Working Moms
Options

BM oz

DD ate 20 oz while I was at work today.  From 7a to 530p.  She last ate at 430 so I just fed her even though she didn't eat much and will pump since I only pumped 16 today so far.  So let's hope I can get four more.

Is 20 oz a lot?  I am just starting to go back to work and it's a long day, maybe DD just ate as a comfort measure and it will get better as time goes by?  WDYT?

Re: BM oz

• Options
    That does seem like a lot...but every kid is different of course. Was she actually drinking all of it and they weren't just tossing the unused portions?  My DD usually only drank about 12-16, but I was only gone from 8:30 to 5:30.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That seems like a lot for her age. My son has never taken more than 18 ounces in a day at daycare and he is older. Are you sure they gave her that much, or did they have to throw some out?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you.  I'm pretty sure she actually drank all those oz which I thought was a lot.  I will check just to be sure tomorrow though.  I hope it gets better so I can keep up!

• Options
    WOW. My DD only ate about 9-10 ounces of BM when we were strictly using BM. If she takes formula, she drinks a lot more.
  • Options
    it IS a lot, but it's also possible - my DD is a milk monster!  i went back to work when she was 10 weeks old and she routinely drank anywhere from 10-20 oz while i was gone - and that was between 7am-12:30pm - give it a couple of days and see how much she eats - and definitely make sure they're not throwing any out!
  • Options
    I would definitely check to be sure they are using all of it.  I usually sent 2-3 ounce bottles to make sure there was as little waste as possible.
  • Options
    Could be possible, since each baby is different.  But I have found that often times daycare employees just aren't as familiar with BM and try to feed as much BM as they would formula.  One time, they warmed an 8 ounce bottle for my daughter!  I got there to pick her up while they were feeding her, and I noticed that while she took it all . . . she definitely could have gotten by with less.  The last few ounces that she took were only b/c they were there.  So, I have since asked them to feed 4-5 ounces and then warm more if necessary.
  • Options

20 oz seems like a lot to me, too.  I've heard that some babies drink a lot during their first days of daycare for comfort. 

I leave 14-15 oz for my DD and she drinks between 12-14 oz.

• Options

My DS is drinking 20 oz between 9:30 and 6:30. He has 4 feedings with 5 oz in each bottle. I have also started to up the ounces since he always finishes the bottle and was hpoing he would drop a feeding.

Well, Now that I am back at work he is still eating the 20 oz. plus feeding 4 times at night. I am calling pediatrician today. Maybe it is time to start solids. This post convinced me that he is eating too much. 

• Options
    That seems like a lot - I would try smaller bottles or spreading them out- I think you might have trouble keeping up with 20 ozs a day.  At 12 weeks (once we got him to take the bottle) Billy was only taking in 12 ozs from 8:00 am to 5:30.  I would nurse him right before school and as soon as I got home.  Nursing is better for your supply and a lot more fun than pumping.  How big are her bottles?  Billy was only at 3 oz bottles at that age.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It may not be a lot for her, and it may go up and down.  Kellymom.com says they eat between 19 and 30 ounces per day up to 6 months old, with the average baby eating about 25 ounces per day.  (Total, though, not work day.)  Does she nurse several times at home?

DS usually eats 16 ounces between 8 am and 5 pm and sometimes he does eat 20 ounces and sometimes as few as 12 ounces.  He takes 4 ounce bottles right now and usually finishes them.

I usually pump between 16 and 20 ounces (although my supply has been in a slump the last week or so).

Not to scare you, but one of the other babies in my daycare was eating 28 ounces per workday.  Now that is a lot!

Just go with it for right now and see if this is her usual, and like pp said, make sure the DCPs aren't wasting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"