July 2013 Moms
Options

Big Boobed Breastfeeding

edited July 2013 in July 2013 Moms

I always thought that big boobs were going to be a good thing when it came to bfing but it's more of a hassle. It's really hard to find positions that I'm able to get a good latch, and comfortable enough for me to stay in for more than 5 mins. Not to mention how nearly impossible it is to bf in public without a fortress of pillows around me.

Any tips?

Re: Big Boobed Breastfeeding

• Options
    My BF book says football hold is good for big chested ladies. No experience though... GL!
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the football hold but it makes my nipples so sore. We couldn't get it to work even with the lactation consultant. I have no idea why.
  • Options
    RumbleLinaRumbleLina member
    edited July 2013
    Football hold and cross cradle hold were always the easiest for me but I always had to c-hold my breast while feeding as well anyways.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Football hold is good, and if you are having difficulty latching, the cross cradle hold let's you support your breast from the outside to get it in a good position. With my first I always had to think of making my boobie into a sandwich/hamburger (thats what my LC calld it) make it easier to latch. It gets so much better when your baby gets bigger! As far as nursing in public, what worked for me was nursing shirts and nursing in a ring sling (Maya wrap is what I have). In the beginning I used to latch DD in the wrap in a bathroom, then go out in public once I could check to make sure no one was getting an eyeful. Once we both got better at it, NIP was no problem, probably around 3-4 mos of age.
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I use the c hold so with NIP I don't have a free hand usually. At home the Boopy holds her and I hold my boob so I have one free hand. A rolled up birth cloth wedged underneath helps a little but otherwise my boob is suffocating DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I'm pretty large and football works the best with a pillow or boppy for support.
  • Options
    I'm a DD and I use the cross cradle hold. It works pretty well for us.

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

• Options
    I'm a 42FF (last time) and this time I will be an H/I when I get there (if not bigger). Cross cradle and a good blanket to cover the rest of my shoulder/breast that is exposed while out in public. Frankly, after a while I stopped giving a fuck in public. I had to feed my kid and yes my breasts are huge. I'm like, in a corner or some shit, you don't have to oggle me man. 

However, I know modesty can be an issue for some and there isn't anything wrong with that. A good cover (not for baby but the rest of you) and larger shirts can really help. Sometimes you will have a nip slip, but honestly you aren't trying to flash your breasts if it happens. Its not like you are having a peep show. 

So, I only ever had one person say something at a restaurant. I basically told her that I was doing my best and that her getting all up in my business really wasn't helping. In fact, she could hand me my cover that fell as I was trying to adjust it and that would be considerably more appreciated than her opening her big mouth. She got all huffy and walked away with a bunch of "I nevers". Fuck her. My kid was quiet and I could eat. My boob wasn't hanging out but it was somewhat visible. Whatthefuckever. Corner booth and her eyes were wandering anyway. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    How do you guys use a boppy for football hold? Can you lean against a chair or do you sit up and forward? I can't figure it out for the life of me!
    I hate the boppy. Its too pouffy. I use the Breast Friend or nothing at all. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

How do you guys use a boppy for football hold? Can you lean against a chair or do you sit up and forward? I can't figure it out for the life of me!

I hate the boppy. Its too pouffy. I use the Breast Friend or nothing at all. 

Totally agree. Nothing at all is the best IMO.
  • Options
    The boppy is way too pouffy for me, too...plus, with my bit o' extra girth these days I feel like it's suffocating me! My gargantuan boobs are an issue, too. All of the PPs have said it better than I could--just wanted to add that if you have flatter nipples like I do and big, globular boobs (think James and the Giant Peach being unaffected by the sharks), a little pre-feed pumping can help. Although it's incredibly annoying...pumping SUCKS!!! Pun intended. Oh, and the side-lying position is a lifesaver, not to mention incredibly relaxing--as opposed to being hunched over like Quasimodo. Good luck!!
  • Options
    Crashing from September. Regardless of the position, I have always had to support my breast with the hand on that side, just back from the areola some. My babies haven't been able to keep a latch otherwise.  I prefer the cradle hold position for the baby and always need a pillow or boppy, since I really can't cradle hold them and be hands free. I've tried! I haven't tried however, having a nursing bra that encloses more of my breast in the part that remains. Usually the whole cup flips down on the kind I've had, without a layer underneath that perhaps supports the breast some.
  • Options
    I'm no expert at bfing but I have Fs and at home do football hold bit in public I do cross cradle and honestly I don't care if people get an eyefull, although it does make DH uncomfortable of I don't YRY to covrr the boob, he gets all po'd at people who stare.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Excuse the typos please nursing and mobile ...

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I have to be leaned back in my recliner for football hold, I just wrap the boppy around my waist, and the end supports my arm/his upper back, and his but hangs off of it. I bring him up to my boob, so his body is vertical.
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I sit in a recliner at home with my knees bent. I do the cross cradle but support the other side with the c hold but I lean his head on my legs so that I have one hand free. I don't have advice for out in public bc I've never tried.
  • Options
    I can only do cross cradle and yeah I have to have a pillow, I ball up her blanket in public. I also have to hold my boob the whole time, which was awful when it took an hour but now it's only 20/30 minutes so it's better!! The top of my boob wants to suffocate her so bad!
  • Options
    I am now a DD! Yikes! I only do the cross hold and my nurse told me to scissor my breast so she can breathe. Working well!
    m/c #1 6/30/05 m/c #2 9/18/06 m/c #3 9/18/08 BFP 10/21/12....EDD 7/6/13....Praying this is my sticky baby. Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am a DD, and my left boob is significantly larger than my right. I use football hold for left side, and cross cradle for right. Like PPs said, I have to use squish my boobs like a hamburger to get him to latch, and if I'm engorged and can't squish...it basically have to just hang my breast and let my nipple and areola go in his mouth, and let him suck until I can squish and give him a better hold.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm in a size I now, and you're right, breastfeeding with big boobs is tough! The football hold works well for us, as well as the side lying position in bed, and sometimes the cross cradle... But we do the football hold 75% of the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"