December 2013 Moms

Pikes Peak at 25 weeks? 14,000 Feet

SigirSigir member
edited July 2013 in December 2013 Moms
Any input on going high altitudes at 25 weeks? We are vacationing in Denver, and I just bought tickets for the Pikes Peak Cog Railway and was getting really excited... then I read the warnings on their site about asking your doctor if you're pregnant. Then, I did some googling and it looks like you are not supposed to drive up to the summit after 7 months, that there is actually a regulation on that road? (But I can't find that from a reliable source). 

I am going to ask my doctor at my next apt next week, but what do you all think- does anyone have any experience going to high altitudes while pregnant? I am not a nervous nellie, but after googling I did get a little nervous. Pikes Peak is 14,000 feet. I really want to do it if I can, but don't want to do anything that will put Jr. at risk. 

Anyone have any wisdom to share? TIA!

Re: Pikes Peak at 25 weeks? 14,000 Feet

• esf60esf60 member
    I wouldn't. Spoke at length to my dr about it. Her point was that if you're not getting enough oxygen, you will breathe harder. If the baby isn't, he/she can't do that. You and the baby will probably be ok, but in the event you're not, you'd never forgive yourself. Of course, speak to your own doc and see what she says.

• You'll be good! But double check with your doc.  I'm from the springs :) I did the incline with when I was pregnant with DS (I hiked up to the top of Pikes peak).  Of course, I got the okay from my doc but I've always been a runner/hiker, so there were no issues.  Just PLENTY of water.  And yes, the road to drive up to the peak are closed during certain months because of weather.  I think the cog goes year round tho. 

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Also, rest when you need to, don't try to push yourself.  Make sure you're acclimated to Colorado as well first and the elevation.  As in, don't go up on the cog the first day you get there!! Have fun though! :)

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

• I live in denver and I am an active person. My doc told me not to go that high during pregnancy. 14ers are off limits. If you live at sea level and are visiting here, I don't think I would chance it.
  • I live in MI and vacationed in TN last week. I did do some hiking but overall my feet and ankles were swollen the entire time. I did ok breathing wise, but that was at only 8000 feet. We took lots of breaks and I carried water everywhere. My opinion...5 weeks from now and double the altitude, probably not. I'd feel miserable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Expecting our first, baby BOY, 12/12/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"