Multiples

When did you find out you were having twins?

Just curious. Was it your early bloodwork and HCG levels were high? Not until a US? Before DD#1 I miscarried twins, I'm older and my symptoms are magnified with this pregnancy so far. I know all pregnancies are different but I'm just curious.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: When did you find out you were having twins?

• MrsCali_BrideMrsCali_Bride member
    edited August 2013
    My twins were spontaneous and we weren't doing any treatments so I didn't have any blood draws until after my first appt. I found out at my first appt. at 8w2d when my OB did a dating u/s and discovered two little babies hanging out in there. Definitely not something that we ever expected.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • We were doing fertility treatments so we knew all along that there was a 10 percent chance of multiples. My levels were high at 14 days post IUI/ovulation (hcg 357, progesterone 105, estradiol 712), so the nurse told me she thought there would be more than one in there when she called with the results. The twins were not confirmed until our first ultrasound at 7 weeks though.
    BFP #1 on 12/15/11 but missed m/c with d&c on 2/1/12.
    BFP #2 on 5/1/13 = boy/girl TWINS with EDD of 1/3/14 but expected no later than 12/20/13.
  • Loading the player...
  • At our second ultrasound. Ours were also a surprise, so I didn't have HCG drawn early on that could have been a sign. Our first US saw just one, then the second one around 7 weeks had two super healthy babies! 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • My HCG were too low for the EDD based off my LMP so I was sent for an u/s at our guessed 9wk mark. Turns out I had twins and was 6.5wks instead.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • We also found out at our 2nd ultrasound. Ours are spontaneous but I had a feeling it was twins. The first ultrasound was too early, at 16 dpo, but my HCG came back at 1,825. 4 days later it was 8,255. Ultrasound at 5 weeks 6 days showed two sacs, fetal poles, yolk sacs, and heartbeats.

One reason, of many, that HCG levels are not a good indicator is due to having conception dates off. I was charting my temp and taking OPKs. I know that ovulation happened within a 24 hour window. But I've spent a year charting my temp and I know how my body works. If your conception dates are off by even 1 or 2 days it can make your numbers seem high.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I found out at 6w5d. I went to see my doc for early bleeding. The NP did an ultrasound and said that my gestational sac was empty and might not be inside the uterus. She said I had likely miscarried and sent me to an imaging center to check for an ectopic. So, it was a pretty big shock when the next day I went from thinking I had no babies to seeing two little heartbeats. This is my first pregnancy and we only tried for a month or 2 so it was definitely unexpected!
    Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • We found out at our sequential screening 11.5 weeks. It was a total shock.
  • I found out at 5w6d my betas are in my siggy - and they pretty much match the average twin numbers on betabase. 
     TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• Mrs.GuzMrs.Guz member
    edited August 2013
    I found out at jut over 6weeks. I had an ultrasound due to a miscarriage 3 months before. They were spontaneous and a huge surprise.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • we had done IVF and transferred 3 so we knew there was a good chance of multiples.  HOWEVER, we totally did not expect only 1 to stick and then split into id twins.  THAT was a huge surprise!  beta's were slightly on the higher side but not definitive by any means.  190 for first one and 363 2 days later.  we found out it was twins at our u/s at 6w2d. 
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • We found out at 6 weeks 4 days when I had my first ultrasound. We knew there was a chance because we transferred two embryos. My beta levels are in my siggy.
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • We found out during a dating ultrasound at 7weeks.  It was totally spontaneous and unexpected!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • We found out at 7 weeks during an US due to bleeding. Definitely a big surprise!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Spontaneous twins here. Found out at 10w6d at our routine dating u/s. I had one beta drawn at 4 weeks to confirm and to check progesterone because of a previous m/c. No one suspected anything.
  • At our first ultrasound at 5w5d at RE's office.  We had done Follistim/IUI and I'm on Lovenox, which is why we had such an early scan.  It might sound cliché, but I just knew that this time it worked and that I'd be pregnant with twins.  I actually wasn't shocked when the doctor saw both sacs!

Jenny-34, DH-39, Furdog-Nissa
    TTC#1 since Aug '05, CP: 10/05, 8/12; BO: 1/13;
    IUI #8: BFP, beta 1, 6/4/13: 267, beta 2, 6/6/13: 765; First US 6/18/13-Twins!!!
    Due February 13, 2014 with two BOYS! 
    Henry Leo, 4# 13oz, 18.75 inches and Samuel Thomas, 6#, 18.5 inches arrived via c-section January 30th!  

• I found out at my 20 week anatomy scan, which was my first ultrasound. Surprise!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • megs2011megs2011 member
    edited August 2013

At my 10 week dating u/s was a "here's baby, and the funny thing is, if I move the wand over here, there's another baby" *jaw hits the floor*

ETA: Spontaneous twins here 

• katieg314 said:
    I found out at 6w5d. I went to see my doc for early bleeding. The NP did an ultrasound and said that my gestational sac was empty and might not be inside the uterus. She said I had likely miscarried and sent me to an imaging center to check for an ectopic. So, it was a pretty big shock when the next day I went from thinking I had no babies to seeing two little heartbeats. This is my first pregnancy and we only tried for a month or 2 so it was definitely unexpected!
    I had such a similar experience - the first US showed an empty sac. I went in two weeks later thinking that they would find, again, just an empty sac that was refusing to miscarry...instead they found a heart beat and all was happy and good. Then as the doc was finishing the ultrasound, he swiped quickly over baby #2 - no one said anything for a good 30 seconds - finally my husband said "um..." and I said "oh shit" and dr started the US again for surprise baby #2. 
    ********************************************************************************************

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • RynleighRynleigh member
    edited August 2013
    6w2d/6w4d (James was two days ahead of Simon in growth) - it was a dating scan to find out how far along we were because I'd had very irregular cycles. I knew when I conceived because I was using LH strips, and we had a three day surge - but the doc insisted on the ultrasound anyway since my last cycle was almost two months earlier.
    image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• 18 week anatomy scan. Surprise!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 21C
  • Ultrasound. My doctor said its the only way to know (you know... minus the whole pushing out two babies aspect)
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • My twins are spontaneous and we found out at a dating u/s at 7 weeks and change.

The u/s was a surprise since I was sure of my LMP.

• I was 6w4d. Dr does scans to confirm pregnancies and boom, twins!
  • I think around 6-8 weeks. My betas were really high and I was soo sick. Twins run in my family, so I knew I had increased chances and was suspicious early on (that or worried about a molar pregnancy).
  • We found out at just over 12 weeks when we had an ultrasound. Totally shocked!
  • at our 7w u/s. I have a video of it. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3Ureov15U
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • I found out at my 20 week anatomy scan, which was my first ultrasound. Surprise!
    Same!
    J - 9/6/09 L and A - 1/17/12
  • I had bleeding early on so I had HCG levels early and they were actually all low, to the point where the nurses kept saying "we'll have to see what happens" and made me think it might not be a viable pregnancy. Due to the low HCG levels and continued spotting I have an u/s at 6 weeks and they saw two heartbeats. They scheduled another u/s for 8 weeks and the paperwork in my chart said "to rule out twins" and they were still going strong!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did IUI.  My HCG levels were normal but my progesterone was oddly high for me (it usually ran low).  We found out by ultrasound at 7 weeks

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• My HCG levels were pretty high but I didn't put much stock in them due to reasons listed above. They were still in range of a singleton.

I did have an early ultrasound at 5w4d and saw two sacs, two blobs and they found both heartbeats. The thick lining between the two was easy to see but man, I was in SHOCK!!! No IF treatments for these kiddos!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cleo421Cleo421 member
    edited August 2013
    We found out at our 5w2d u/s. We knew we were pg due to HPT, but OB wanted to confirm it via u/s before he would write us a letter to get out of our planned ski trip. No babies were visible yet, but we saw two gestational sacs :)
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Snugly AelSnugly Ael member
    edited August 2013
    We found out at our 9 week ultrasound - two sacs. It was pretty surprising because I had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks and we saw only one sac. :) Ours are spontaneous and they are our first.
  • Like a few others, we also found out at the 20 week anatomy scan!

• 10 weeks. I asked for an early ultrasound since I have spontaneous twins and triplets in my family.
    Birthday
  • It was around 8-10 weeks at out appointment to confirm pregnancy. TOTAL surprise!! DH & I brought DS1&2 (thought it'd be a cute way for them to find out) We were watching the screen & there was obviously two sachs, we look at each other & go "is that what we think it is?" All we could do was laugh, we were completely shocked!

The funny thing is I just had a feeling that something was different this time around & thought it could be twins, but I never said anything to anyone. And right before our tech started the scan she made a joke that we'd see two babies!
  • 6w,5d at an u/s
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

• 7 weeks at our "dating" u/s....the tech said "There's two babies in there!" and I nearly fell off the table!
  • I asked for a dating u/s at my first midwife appointment because we'd conceived on my second cycle postpartum. I was still bfing at the time and things were a little whack. I was pretty sure I had my dates right (I did!) but wanted to be sure. 

Meanwhile my midwife told me I was measuring 3 weeks ahead and asked if I was
    sure I'd had my LMP when I said I did? (Um, yes ...?) 

So yes ... we found out at 14 weeks. But between the midwife's comment and the fact I'd felt movement at 11 weeks, I'd started to suspect there might be more than one in there! :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker

image image image
  • At my viability ultrasound at 7w5d. I had a miscarriage the month before so they wanted to make sure this pregnancy was viable. We didn't see Baby B at first, then after measuring Baby A I jokingly said "so just one in there?" and the ultrasound tech moved the wand and gasped. We thought she was joking but there was Baby B, heart beating away.

Ours were also spontaneous. I did have a dream about two weeks earlier that I peed on a digital test and it said "Twins".

• pea-kay said:
    at our 7w u/s. I have a video of it. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3Ureov15U
    WOW. You are so calm during that video. I was a FREAKING MESS when we first saw two. I love the end when you say "is this normal?" ha ha. 

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board