May 2013 Moms
Options

Pwhew: Bed Sharing

My DD2 (3 months) has been pretty much sleeping in the bed with me since she's been born. I only keep a sheet and a 2 small blankets on the bed ( 1 for me & 1 receiving blanket for her) no pillows or comforter .

I believe it's a comfort thing for for me since my DH is never home, it's nice to have someone in the bed next to me. The couple days he was home she did not sleep in the bed.

My question is when did you or will you switch them to a crib? Her crib is right next to our bed so I don't know why I'm having a hard time deciding , but I just don't know. Really I think I'm most worried about SIDS. She is at the prime age ( 3 - 4 months ) and I'm not sure which is more beneficial. Anywho , what do you think? Keep sharing or time to switch her over.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Pwhew: Bed Sharing

• Options
    RoxZ32RoxZ32 member
    Sorry I have no advice but wanted to comment. I keep asking myself the same thing. My daughter has also slept in bed with me (my DH as well) pretty much from the first week or so after bringing her home. We tried the crib a couple weeks ago and but she was really fussy so I put her back in bed with me. Turns out she was fussy due to a supplement I was taking so I'm sure I could try her back in the crib now but I don't think I'm ready. I love having her near me in general plus I feel better because I'm right there to make sure she's okay. I'm sure people won't agree and think it's horrible to share a bed but every one and every baby is different and this works so well for us and I'm not ready to give this time up!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Do it however long you want. I would try not to get caught up in what's "normal" or what you think other people are doing. I bed shared with my first baby for...years! I liked it! He liked it! It's not like these babes are going to want to sleep with us forever. And the years go so quickly. I have 3 kids and I can tell you it goes fast!
    Baby #3 on the way!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does she sleep against you? She probably doesn't need the receiving blanket if she's getting the heat from your body.

I've been bedsharing only when one of them won't resettle in her RnP after a feeding. I like the snuggles but the suffocation risk still makes me really nervous, plus I'm worried about them falling if we're still doing this when they start rolling over. I guess if we are, I'll put up bed rails but really I'm hoping to continue co-sleeping (rather than actual bedsharing) until 6 mo. However, I'll do what I have to do to get some sleep. Luckily one of my girls is happy to sleep on her own.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    No she doesn't sleep against me , she is about a foot away, I put a blanket on because she wears a onsie, but I keep the air on 77 because its like 105 degrees outside,. She isn't rolling over yet. She does start to scoot towards me in the morning when she wakes up. She has been STTN since about 6 weeks and has been a very quiet sleeper ever since. But yes the suffocation risk is what scares me the most!
  • Options
    I did the same when I was sleeping in the bed in nursery with her.  I did this because she didn't put on enough weight one week.   Personally, she fed better and slept better when we bed shared. Like you I didn't have any pillows and separate blanket.  Instead of this, we are planning on taking one side off her cot bed so we can push it up level to our bed.  that way she's almost bed sharing but without any of the risks. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lolalipsy said:

I did the same when I was sleeping in the bed in nursery with her.  I did this because she didn't put on enough weight one week.   Personally, she fed better and slept better when we bed shared. Like you I didn't have any pillows and separate blanket.  Instead of this, we are planning on taking one side off her cot bed so we can push it up level to our bed.  that way she's almost bed sharing but without any of the risks. 

Hmm.. That is a great idea ! I will check and see if my crib allows this also!
  • Options
    My DD always slept good in her pack n play at night. But during the day she would want me to hold her during nap and now the last two weeks she will only sleep with me. I got her in her bed one night and she didnt wake up until one but would not sleep after that until I held her. I don't know what to do anymore, it seems easier just to bedshare but I really don't want her getting into that habit.
                              Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicphoto r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif
                            Anniversary
                            Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                           BFP#1- April 24th. M/c-April 30th. BFP#2-September 11th. EDD: May 25th. 
                                      It's a girl!!! (: Madison arrived on May 19th at 6:35 am (:
                                                               * July '15 January siggy challenge.*
  • Options
    I could of wrote this exactly a week ago. I came to the conclusion that I am enjoying being able to sleep through the night more than wanting my bed to myself and having to wake up who knows how many times. I know she wakes up but once she relizes I am there she falls back asleep, I worry that wouldn't happen if she where in hr own bed. For our family bed sharing works for us perfectly still, everyone is rested and that's what counts. Just make sure you follow all the safety precautions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love bedsharing.  Working all day, I only see him for a little bit in the evening and I also get all night.  He sleeps better and I sleep better having him next to me.  People are SO judgmental about it.  My baby sleeps best next to me and I'm able to nurse him at night without him screaming or really waking up 100%.  I'm not concerned about when we'll get him into his crib.  I figure he'll let me know when he needs his own space. 
    And he won't sleep within anything on him.  He sleeps in a long sleeve onesie because he hates footed sleepers or anything that if he stretches will restrict his movements.  He does sleep right next to me so he gets warmth from me. 
    Don't feel rushed into moving you LO.  When the time is right I think you're mama instincts will tell you. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 5/18/12. MMC @ 8 weeks. Measuring 6w5d. MC naturally 6/29/12. Forever loved.

2013-07-17 at 07.15.09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"