bother me.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Really?? I am still wearing like 5 inch heels and loving it. I feel so much more comfortable in those than in flats. They make me feel sexy, which is hard when I am this huge. Plus they actually place my back in a good position, so I always feel like they help keep me aligned.
    It is impossible for heels to promote good posture.
  • Really?? I am still wearing like 5 inch heels and loving it. I feel so much more comfortable in those than in flats. They make me feel sexy, which is hard when I am this huge. Plus they actually place my back in a good position, so I always feel like they help keep me aligned.
    Yep. I am not a heels person, but I have hip problems and osteoarthritis so that probably has a lot to do with it. Oh well. I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything.

imageLilypie - (jv05)
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • huntjulhuntjul member
    edited August 2013
    During this pregnancy I may or may not have eaten goat cheese and cold lunch meat, drank wine and lemonade with artificial sweeteners, ridden horses and a scooter, and swam with sharks. So it probably doesn't matter that I've shunned acrylic nails, high heels, and hair dye since being a womanly-woman isn't part of my persona anyway. And I disagree that there is any way that heels help your back, knees, or posture. Not possible!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • I don't see a problem with heels of any size while pregnant. If you're comfortable in them, then work it! She could slip and fall in flats. 5" isn't going make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• dh13 said:

Dyed my hair 2 times already, paint my nails on the reg, and still use all the same stuff.

I'm hoping for a unicorn baby.
    So, that's how I get myself a unicorn!
     BFP #1: 3.2.13 | EDD: 10.21.13 | Born: 10.25.13
     BFP #2: 9.9.14 | EDD 5.13.15 | MC: 9.24.14
    BFP #3: 1.4.15 | EDD 8.23.15
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I get highlights every 5 weeks like clock work. Haven't skipped a beat. And I drink coffee. Every day.
  • KerCo51KerCo51 member
    edited August 2013
    I have been a lot more strict than I would have expected.  I haven't dyed my hair since January.  (I found out that I have grays that I didn't even know about)  I paint my nails, but no acrylics.  No lunch meat and I keep my caffeine to one cup of coffee a day.  I bought all natural house cleaners.  Now that I am nearing the end, I have had small amounts of wine and I plan to dye my hair next week.  I haven't worn heels at all, but I am extremely accident prone and want to be careful.

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• I have gone for my regular hair/highlight appointments as well as my manicures/pedicures.

I eat what I like, and that does include sushi. Was never really a lunch meat person, so I've not had any of that while pregnant.

I did change my face wash to the Belli product, but all other toiletries are the same.
  • I have to ask... What are "kitten heels?"
  • Shedna said:
    I have to ask... What are "kitten heels?"
    Exactly what you're thinking.

VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"