May 2013 Moms

Food intolerance/reflux

LizzyG11LizzyG11 member
edited July 2013 in May 2013 Moms
Hey ladies, still having eating issues here. Now she has stopped gaining weight and has even more difficulty eating :( We saw the pedi yesterday and he said either silent reflux (arching/pulling away from the breast when offered, not eating unless she is starving, gulping/coughing/gagging during and in between feedings, violent hiccups, congestion) or a dietary intolerance (mucousy poop which could also be from the thrush medicine, and red bum, lots of gas and explosive farts/poops). I'm vegan so it's not dairy or eggs, so as of yesterday I cut out soy and nuts and she is going on a 30 day trial of Prevacid and bethanechol. She is EBF. I was wondering how long it takes for dietary changes to start showing improvements? What about the Prevacid? She is taking two doses a day. Have any of your pedis prescribed bethanechol? I'm a little wary of it because it works in baby's nervous system to cause the sphincter at the top of the tummy to stay shut and it can cause tummy pain and make gas worse (harder for baby to burp if the gate is closed), but I am not a pedi so I'm not an expert...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Food intolerance/reflux

• For the food intolerance, it can take up to 2 weeks to see improvement by the time it is out of your system.

DS is on Nexium. It took about 5 days to start seeing improvement. And it wasn't less spit up, it was just a happier baby. I'm not familiar with bethanechol.

DS had an upper GI to rule out any other issues besides reflux. Has your doctor mentioned any imaging to look for issues?
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Ceefome said:
    For the food intolerance, it can take up to 2 weeks to see improvement by the time it is out of your system. DS is on Nexium. It took about 5 days to start seeing improvement. And it wasn't less spit up, it was just a happier baby. I'm not familiar with bethanechol. DS had an upper GI to rule out any other issues besides reflux. Has your doctor mentioned any imaging to look for issues?

Thanks for your response! Pedi said if there isn't any improvement on the meds and with the elimination diet then we'll do some more testing. If she improves then after a period I can possibly start slowly reintroducing foods. I'm hoping more testing won't be necessary!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"