3rd Trimester

Low Maternal Weight Gain

I had gastric bypass four years ago and now I am 27 weeks pregnant with my first child. I've gained no weight at all since I got pregnant and at my appointment yesterday, my doctor told me that the baby's growth percentile had dropped from 40th to 23rd since my last appointment 4 weeks ago. My doctor wanted me to gain 20 pounds with this pregnancy and so far I've only lost weight. Since I had gastric bypass so long ago, I can eat relatively normally, but it's still not enough. My weight has been stable for two years and I've been at a healthy weight since then. I'm really worried about his growth and my ability to eat enough for the both of us. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm also really worried about being put on bed rest, as I can't really afford to not be working for a long time.

Re: Low Maternal Weight Gain

• I am 33weeks and 2days and have only gained 6lbs. My doctor is not worried. I am 5'8" and was average weight before I got pregnant. I am way below where the chart says I should be but the baby is growing fine.

I wouldn't worry about it unless the doctor finds something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Have you googled anything about gastric bypass and pregnancy? I'd start there.
  • Loading the player...
  • roo1ooroo1oo member
    edited July 2013
    Gastric bypass limits your diet as well as your portion sizes, right? In order to gain weight you need to eat more calorie dense foods. Things like peanut butter, avocado, full fat yogurt, whole milk, cheese, quinoa will help you get some extra calories without filling up your stomach. That's not license to go eat fried chicken or cheesecake for every meal, but healthy, calorie dense foods will help a lot. I'd try to adjust your diet some before your next appointment and see if you can gain a bit of weight. You'll have to figure out what you can and can't eat though, a google search would be a good place to start.

Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist if you're both concerned about the baby's growth. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would also check in with your bypass doctor. He may have referrals for support groups that may be able to give you ideas, or nutritionist that specialize in bypass nutrition. A normal nutritionist may not be as helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"