October 2013 Moms

paternity leave

https://shine.yahoo.com/royal-baby-july/prince-william-s-paternity-leave--a-bold-move---225249220.html

I can't believe there are actually dad's out there who won't take time off due to fear of looking bad at work. Seriously?? It wasn't even a question for my husband to take off once the baby gets here!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Feb Siggy Challenge
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: paternity leave

• ohkayohkay member
    My FI has saved up most of his vacation time for this year. I believe he plans to be off two weeks.

I like how the Brits can take a whole year of maternity leave... And what the wife doesn't use, the husband can. Pretty sweet!
  • A lot of places do not offer paternity leave.  So they would have to use their vacation and/or personal time if they have any.  They can use FMLA but that is unpaid time off.

I know the military gives 2 weeks paternity leave (unless you are deployed then you miss out on it).

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't know that he had a job to even take leave from. But does he really need for it to be paid?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my FI is so excited for his paternity leave! he gets 3 months off paid! (better than mine)
  • ohkay said:

My FI has saved up most of his vacation time for this year. I believe he plans to be off two weeks.

I like how the Brits can take a whole year of maternity leave... And what the wife doesn't use, the husband can. Pretty sweet!

This applies in Canada too. I think the mom and dad can split up to 35 weeks of the 52. You can take it concurrently or back to back. My h took 9 weeks last time but he'll just do a week or so with vac time this time.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• DH gets a week paid paternity leave and he's taking an additional week of vacation.  He also is not allowed to carry over any vacation time this year so he will be taking off my November birthday, the week of Thanksgiving, and Christmas Eve :-)  This was his last year that he could carry over one week of vacation and I'm super thankful that he could because it gives him almost half of my maternity leave off :-) 
  • ohkayohkay member
    Lia1303 said:

carawasa said:

my FI is so excited for his paternity leave! he gets 3 months off paid! (better than mine)

That's really awesome.
    So agree! His job must rock!
  • MH can take more than I can! I'm lucky to get 6 weeks and he can easily take 12!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• ohkayohkay member
    edited July 2013

This applies in Canada too. I think the mom and dad can split up to 35 weeks of the 52. You can take it concurrently or back to back. My h took 9 weeks last time but he'll just do a week or so with vac time this time.
    This makes me want to move to Canada!!
  • My DH only gets 1 paid day for leave and that's the day I'm in the hospital. I think if I have this one on the weekend, like I did our first, he doesn't get anytime off besides vacation time. He has what is considered dependent leave that he can use when the munchkin is sick but apparently that doesn't cover helping take care of a new munchkin. Not really something I agree with but he can take the vacation time so we will deal with it.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're really lucky because DH is going to be able to take off the same 12 weeks as I am (he has a government job). Everyone is shocked when we tell them because apparently the norm around here at least is 2 weeks, if that.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • H does not get PTO, but he is covered under FMLA for when I have the baby.  Other than that, he isn't worried about how it looks..it's more how much we can afford.  He carries me and will carry our LO on insurance so not going to work will result in us paying out that week vs. it coming out of his check.
  • My husband was one those dads that didn't take time off. It wasn't an option. His company didn't qualify for FMLA and he got minimal PTO. Plus his boss was a total hag about anyone missing work for any reason.

Since I planned on being a SAHM we couldn't risk him taking off too much time without fear of him losing his job. So he ended up taking off 1.5 days, including the day I gave birth. It definitely was not ideal but it is all we could do.

Now he is at a new company with new policies and we are excited for him to get time off with pay for baby, plus the option to work from home once a week.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • My husband is also taking 1-2 weeks off and using his vacation pay. We're Canadian and if we decided too he would be eligible to take paternity leave after my 15 weeks maternity leave. But then I would have to go back to work. We can't both be off at the same time. And with either maternity or paternity leave 15+35 weeks yes they are paid but you only recieve 55% of your wages unless you work for a large company/government that will bump you up to 85-95% at their expense. It's better for our family if I stay the remaining 35 weeks at home and cut my wages instead of his, since he makes much more than I do. But it's nice to have the options and I'm looking forward to my year off with our new little man.
  • My DH has to use 2 weeks of vacation time. It's pretty similar to my own as I had to use sick days that I had accumulated to have a paid leave. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sadly my DH gets longer off for paternity leave than I do for mat leave and his is paid.  I get 6 weeks unpaid, but I'm using 2 weeks of my vacation time as part of it so really it is only going to be 4 weeks not paid.  

DH gets 12 weeks off paid. And all he has to do is show up at the hospital. lol 
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband's job is giving him two weeks off. Some jobs will not only new father's to get time off so I'm grateful for his two weeks.
    Jess :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"