Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Water

How old is your LO and how much water do you give to them during the day?  LO is 10 1/2 months and I offer water 3x a day with each meal (about 2 oz each serving).  LO does drink it, but a lot of the time he dribbles it out of his mouth for fun.  Is this too much?

Re: Water

• gemmeggemmeg member
    My 9 month old's ped told us water wasn't a big issue at this point.  If your LO has regular bottle feedings (whether its bm or formula) they're most likely getting plenty of water.  The only time the ped said to make sure they drink extra water was if LO spent time outdoors (we live in South Texas, so the heat is crazy).  I got a spill-proof sippy straw cup and have it available to LO all day. He takes sips throughout the day, but like you said, a lot dribbles out.  Mostly he plays with the cup and chews on the soft rubber straw, but it is getting him used to drinking more water, which he'll need to do once he's a year old and the bottle feedings decrease/stop.   
  • Just FYI, most filters do not remove fluoride from tap water. You have to have a reverse osmosis or activated alumina filter to remove it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • gemmeggemmeg member
    The ped hasn't said anything about it in previous appointments, but I plan on asking about it at LO's 9 month checkup next week.
  • sgreen13 said:
    What has your pediatrician said about fluoride? Just wondering if we should give our daughter filtered water from the fridge or water straight from the tap. I've read conflicting advice when I do a google search.
    Where we live there is no fluoride in the tap water, but we give him bottled water anyway. He gets a daily vitamin with fluoride.
  • We put 4 oz in her silly each day and offer it at meals, then put in the fridge. She drinks it better cold. She drinks most of it.

• I just give DS sips at most meals if I remember or if we're outside or on a walk I bring it with us. I asked about fluoride and his pedi said they don't normally start taking it until 12 months. 
  • K is almost 1 and I offer him water mixed with juice 2-3 times a day. About 3-5 ounces at a time. So only about 6 ounces of water a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"