High-Risk Pregnancy

Fetal Echocardiogram

Any experiences? I know they said it will take a while...around 90 min but will they only look at the heart? Will I be able to see her size and other things? This is just precautionary because of a medicine I am taking. But I still have some anxiety over it. I'll be there tomorrow at 9 am. I'll let you all know how it went for those who are also going to have one. 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Fetal Echocardiogram

• Hi there!  The ultrasound itself took about 2.5 hours to get all three of my squirmy little beans.  In my particular case, I was with my normal MFMs office and they always do growth measurements, so they also got sizes etc.  The rest of it was just super close ups of the various parts of the heart, veins and arteries, looking for holes where they should/shouldn't be and blood flow through all of it.  Just be sure to let them know if you start getting woozy - they did the entire second half of mine on my side just to make me more comfortable (and that's the easiest way to get to my baby b anyways).  The tech also took breaks.

I know that a lot of places the ultrasound techs aren't allowed to talk, but in my office, my techs were happy to explain what they were looking at and why, how the anatomy develops, etc.  So my husband and I found it really interesting! 

Thinking positive thoughts for you and enjoy getting a nice, long, look at your little one!
  • Thank you ladies :) I am trying to be excited about it and not worried. I'm in Hawaii so I still have a few hours until my appt. It's being done by my mfm office just a dr. I've not met. 

• Loading the player...
  • It went great! Baby girl is absolutely healthy and heart has no issues. HUGE sigh of relief. Since she is a single baby, the u/s did not take nearly as long as I had expected. They took measurements first to see how big she has gotten. She is currently 1 lb 5 oz at 22 weeks. So she is a little bigger than "average" but so weren't my first two. It was really interesting to see the different structures of the heart and to see and hear the blood pumping through. I even got a 3D video and pic of her as a surprise. I wasn't expecting that! Thank you all so very much for your kind words and thoughts :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"