Military Families

Supplemental Insurance?

Hi Ladies! Those of you with Tricare Standard, do you have supplemental insurance? Do you recommend it? A few people have recommended it recently and it looks like it would cost us about $24/month, which seems pretty reasonable. Worth it? (I have an 11 month old and we're planning on having another baby soon)

Re: Supplemental Insurance?

• No I don't.  Standard doesn't really cost us that much.  I'm not even sure it works out to $24 a month.  If it got to the point where the Standard cost sharing became a financial burden I would switch to Prime rather than spend money on another insurance.  
  • We don't supplement either.  It really hasn't cost us much money at all.  I pay a $20 co-pay for doctor visits.  With 4 kids, we just stagger their appointments.  The only thing we have supplemented is our dental because of braces for our older children.  The $20 extra a month has saved us over $5k.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok, thanks, guys! I feel like I've gotten a bunch of bills since my daughter was born...$100 here, $50 there...all towards the deductible, I guess, so I thought I'd ask. Sounds like we should just stick with Standard. thanks!
  • I would talk to Tricare and the doctor's billing office to see why you are being charged for things.  I never pay for more than the copay when things are medically necessary.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Any thing that I have ever heard is that if you buy other insurance TRICARE becomes the supplemental insurance, the other insurance will pay first and then it gets billed to TRICARE.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"