July 2012 Moms

Diaper Rash :(

My poor baby! We've never had one like this before... It's really hurting her and she's hysterical during diaper changes. She get's changed as soon as she poops (or I feel that she is wet), because Lord knows I can smell it from 2 rooms away, so she's never sitting in it, but she just poops SO MUCH! And it seems like it's really acidy... If that's even a thing you can know??? 

I'm putting diaper cream on her at each change (Arbonne), but she's still so miserable... Is there anything else I can or should be doing? I know people used to let them loll about without diapers when they were immobile lumps, but how does that work with a walker? She will pee ALL OVER my house... Is that just another one of the things no one tells you about when you become a parent?

Re: Diaper Rash :(

• KarmBKarmB member
    No wipes. They make lilah worse. We use a warm wash cloth.

• KarmBKarmB member
    Also I blow air on her before putting her diaper on which she think is funny

• Loading the player...
  • I know some brave laides let them go diaperless for a little bit. I am not that brave. I just used desitin max for a day and it cleared it up. It only happened when she was teething really bad for some reason. It was like super acidy. I put the desitin on with every diaper change and I just changed her as often as possible to keep her dry.

And try not to feel guilty. For some reason I felt like an asshole even though I did nothing wrong. I think its one of those parenting things people dont talk about.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Anna has had a terrible diaper rash for almost a month now. I used about 6 different diaper creams including Nystatin from the pedi because they thought it was yeast. For the past two weeks I've been using Bag Balm (it comes in a green tin in the first aid section) and it was cleared up in less than a day. It doesn't smell great - OK, it freakin stinks - but it has made a HUGE difference. I stopped using it for a few days and the rash came right back, so I'm back to using it. I wipe her tush and then use the new diaper to pat it dry, then apply the bag balm. Poor Ern.

• @karmb, I will definitely try the warm washcloth! Thanks! I'll try the blowing on her too and see if that makes her stop crying at all...

@nesenotes, seriously! I feel awful! And it seems like I'm hurting her more when I am trying to get her cleaned up and into a new diaper. Ugh, this is the pits.

• @manda+chase, while I don't love the idea of peeing... I am terrified of her pooping. I hadn't thought about yeast... I don't know how long diaper rashes typically last so I guess it is doesn't skedaddle with the tried and true fixes then I'll move onto that as a possibility? I have some cream left over from when I had a boob issue involving yeast. That stuff is like magic in a jar.

@alphahelix, I have bag balm! I will also give that a whirl!

• When K got it really bad a while back I cleaned his but in the sink after each poop. No wiping, just sprayed water on his bum. Once I stopped wiping, it was way better in just 24 hours.

• I hope it clears up soon! I've used the Butt Paste max and that helped for a bad rash. Is it possible it's yeast? Regular rash cream won't work on yeast, and can actually make it worse.
    This is what we use as well.  A couple of weeks ago LO got a rash that would not go away.  After treating it for 2 days with Butt paste it was worse.  We went to the pedi and it was a yeast diaper rash.  We got nystain and it cleared it up in one day.
  • Have you fed her anything particularly acidic that she's not used to? Taylor had some horrible poops a few months back when I would give her too many strawberries. Weird. Anyway you might monitor the acidic foods until it goes away. I've had good luck with Balmex vs. Desitin, the consistency is a lot smoother, so the application is more comfortable to her and easier for me.
  • You could try over the counter lotramin too and if it is yeast that will clear it right up!
  • Another thing that helps when you are using the warm wet washcloth is to blot, not wipe. And if you want to spray the stuff off but not in your sink, you can get those empty spray bottles and fill it with warm water.
    When Em's rash was bad, sometimes we just had to plunk her in the tub to get clean. It seemed to hurt her less to get a bath.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • eafogel said:
    Another thing that helps when you are using the warm wet washcloth is to blot, not wipe. And if you want to spray the stuff off but not in your sink, you can get those empty spray bottles and fill it with warm water. When Em's rash was bad, sometimes we just had to plunk her in the tub to get clean. It seemed to hurt her less to get a bath.

This. Wipes have a smidge of alcohol in them which causes the diaper rash to burn. A warm washcloth always helps with Olivia and she always loves a warm bath. Hope she feels better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • This is definitely going up her butt and around the front :( It's very red, patchy, and obviously painful for her. I just put her down and did the wet washcloth blotting along with some of my Dr. Newman's Nipple Creme, hopefully that will give her some relief for tonight!

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! 

• Sounds like everyone's got you covered.  We do cloth wipes with water, blow dry, and coconut oil. 

Hope it clears up soon!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"