Trying to Get Pregnant

Trisomy 18

I got a call this morning from my dr on the genetic testing on my baby. It came back that it had trisomy 18.

He told me that he didn't suggest any more genetic testing that sometimes it just happens. Might have something to do with my AMA because over the age of 35 chromosomal defects can increase. He said that it probably only increases my chances of having another baby with it by about 1%, but I have 99% chance it will be fine. He told me babies born with trisomy 18 never have good out outcome. Also, there was nothing I did to cause this mc.

Alright knowing all of this is suppose to make me feel better that it wasn't my fault or anything I did and I can possibly have a healthy baby in the future. But, also knowing all this is making me morn my baby all over again and regardless of what he says still scares me for any future pregnancy.

This probably isn't the board I needed to post this on because I'm not sure if many have had this happen to them, but I just needed to vent.

Fucking bump!!!!

Re: Trisomy 18

• So sorry for your loss. Glad you have a diagnosis and that they are pretty confident that subsequent babies will have a low chance of having the same outcome. Take care of yourself during this emotional time. T&p for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BFP 4/17/13, MC began 5/2/13 @ 6 weeks
    EDD 12/27/13
    TTC since 2/2013
    BFP#2 9/23/13 EDD 6/8/14

My FF Chart

imageimageimage
  • I'm sorry about the T18 diagnosis, and your doctor is right in that it is a rare occurrence, and is unlikely to happen again. Most T18, babies don't make it to term, and those that do, often have a very rough road with a short lifespan. There is nothing you could have done to prevent it, and I'm so sorry you are dealing with the pain again. ::Hugs::

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Im so sorry:(
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • I'm so sorry Pinto! You're a part of this community, so there's no reason to feel this wasn't the right board. I'll be sending happy thoughts your way.

(((Hugs)))
    TTC April 2013
    M/C 1/15 @ 6 weeks
    RE 8/16
    Monitored Clomid 11/15
    M/C 12/16 @ 6 weeks
    Clomid & Ovidrel Shot
    M/C 2/16 @ 8 weeks
    *Currently on Clomid (monitored) and waiting on tissue results.
  • Sorry that you had to go through that experience of loss.  Any loss is painful to process, even if it was a low chance event that's unlikely to happen again. Hope you feel better soon and best wishes to you for a happy, healthy pregnancy next time *hugs*
  • I'm sorry you have to go through this. Wishing you some peace with this news and the very biggest for a successful pregnancy around the corner!

TTC#1 since May 2012. Low AMH, High FSH.
    Factor II (Prothrombin) Mutation
    TTGP Award Best PIP 2013 & 2014

My Chart

• I am so sorry :( Best wishes for your continued TTC journey.

• Im so sorry for your loss.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker}

Lots of love TBBFF lobosabby!! Always rooting for the TTGP girls

My Chart

• So sorry you are going through this. Sometimes OBs are so desensitized from these types of situations. We are all pulling for you!!

BFP #1: 3/23/13, EDD: 11/22/13, MC: 4/2/13
    Convinced it was a boy and missing him every day!
    BFP #2: 10/25/13, EDD: 7/3/14, Grow baby Grow! Anabelle Rose born 6/6/14 

image     image

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic August Siggy Challenge: If Babies Could Talk
  • Thanks everyone. Of course when I called my DH at work to tell him he says to me did he say the med you take may have contributed to it. SERIOUSLY????

He's a dr too and I know he thinks like a dr but damn! Right before I got pregnant I had surgery on my head. The drilled a hole in my head and I had to take lots of Percocet. Since I'd been trying for so long to get preg I never even thought twice about it at the time. Not to mention I didn't have a choice I had a freaking hole in my head I needed it.

I also take baclofen on a daily basis and I can't get off of it or I can't walk. So yes in my crazy mind I always wonder if this will cause crazy screwed up eggs ...... But did you have to remind me of that right now!!!!!

NO I didn't ask. I was trying to compose myself enough to write down what he was saying and I was shaking so bad I could barely do that. You're a freaking Dr. Figure that shit out on your own!!!!!!

UUUUGGGGG!!!!!
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • I'm so sorry for your loss Pinto. I'm glad you got to find out that you didn't do anything to cause the m/c. Please take care of yourself.
  • Pp's have said it all, just want to say sorry for your loss and please don't think about blaming yourself! and I am rooting for you in your journey!
  • I'm so sorry pinto, I had MC diagnosed with trisomy 15 and that one is not compatible with life. Now I have a beautiful baby and I'm in 36, so please don't lose hope. (Hugs)
  • I'm sorry Pinto. Glad that there are some answers and that there was nothing you could have done to prevent it. I know that doesn't change how you feel about it right now. Lots of love to you and your family. Good luck on your journey.

Ps- I know we all love our DH/SO but they can be such men. And I'm sorry that he revived that guilt. Everyone here knows that you can't blame yourself.

imageimage

• I'm so sorry for the news. It's hard to relive the loss all over again. <3 GL to you if you continue trying for a baby.

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am so sorry :-(
    **~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• Thanks everyone. Of course when I called my DH at work to tell him he says to me did he say the med you take may have contributed to it. SERIOUSLY???? He's a dr too and I know he thinks like a dr but damn! Right before I got pregnant I had surgery on my head. The drilled a hole in my head and I had to take lots of Percocet. Since I'd been trying for so long to get preg I never even thought twice about it at the time. Not to mention I didn't have a choice I had a freaking hole in my head I needed it. I also take baclofen on a daily basis and I can't get off of it or I can't walk. So yes in my crazy mind I always wonder if this will cause crazy screwed up eggs ...... But did you have to remind me of that right now!!!!! NO I didn't ask. I was trying to compose myself enough to write down what he was saying and I was shaking so bad I could barely do that. You're a freaking Dr. Figure that shit out on your own!!!!!! UUUUGGGGG!!!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss.  You should tell your husband to learn some bedside manners.  Most causes of miscarriages (including Trisomy 18) are just bad luck in the genetic lottery.  Nothing that you did caused your baby to have Trisomy 18 and I think it's crappy that your husband would even suggest such a thing.  I would send him this link:  https://www.trisomy18.org/site/PageServer?pagename=whatisT18_whatis and then tell him that he owes you an apology. 

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss and everything you're going through.  ((Hugs))
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the link.
    I've always worried about my baclofen but my ob doesn't seem concerned with it. He just said I have to discontinue it as soon as I find out I'm pregnant. My neurologist told me she has lots of patients on it also who go on to have normal pregnancies. Even patients on the baclofen pump and take it the whole pregnancy with no problems. I'm lucky enough that whatever is going on with me is auto immune and pregnancy seems to make it go away. So now I just got to get preg again.

Y'all are such wonderful ladies on this board (regardless what anyone says lol). You have really made this news much easier for me. I can't thank each and every one of you enough!
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • I'm so sorry, Pinto.  Be good to yourself.

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• I'm so sorry for your loss.
    When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.
  • mmb248mmb248 member
    I'm so sorry for your loss.  I cannot imagine trying to process that information or trying to keep from worrying about it happening in the future.  Big creepy internet hugs.

PS - I'm sorry your DH acted like a douchenozzle.  I hope he realizes how unnecessary his comment was and apologizes soon.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • mmb248 said:

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I cannot imagine trying to process that information or trying to keep from worrying about it happening in the future.  Big creepy internet hugs.

PS - I'm sorry your DH acted like a douchenozzle.  I hope he realizes how unnecessary his comment was and apologizes soon.

I'm sure he doesn't realize it.... He's a man and thinks like a doctor. I don't think sometimes he can separate dr/husband with me sometimes. It's a fault that i have to sometime accept But trust me tonight he's going to hear about it! He called the dr and got the full report so he could look over it.

Fucking bump!!!!
  • My DH brought the report home and it said she was a girl.

We had picked out a name because I knew it was a girl. Her name was going to be Sophia Madeline. So she now officially has a name.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • I'm so sorry Pinto!

image  image

• My DH brought the report home and it said she was a girl. We had picked out a name because I knew it was a girl. Her name was going to be Sophia Madeline. So she now officially has a name.
    I'm so sorry for your loss Pinto.

I think you and your DH chose a beautiful name.

• I'm sorry that you are going through this. Just because something is out of our control doesn't mean it hurts any less. Hugs for you
    TTC #1 since Oct. 2012 | BFP Feb. 21, 2014!
    imageimage
  • Pinto, I am very sorry for your loss.  Your daughter has a beautiful name.

Please do not blame yourself or the meds your DH is taking.  Trisomy 18 is an extra chromosome on the 18th Chromosome and is not realted to medication/actions.

:::creepy internet hugs:::

• I'm sorry for your loss of Sophia Madeline, Pinto. You chose a beautiful name for her.

As for your DH, people process grief differently, and it may be just his way - if he finds a reason to latch on to, he can understand it better, and maybe prevent it and/or it won't feel so arbitrary and unfair.

However, he owes you an apology for insinuating that your medication (which I assume you take so you can function properly!) had anything to do with it. Especially since as a trained physician, he should KNOW BETTER. Either his genetics instructors were really poor, or grief made him forget everything he knows about human aneuploidy (trisomy). Your med mimics the neurotransmitter GABA. The only relationship it has to gametogenesis is that they're close together in the alphabet.

BabyFruit Ticker
    EDD: December 8, 2014
  • I talked to him about what he said. He was so full of apologies. He said he meant for me to ask if my meds could ever cause any problems. He said he was just a little thrown off when I gave him the news and didn't mean for it to come off like that.

My DH never told me she was a girl actually we sat around the table with my 14 yr old son and all looked at the report together. My son thought it was cool how they showed the chromosomes. And it was my 14 yr old that told me she was a girl. I prob turned white as a ghost. I asked him how he knew .... He said "mama she has two X chromosomes did you ever learn anything in school?"
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I am waiting for genetic testing results as well and I am (in a horrible way) hoping that it was some kind of chromosomal defect so that I know that it wasn't anything about my own body that caused the loss.  That being said, I know that once we get the results it will start the grieving process all over again (no matter what they say).

This is not fair at all and I hope that you find peace in the coming days and months and that you get your rainbow baby sooner rather than later.  Be kind to yourself and take care.  (((hugs)))

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• Thanks everyone. Of course when I called my DH at work to tell him he says to me did he say the med you take may have contributed to it. SERIOUSLY???? He's a dr too and I know he thinks like a dr but damn! Right before I got pregnant I had surgery on my head. The drilled a hole in my head and I had to take lots of Percocet. Since I'd been trying for so long to get preg I never even thought twice about it at the time. Not to mention I didn't have a choice I had a freaking hole in my head I needed it. I also take baclofen on a daily basis and I can't get off of it or I can't walk. So yes in my crazy mind I always wonder if this will cause crazy screwed up eggs ...... But did you have to remind me of that right now!!!!! NO I didn't ask. I was trying to compose myself enough to write down what he was saying and I was shaking so bad I could barely do that. You're a freaking Dr. Figure that shit out on your own!!!!!! UUUUGGGGG!!!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss.  You should tell your husband to learn some bedside manners.  Most causes of miscarriages (including Trisomy 18) are just bad luck in the genetic lottery.  Nothing that you did caused your baby to have Trisomy 18 and I think it's crappy that your husband would even suggest such a thing.  I would send him this link:  https://www.trisomy18.org/site/PageServer?pagename=whatisT18_whatis and then tell him that he owes you an apology. 

Yup.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

All are welcome

• I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I am waiting for genetic testing results as well and I am (in a horrible way) hoping that it was some kind of chromosomal defect so that I know that it wasn't anything about my own body that caused the loss.  That being said, I know that once we get the results it will start the grieving process all over again (no matter what they say).

This is not fair at all and I hope that you find peace in the coming days and months and that you get your rainbow baby sooner rather than later.  Be kind to yourself and take care.  (((hugs)))

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's definitely a bitter sweet feeling. I will be thinking of you and hopefully you won't have to wait much longer to get your test results.

Fucking bump!!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's definitely a bitter sweet feeling. I will be thinking of you and hopefully you won't have to wait much longer to get your test results.

Thank you.  The doctor said two weeks which isn't long thankfully.

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

All are welcome

• So sorry about your loss and the difficult time you're having. :(
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • So sorry. There's a fb page of a little boy born with tri18. Check it out. I think it's called praying for Corbin. He's 4 months old. There's still hope!

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"