Breastfeeding

I think my boobs are broken!

I don't know how to start this topic off so I'll just start off by saying I went to my doctor on Monday and she is also a lactation consultant as well and I spent a good hour in there talking to her about all of my concerns and what was going on with me. She helped me out a lot but there were a few questions I forgot to ask her and some concerns I forgot to share with her that are new ones. I've been trying to get a hold of her since... Well Monday after my appt and I can't get in touch with her so I'm coming here in hopes to get some thoughts and advice from other women who are breastfeeding and maybe who are having the same problems as me and what you are doing to help.
As of Monday my LC told me that I needed to start feeding my son 20 mins on each boob (before I was switching back and fourth because he was falling asleep after one boob). So I started doing that in hopes that it would also help my milk supply. But it hasn't. I posted another post on here a few days ago about low milk supply at night but it doesn't seem to be just at night anymore. Today when I went to feed him he was hungry again soon after I had just fed him probably within about 45 minutes. And he only stayed on one boob for 10 minutes and the other for closer to 20. But when I went to feed him again it's like nothing was coming out, he was fussing and crying and the more he suckled on either one of my boobs the more upset he got. So I was forced to give him some formula. That was around 2:30 EST I also gave him the formula in hopes that when it comes time to feed him again I'll be full enough to do so. I also pump every two hours to keep my supply up if he's not awake yet to eat or I'm not around him. I do that until about 9 o'clock at night and then I give him formula because like I said my supply seems to be nothing at night. But I'm pumping to try to change that.
I guess what my questions are
Why does it seem that milk supply is getting low earlier and earlier as days pass?
Do I have to feed him at the EXACT times every day?
If I wait 3 hours instead of 2 to feed him will it make a difference in my supply?

I'm getting very upset and I don't know what to do. I only give him formula at night 1. because of my supply and 2. to get some sleep so I know my supply obv won't be good come 10-11 o'clock but I want to be good up until then and I'm not. All I want to do is be able to feed my son and I can't do it all day like I'd like. It's getting more and more frustrating and I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm starting to get really depressed about it.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Re: I think my boobs are broken!

• First of all, you are doing a great job.  This can be hard.

I don't have a lot of experience (lo is 14 weeks) but I was giving formula early on (after dr rec) and pumping trying to get more milk. After I spent some time with a LC I realized that was part of the problem.  I thought I had a low supply since lo was eating every 30 min.  After a weighed feeding I realized he was eating enough.  I camped out on the couch for a few weeks and just kept nursing.  I also cut out most of the pumping sessions because it was stressing me out.  Slowly I began to see his feedings spread out and the formula was out of our lives in less than two weeks (He was only getting two to four ounces a day).  FWIW, even now we have times where he will eat three times in two hours and I know my supply is strong,he is sometimes a little lazy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"