May 2013 Moms
Options

Tylenol vs Motrin

LO has her 2 month appt and shots this afternoon. I have a bottle of infants Motrin on hand, but not Tylenol, which is what everyone seems to be using if needed. Obviously I will ask the pedi what he recommends, but I'm just curious what other people have been told. Is there a reason that no one seems to be using Motrin?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Tylenol vs Motrin

• Options
    mommatotwo2mommatotwo2 member
    edited August 2013
    I'm not entirely sure- our go to is always Tylenol, because DD1 has only one kidney (birth defect/surgery...long story) and Motrin and any other non-steroid anti inflammatorys (NSAIDS) are hard on the kidneys. Tylenol is not hard on the kidneys. It can be hard on the liver, when given in excess. Our pediatrician recommends Tylenol, but for high fevers he said we can use Motrin, short term.

Edited to add: That motrin for high fevers thing was for DD1, as a 5 year old. I have never asked him about motrin for DD2 because I didn't plan to use it. The recommendation others have heard about waiting until 6 months rings a bell.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can't use Motrin til LO is 6 months old.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Only Tylenol until 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    Only Tylenol until 6 months old.  Motrin is cleared by the kidneys and is too much for LO's inefficient kidneys.  
  • Options
    I have never heard that about Motrin. Thanks ladies! Looks like I'll be stopping to get some Tylenol on the way to her appointment!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wjvwjv member
    Tylenol until 6 months, but I found that once I could give my older son Motrin/Advil it worked so much better! I was told to use it instead by a friend who is a pediatric nurse.  Also, my older son has a medical condition that makes him susceptible to seizures, so I was told by his neurologist to give him Motrin/Advil immediately if I think he has a fever.
    Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    wjv said:
    Tylenol until 6 months, but I found that once I could give my older son Motrin/Advil it worked so much better! I was told to use it instead by a friend who is a pediatric nurse.  Also, my older son has a medical condition that makes him susceptible to seizures, so I was told by his neurologist to give him Motrin/Advil immediately if I think he has a fever.

This. My son responds twice as well to advil than tylenol. But we will use tylenol until we can use advil.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"