November 2013 Moms

Downs test?!

Has anybody had a low risk downs result, but on the scan the babies skin at the back of the neck is 1mm thicker than should be?? Confused and worried D:

Best Answer

Answers

• I'm a little confused at what tests you are talking about. The first trimester screening has a blood test and an ultrasound, also known as the NT scan. This test is fairly accurate, measures the neck, and is done around 11 weeks.

The Quad Screen or Triple Screen are done in the second trimester and are not as accurate. This is done between 15-20 weeks (if done at all).

Are these the tests you are talking about? What were your actual results?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I also had one soft marker found in my Level 2 ultrasound.  Bright spot on heart.  We declined all genetic testing up until this point, so I had no markers to base anything off of.  Even though 1 soft marker is pretty low risk from my research, we decided on the Harmony Test (same as the Verifi test mentioned above- very high accuracy for assessing Down's).  We got fantastic results.  If you are experiencing anxiety about this and your Dr is not helping to calm that, I would ask about the Harmony, Verifi, or Materni21 test (all basically the same, just different companies) to calm your worries over the next few months.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Basically I couldn't have the combined downs testing because I was too far into my pregnancy, so all I could have was the downs blood test, my result was very low for the risk of downs baby, I had all my scans, nothing was mentioned until my 22week scan I think? To check more in detail of the bones ect... That's when the lady mentioned about the skin thickness being a marker for downs, so I saw a doctor soon after and he seemed confused and was talking about having anothe scan to check again, or having an amino but I was told you have that early in pregnancy not 20+
    An just worried that's all D:
    Just seeing if anybody had any experience of this happening.
    And thank you ladies for advice x x
  • Amino test (needle in tummy)
  • Amnio is usually done between 15-20 weeks, but can be done later. I believe there is a greater risk of doing it earlier, not later. I would also look into the blood tests (harmony, verifi, MaterniT) if you are actually considering amnio.

Other than that, I'm still confused of what scans/tests you did. If you can actually come up with the names of "all your scans", then I can give better advice.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"