1st Trimester

anti-depressant

Anyone on an anti-depressant and plan to stay on it during pregnancy? What do you take and what dose? I'm taking 40mg Celexa which my doc says it ok, but of course i'm still concerned. I've read that ssri can cause autism.Thanks in advance.

Re: anti-depressant

• There is no link between SSRI's and autism (I used to be a behavioral therapist for early intervention and have studied the topic, but I'm not a doctor). Antidepressants are a risk/benefit situation. Many doctors are cautious because they can't without a doubt say it is safe, but they are technically okay with it. Honestly I think it's one of those things like having a glass of wine once a week - no doctor will tell you you can do it, but nothing will happen if you do (if you ONLY have that much). I think you're fine.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Check out my blog: www.lifescravin.blogspot.com
  • ceh789ceh789 member
    There is no known single cause for autism.  Some studies have linked SSRI use during pregnancy with increased autism incidence, but there is not a causal relationship that has been proven.

Most SSRI's are pregnancy class C.  For me, taking an antidepressant is not optional, so I am taking a reduced dose (100mg) of my 'usual' drug, Effexor.  My doctor and I talked about the various options and this is the one that is best for me.  I don't know that it's perfectly safe, but I do know that not taking it is unsafe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies. I appreciate the info.
  • I was taking 10mg of Lexapro for PPD with DS.  I started to wean off of them once I found out I was pregnant.  I am on my last week and I will do 5mg every other day.  I know that it would be easier if I were on the Lexapro, but I just don't want to chance anything.  I told my OB and he said they will prescribe them immediately after I give birth this time. 
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm also on 40mg celexa and just found out I'm preg. I immediately cut some of my pills into 3/4 size and took that last night. I'm planning on trying to wean off unless my OBGYN says to stay on it. My last pregnancy 5 years ago, she told me to get off of it. I had a hard time not being on it. My regular doctor wanted me to stay on it so I really don't know what the right answer is. I know I've read plenty of people took it while preggo and their babies were fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"