Trying to Get Pregnant

NTTGPR: Sick Puppy...

2»

Re: NTTGPR: Sick Puppy...

• Evening update (if anyone cares, if you don't feel free to tell me to put a sock in it): Her temp has stayed steady at about 103.5 all day toady which is still about a degree above the acceptable high end. I'm hoping that the continued meds and fluids overnight will somehow make a difference...

We're scheduled to meet with the internal medicine doc at 1 tomorrow afternoon and re-assess where she's at and what we're going to do.

Basically at this point we can't afford to keep her in a vet's care anymore and will be bringing her home, whether she's better or not. If her temp is still elevated tomorrow then we will discuss the possibility of sending her home with a steroid injection. It's a risky move but if she isn't improved by tomorrow then our only real option left is to have her put down to end her suffering. 

There's a chance that it's an autoimmune disease causing all of this and if that truly is the case then she'll respond to steroids and get better. If it really is an infection then the steroids will likely kill her. I might talk about possibly holding off on steroids for a few days and giving her more oral antibiotics and maybe home IV fluids? Seeing if she just needs longer on the antibiotics...

I'm really not sure. It sounds like my parents might want to try and help out a little too (they call her their grand-puppy) so maybe we'll be able to keep her there until Saturday and really give her all we can...or maybe they'll pay for the ultrasound and chest x-ray so we can fully rule out infection before giving her steroids...

This fucking blows...
    Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• I'm so so sorry about your pup!

I know it's a long shot, but was Keelin near any natural bodies of water recently where she could have eaten a live or dead fish? One of my dogs got really sick a few years ago with a high fever, not eating, and lethargic. I don't think the vet would have known what was wrong exactly (they probably would have guessed an infection of some kind), but bc I mentioned that she had found and tried to eat some gross fish parts at a lake we'd been to, they knew exactly what it was. I think it was called this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_poisoning_disease. Anyway, I don't know if there's anything like that where you live, but it was the first thing that came to my mind, so I thought I'd share in the off chance it could help.

Also, you've probably already considered this, but are there any "low cost" or "sliding scale" vet clinics in your area? We use one and the fees are much lower than your average vet. I totally understand the financial issues and having to balance cost with what's best for my pets. Could you see if any local animal shelters could help in this situation?

I'm sending lots of positive thoughts and well wishes your way!
  • Loading the player...
  • We don't live somewhere where she could get into fish or snails or salamanders like that. 

Our problem is we make way too much money for a sliding scale clinic because they don't take into account all the money we've already put into trying to fix her. I'm going to be calling my regular vet tomorrow morning to discuss whats happening and get their opinion on it. 
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched

• elizabethb3elizabethb3 member
    edited August 2013
    I hear you. The one we use doesn't consider your income, but I know a lot of them do. 

I've seen this actually work for someone I know who wanted people to give her money for nursing school. I thought it was kind of ridiculous, but she's accumulated over $3,000, and a lot of it was very small contributions. And I think your "cause" is way more noble, IMO. I know that I would much rather contribute to helping a sick puppy than to pay for someone's schooling just so they don't have to take out a loan.

ETA: I know that this won't solve any problems immediately, but maybe to help pay back those credit cards?
  • WillCMyInkWillCMyInk member
    edited August 2013
    I've actually thought about that...but I feel so low and horrible asking my friends, knowing that none of them are really in a good spot to help out either, I'd feel even worse taking it if we ended up putting her down...

ETA: Maybe if she makes it through this and her temp goes back down and we have another 2 weeks or so before she has a "relapse" (kinda like how it went down this time) I'll take that route. If I can make enough money for the diagnostic tests before she gets bad again maybe we'll know what needs to happen to fix it...

• I am so sorry to hear about your pup. One of my dogs was very sick and needed to have surgery as a puppy so I can imagine how difficult this must be for you. I really, really hope that she starts to improve by the morning. I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts.
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Thinking of you today. Hope your pup is on the mend.
  • This sounds like a nightmare, I'm so sorry you and your pup are going through all of this!  Sending good vibes to you and your pup, I really hope she starts to improve soon!!
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"