Parenting

Sofamonkey

I didn't want to hijack your food thread, so I hope it's ok that I started a new one. I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind me asking how you found out about your food intolerances.. I've been struggling with stomach stuff for awhile, but was told I didn't have a gluten intolerance. However, a girl DH tutors was told the same thing and finally cut out gluten and is much improved. I'd love to compare my symptoms to yours to see if might be worth trying to cut stuff out or going back to the doctor.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                     DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black

Re: Sofamonkey

• Just wanted to butt in like the nosey fucker I am...it took my Mom over 20 years and a few surgeries to be diagnosed with diverticulitis and gluten sensitivity. I would seek a 2nd opinion and also cut back and see if it help. Stomach issues are miserable it can't hurt to just try. Even if a doctor says "no" if it makes you feel better it's valid.

Sorry you're dealing with this :-(
    Butt away! In college, I had an upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy and the celiac blood test with no answers. My symptoms resolved on their own, but they're back again and getting worse, which I don't get at all. How could they go away and why are they coming back?! For reference, I get really full really easily and then have the need to burp a ton accompanied by nausea. A new symptom I didn't have in college is heartburn and some reflux. I'm so frustrated!

DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • I assume they've checked you for a hernia as well as gallbladder issues? Is it agitated worse by fatty/greasy foods also?

Well, the doc actually said "you have a hiatal hernia, but it's not causing your symptoms." I don't have much more info there because I was an idiot college student without my parents there and didn't really think to ask questions or advocate for myself. I don't really notice a difference in fatty vs less fatty foods affecting me. Just eating meals in general.

DS is 1DAF

• Loading the player...
  • Just wanted to butt in like the nosey fucker I am...it took my Mom over 20 years and a few surgeries to be diagnosed with diverticulitis and gluten sensitivity. I would seek a 2nd opinion and also cut back and see if it help. Stomach issues are miserable it can't hurt to just try. Even if a doctor says "no" if it makes you feel better it's valid.

Sorry you're dealing with this :-(
    Butt away! In college, I had an upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy and the celiac blood test with no answers. My symptoms resolved on their own, but they're back again and getting worse, which I don't get at all. How could they go away and why are they coming back?! For reference, I get really full really easily and then have the need to burp a ton accompanied by nausea. A new symptom I didn't have in college is heartburn and some reflux. I'm so frustrated!
    Have you tried cutting any of the following:

Coffee/Caffeine
    Alcohol
    Greasy foods
    Gluten
    Acidic foods

I know a few people where some combination of eliminating those helps with GI discomfort.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • I did a blood draw at my docs where they tested for sensitivities to a variety of foods.  We just did some testing for celiac too & I should know in another week or so.

Basically, I got tested because P needed to be tested.  She keeps getting diarrhea every few weeks & I know something was going on.  She sometimes says her belly is full or that her belly hurts. 
  • Oh, and for her, we had already cut out dairy & then did a food challenge.  Cooked cheese didn't seem to bother her as much.

You can always do an elimination & then a food challenge.  Keep a food diary & a symptom diary if you are doing that though.  Keep in mind that it is a slow process.  Sometimes it will take several days - a week for things to feel better or re-affect you when you introduce & do a food challenge.  If you do a fod challenge, read up on it & introduce slowly.  GL!
  • Thanks so much!

DS is 1DAF

• Why are allergens always the best foods and beverages? Coffee, alcohol, cheese, bread...

Sorry that you're both having issues. I hope that you and P feel better after you start your new diet.

I know, wtf?! I'm not sure I can eliminate my morning coffee and live to tell the tale. It is literally the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning!

DS is 1DAF

• The thing with intolerances or sensitivities is that there's no real test for them. People with gluten intolerance don't have celiac disease,but their symptoms improve with the elimination of the offending food. Like lactose intolerance - it's not a milk allergy but lots of people self diagnose with LI because they feel better when they don't drink milk.

So like sofa said, try an elimination diet but only cut out one thing at a time. I'd also suggest a symptom and food diary, and discussion with an RD.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Why are allergens always the best foods and beverages? Coffee, alcohol, cheese, bread...

Sorry that you're both having issues. I hope that you and P feel better after you start your new diet.
    Fermented products? Although in coffee's case I think it's most the fact it's acidic and a stimulant.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"